Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Pretty hard to fake those little guns boats! Been there seen that in the 80's during the tanker wars. They are the real deal and will hole a ship in a heart beat, ala USS Cole!!!! Cap sould have turned lose with his sea whiz or the ginzo gun and wasted the little turds..........

P.S.
Ginzo gun= Automatic cannon made in Italy 3in I think...
Sea WHiz= 20mm vulcan canon made in the USA. Which makes a distinct sound when fired at you! Typically used as anti-missle anti-aircraft defense
Did Iran deny the incident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Did Iran deny the incident?
GMA said this AM tha Iran claims it's all fake....

Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
GMA said this AM tha Iran claims it's all fake....

Thanks. All this NH coverage is edging out that coverage. All I saw was the video and audio.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
The incident with Iran is laughable, and bush is using a grainy video of a couple of speedboats as proof that Iran is a threat.

Can our war ships not vaporize a couple of little speedboats zipping around in front of them? If not, we've got bigger problems than Iran. Bush is itching BAD to get into a new war before he leaves office. Sadly, we will likely end up with a hawk in office again because the media is pushing them. Hillary will not pull out of the middle east, if anything she will lower the number of troops there.

Get ready for endless war folks. War will never be over for America again until we go broke, which probably isn't that far away.
It's laughable but there is nothing we the people of the US can do about it. If he went an attacked Iran what can we do to stop him? I really want to hear some answers...

Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
TNbound

Would you have preferred that

1 The Hormuz incident not be reported at all

2 The video not be shown released

3 The audio not be released

4 The speed boat be vaporized

5 All of the above

6 None of the above

What would the right course of action be?

OR is it your position that the video and audio are all fabricated by the US Gov?

Why should it be reported? Once again, did we not have the means to vaporize the little suckers if needed? To me it would have been fine to dust them IF they truly were threatening us.

The video being shown and released? I don't care if they show it or not. But this is Bush using it to get people behind him to launch a new war.

If Iran truly is a threat in controlling the Strait of Hormuz, I would think other oil exporting countries would gladly crush them. And if they ever made any military maneuvers against companies exporting oil, that would justify escalation. Speed boats threatening US Naval ships? There was NO threat, only an annoyance. Those speed boats were a fly on the a$$ of a tiger. Nothing more.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Please keep in mind that Hillary has eight years of experience that she keeps harping. While she didn't have top level security clearance, she obviously did have Bill's political attention, or at least they say she did; therefore, because Bill knew, did Hillary also know something about Iraq that caused her to support the campaign to remove Saddam?

I think those who say that they can't trust the current administration, better read a few more spy novels. Just who is it that really can't be trusted? I really don't know, do you really know, or have you just taken someone else's word? Get real, get really real, what or who is the foundation for your opinion about our government? NBC, CBS, Drudge, Rush, NYT, Fox, and on and on... who and why do you believe what you feel?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Why should it be reported? Once again, did we not have the means to vaporize the little suckers if needed? To me it would have been fine to dust them IF they truly were threatening us.

The video being shown and released? I don't care if they show it or not. But this is Bush using it to get people behind him to launch a new war.

If Iran truly is a threat in controlling the Strait of Hormuz, I would think other oil exporting countries would gladly crush them. And if they ever made any military maneuvers against companies exporting oil, that would justify escalation. Speed boats threatening US Naval ships? There was NO threat, only an annoyance. Those speed boats were a fly on the a$$ of a tiger. Nothing more.
Okay. I'll say it.

Wasn't the Cole attack made by one speed boat?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
The USS Cole was in port and attacked by an unidentified, unmarked small boat with 2 suicide bombers and explosives. This was also a time when the US was using the opposite of a shoot first ask questions later policy. The small boat was not more powerful than the USS Cole, they just exploited our situation.

The strait of Hormuz is open water and there is plenty of time to eliminate a little speedboat, ESPECIALLY if they are stupid enough to radio a message that they are going to blow up the US warships. This makes me picture me with a BB gun walking toward an Army base with tanks, machine guns and all other types of weaponry and announcing that I am here to shoot everyone.

It just doesn't add up to me. If they are truly that threatening, a warning would have been enough. Step 2: Make them disappear.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I am glad it was recorded and reported. I have no desire to see tensions raised between Iran and the USA, but the public should understand the stress our servicemen are under. You have an area known for suicide bombers. A religion known for producing suicide bombers,and a gov known to be very anti USA. Add to the mix idiots pretending to be on a suicide attack run. When you add it all together its not hard to imagine an incident occuring where a speed boat gets blown out of the water.
Now Iran would claim they are innocent of any wrong doing. LOL In fact they already are lieing through their teeth about it. Just like they lie about how they are not involved with arming the insurgents.
I am glad our ship didnt dust them as they deserved, but its only a matter of time when you have idiots making threats.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
This makes me picture me with a BB gun walking toward an Army base with tanks, machine guns and all other types of weaponry and announcing that I am here to shoot everyone.
Really? I would more compare it to a person walking on base with a 9mm.

And even though we're supposedly on a "Shoot now, ask questions later" attitude, they waited for proper authorization to fire. But did not. A warning might've been issued over an open frequency - but the news will not report that (if they even get the full transcripts)

I'm also sure that Iran won't openly say, "Yes. We hate you and wanted to blow up your ships!"

I will add: It's easier to say "They should've done this, that, and the other" after the fact than to actually do such action when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies