Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 09:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,667,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are you the only one in the world identifying as a dog? Have their been studies published in legitimate peer-reviewed journals about this? What are the experts saying about it?

The answers will determine whether or not I accept there are things at play causing you to do this - even if I don't understand it.
Why does any of that matter?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,613,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Our future is getting bleaker every day that we allow backward-thinking people to fill kid's heads with their nonsense.
Don't be down! Our future's actually very bright indeed! Surveys show that young people are overwhelmingly more compassionate and open minded than their parents. LGBT prejudice, religion, racism, it's all falling away as older folks die off.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Don't be down! Our future's actually very bright indeed! Surveys show that young people are overwhelmingly more compassionate and open minded than their parents. LGBT prejudice, religion, racism, it's all falling away as older folks die off.
Let me ask you a question, do you want medical researchers to try to figure out cures for homosexuality and transsexualism?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:59 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,684,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
If it doesn't concern anyone at all, why is he going so public? Because he WANTS it to concern the general public. He WANTS this to become accepted as normal. He WANTS to become the poster child for transgender folks.

Thankfully, when presented with a situation that is deliberately broadcasted and made public (with an agenda) we have every right to decide if it is something we agree with or not. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to do whatever he wants with his own body. It's the fact that he (and the transgender community/supporters) are saying that this MUST be acceptable to everyone or else they are "backward".

For someone who claims the right to be and think whatever they want to be and think, there is very little tolerance of those who may think differently.
I think that if one is in disagreement with the subject, though lacking openmindedness to what others may be experiencing, is one thing. However, it is the outwardly critical, cold and thoughtless remarks made about something that is clearly not understood, which is unnecessary.

I do not know what those in this position or anything else may experience either, but I suppose I was blessed with the ability to feel compassion for anyone struggling with something, though being foreign to me.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:04 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,595,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
he (as Bruce) would have felt freedom to do all this if he did not make all money he has now (from his time as Bruce) and now he has the freedom to explore his female longings.

But, if he were a struggling man trying to live paycheck to paycheck, he probably wouldn't have time for all these thoughts.

I feel sorry for anyone going through this; cannot relate as I'm female and cannot even remember a time I wanted to be male. I was attracted to men, however, so I guess I'm OK.

I can't imagine being as torn as Bruce/Caitlyn was/is. The journey is not over either.

Basically, he's said as much in an interview. Yet, married Kris, with two failed marriages behind him.

Identifying as female, wanting to live as a female, his choice; what I don't understand, why continue to force himself into marriage, as someones husband?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 16 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,609,128 times
I said it once and I'll say it again.

Even the term "mental disorder" is of questionable value.

Whether TG, TS, gay, etc. or not actually is a disorder is a Red Herring - an irrelevancy that easily diverts the conversation from the focus of the topic. Even if it IS a disorder, that assumes mental disorder = worthy of disrespect as surely as 4 + 8 = 12. The real relevancy is whether those phenomena labeled "disorders" actually does pose a plausible threat to anyone else's life, physical or mental health/functionality, essential personal dignity, human rights, legitimate political liberties, money, property, bank accounts, or even assets of high personal and/or sentimental value despite their low $ value.

I have yet to see how gender orientation and gender identification* qualifies for anything remotely resembling a threat to another's well-being.

*On a broader note, we can add Aspergers to the list, for that's a "disorder" expressed most famously via poor or otherwise clumsy social skills. Or how about people who have clinically significant high levels of forgetfulness? Are we going to look down on those kinds of people too? Well, actually large blocks of society do look down on those with the two conditions due to their being an annoyance or inconvenience, but that still does not change the fact that many people today would oppose mistreatment of even those people in such away (although even this is a fairly recent development).

The point is that for all our social progress over the past 100 years, and even 50 years, we humans still have a hell of a long way to go before we can legitimately call ourselves a civilized species.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,995,640 times
Guess that bumper sticker is true..

Old 06-07-2015, 11:08 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,684,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
If anything it's an insult to men. I don't know what's going on in this country but all of this effeminization of men is repulsive and I'm glad I'll never bow to this stupid sub culture. In my honest opinion any man that wants to be a woman has some sort of undiagnosed mental condition. Like I said he can change everything about himself, and we can all call him a she, but at the end of the day "caitlyn" is a man and we all know it. Anyone who says otherwise is either 1. A liar or 2. Delusional, either way his "transformation" has an overall negative effect imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It has nothing to do with the effeminization of men. Transgender men and effeminenate men are two different things. Negative effect on whom? Why does this bother you so much? I really don't think most people are not terribly bothered and really don't care beyond a little curiosity because it is an unusual situation that isn't seen every day. No one is asking you to "bow" to anything. It isn't a sub culture.

What do you mean by "bow to this subculture?" You are really building it into something it isn't as if you are seeing transsexuals around any corner trying to lure you in. Have you actually known anyone who has tried to recruit you?
Yeah..so much for "Land O' the Free"....and "sub-culture"? Overall negative affect? (Imagine the home life those with this sort of thinking were raised in).

Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I said it once and I'll say it again.

Even the term "mental disorder" is of questionable value.

Whether TG, TS, gay, etc. or not actually is a disorder is a Red Herring - an irrelevancy that easily diverts the conversation from the focus of the topic. Even if it IS a disorder, that assumes mental disorder = worthy of disrespect as surely as 4 + 8 = 12. The real relevancy is whether those phenomena labeled "disorders" actually does pose a plausible threat to anyone else's life, physical or mental health/functionality, essential personal dignity, human rights, legitimate political liberties, money, property, bank accounts, or even assets of high personal and/or sentimental value despite their low $ value.

I have yet to see how gender orientation and gender identification* qualifies for anything remotely resembling a threat to another's well-being.

*On a broader note, we can add Aspergers to the list, for that's a "disorder" expressed most famously via poor or otherwise clumsy social skills. Or how about people who have clinically significant high levels of forgetfulness? Are we going to look down on those kinds of people too? Well, actually large blocks of society do look down on those with the two conditions due to their being an annoyance or inconvenience, but that still does not change the fact that many people today would oppose mistreatment of even those people in such away (although even this is a fairly recent development).
The reason that this isn't a red herring is the fact that if something is classified as a disorder, medical research is done, or can be done, to find treatments. When these types of issues are not classified as disorders people try to "normalize" it. The issue is that obviously gay people and transgender people are often depressed, this is evident by their suicide rate. This depression isn't really helped by SRS. So by saying these conditions aren't disorders, we are doing a diservice to the people that have them because it becomes taboo to research treatments.

Let me give you an example. I myself seriously suffered from OCD, depression hypochondria and still do suffer, albeit less. If someone told me that I was normal for this, that wouldn't do anything to improve my situation. I needed treatment and I still do. If OCD became considered normal and it became taboo to work on effective cures, it would do me and everyone else that suffers from it a disservice.

Do not get me wrong. It is absolutely wrong to treat people that suffer from these conditions badly. They should have all the same rights as everyone else, obviously. We should have compassion for them, just as we should with everyone else that has mental disorders. However, we shouldn't kid ourselves, these people have mental disorders, but so do many others, including myself.

Quote:
The point is that for all our social progress over the past 100 years, and even 50 years, we humans still have a hell of a long way to go before we can legitimately call ourselves a civilized species.
Yes, but what is going on, on this forum isn't really that uncivilized. ISIS, religious dictatorship, murder, theft, rape and the meat industry are uncivilized, not fairly reasonable discussion.

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 06-07-2015 at 11:58 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 12:37 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,173,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Having a body that does not agree with your mind can be a horrible disability.

This is what I don't understand about the whole transgender thing: the notion that gender should determine sex, instead of sex determining gender.

Sex is a biological state (thus, objective) determined by the chromosomes. Gender is a construct (thus, subjective) that has always been a function of sex. That is, sex determined gender.

Now, some people who feel/think that they are the opposite gender are operating under the assumption that their (subjective) minds are correct, and their (objective) bodies are wrong.

I just don't understand the basis that transgender people use for determining that their minds are correct and their bodies are incorrect, nor do I understand why someone would change the objective to conform with the subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies