Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on vaccinations?
Vaccines are unsafe, cause autism and I do not take them at all. 5 5.05%
The Government has the right to force any vaccine on people that they see fit. 29 29.29%
Most vaccines are safe and people should take them, but the Government shouldn't be allowed to force them on people. 65 65.66%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That's like saying that forcing Jews to wear the Star of David in public is not compulsory because they have the choice to sit inside all day.
Not the same at all, but way to go all Godwin on us. Mississippi and West Virginia have never allowed these exemptions, resulting in the highest vaccination rates in the country.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-04-2015 at 10:21 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 PM

137 posts, read 144,311 times
The science is in. Vaccines work, and are not dangerous.

If the science was controversial in adult circles, there would be a serious discussion worth having.

But it isn't, so there isn't.

Force them to be vaccinated, or force them to live in a commune with hazmat suits.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
A woman's choice to abort won't cause an outbreak.

I don't think you understand what vaccines have done for us over the last hundred years. I only need one example here... Polio
Wow… you picked a good one.
When I was young, I watched my next door neighbor get carried off on a stretcher one night, stricken with polio. He was about 6 years older than me. 4 of my closest friends throughout my school days all had paralyzed limbs from polio. One died young because one of his lungs was paralyzed. Every class in all the elementary schools around town had at least one kid who had braces and crutches in it, or a a shriveled arm, or a weakened limb. We never saw the ones in iron lungs, but we heard about them. Once in a while, we would see some poor kid being wheeled around town by his parents in a wheelchair.

The town I lived in was one that received the very first polio vaccine when it was still in the trial stage. The next year, all the towns around us had a dozen kids or more my age that came down with polio, but in my grade, only one child caught it. He wasn't vaccinated on the day they came and gave the shots.

The fear of catching polio could close a business forever. There was a swimming pool in this area that went broke after some kids came down with the disease one summer. All of them had swum in the pool, but it was a popular local getaway; hundreds of other kids who swam there never got sick, but the fear of polio was so deep the pool went empty the next year all season, and the year afterward.

The owners went broke and closed it. They couldn't sell it, and the entire property was abandoned. The ruins are still there today. The same things happened with ice cream stands, and other businesses where kids like to congregate. The rumors were as terrifying as the disease.

Polio was one of the very worst. The Saulk vaccine was a true miracle. Within less than a generation, polio was gone in the United States. My little sister, 9 years younger than I, never saw a classmate who had gotten the disease by the time she went to the same schools I did.

I never knew anyone who caught smallpox, but I knew some adults who did. They all looked like they had been sandblasted, and one was blinded from it. One said he was the only child in his family who lived, and he said he went through hell with the disease; it was torture to even blink, because the inside of his eyelids were poxy. The insides of his nose and ears were, too.

By the time I was born, there was already enough herd resistance from widespread vaccinations to make smallpox rare, but it wasn't gone yet. I remember reading about outbreaks that still killed people by the dozens in remote areas all over the country. Smallpox would leave and then come back, again and again.

Last edited by banjomike; 02-04-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,557 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I agree with Vvega. I would also add that if people opt out, schools can also choose not to admit their unvaccinated kids.

I am very pro-vaccination but also pro-freedom. Andrew Wakefield (and his buddy Jenny McCarthy ) were completely discredited. But I don't think that government should be able to force anyone to put any substance into their body. However, if you want your kid to attend government/taxpayer funded schools, the government should have the right to bar your kid from the school. Colleges, public and private, should be able to require vaccinations of anyone choosing to live in the dorms. Day care centers should be able to require vaccinations, or not admit an unvaccinated kid. Employers, especially in healthcare, should be able to require it of employees.

I'd rather see the government somehow "incentivize" vaccinating rather than mandating it.
the school thing already happens.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I find it interesting that many of the kids who have been getting measles WERE VACCINATED!
How can that be?
Most patients whose vaccine status is known are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Do you believe that every person owns themselves? Then no forcing them to do what you want. Do you believe you own them? Then you're a sociopath and a tyrant. If not that, then you're just tricked into thinking it's justified...it isn't.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
What about Tetanus? With Tetanus you can take the shot after you're at risk. i.e. You step on a rusty nail, you can go to the doctor and have a Tetanus shot at that time. There's no actual need to take it as a preventative measure but most do anyhow. Should we ban kids from school for not having a Tetanus shot?
That is a booster, sweetheart.

These conversations would be more fruitful if we were all coming from the same knowledge base.

BTW, it has all been busted out...
Big Pharma Admits They

Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That is a booster, sweetheart.

These conversations would be more fruitful if we were all coming from the same knowledge base.

BTW, it has all been busted out...
Big Pharma Admits They
An adequate knowledge base would be helpful, but you seldom, if ever, see that in these vaccine discussions. The most anti-vax have the least knowledge.

Love the link!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Compulsory.

If we're going to allow people to infect others, we may as well allow people to drive at any speed they want. Public safety. Big concern. Why is this being politicized? I didn't know Jenny McCarthy had such political clout.

so you are in favor of forcing someone due to their religion in forcing a vaccine upon them.
how would you feel about forcing other things upon those that do not want them.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
An adequate knowledge base would be helpful, but you seldom, if ever, see that in these vaccine discussions. The most anti-vax have the least knowledge.

Love the link!
Some of the militant pro-vaxxers don't have a good grasp on stats, too.
But I agree the anti-vax contingent tends to attract the mouth breathers.

it seems like rational conversation is very limited amongst both groups. It's either a hard line one way or another.

Barring allergic reactions, no one should be allowed to use public facilities if they refuse to be vaccinated against airborne/droplet/oral-fecal transmitted infections that have efficacious vaccines. Especially if there is a considerable associated morbidity/mortality rate. Those are the ones that should be mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies