Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
He threw a stone at ISIL and a boulder at Christians on their 'high horses.'
Hmm...

Seems Christians should be pretty familiar with that concept.

Planks, eyes and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I don't blame him; I blame those who voted for him. We knew what he was about before he was elected.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did you actually read what you quoted?

The pertinent passage again:

"We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions."

Do you believe that the president is attributing POSITIVE attributes to this group with these words?

Really?
Of course I read it.
Again, he alludes to a "vicious death cult" not to Islamic terrorists. As someone who sympathizes with them, he can't admit it's in the name of Allah they do these barbaric acts, but he easily can say "Christians" did barbaric acts in the name of Christ. Somehow those Christians weren't a death cult in his mind or a few misguided radicals, they are Christian terrorists.

And again, I am not saying Obama sympathizes with terrorist acts or terrorism in general, but he sympathizes with the Islamists doing these acts and he sympathizes with their religion and culture, and not with Christianity which he always finds criticism with.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Many here have already told you they watched the whole speech and don't get their views from headlines. You just refuse to acknowledge or believe them. You claim to be neutral and unbiased, but it's quite obvious you're not.

I would have the same position if the same speech had been given by a Republican President and liberal media
mischaracterized it.

Unlike most who post here I am politically agnostic.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:37 AM

577 posts, read 900,470 times
Citing The Crusades is liberal step #1 in any internet forum discussion of jihadist violence. I think Obama just outed himself as a CD member.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The KKK was stated as a paramilitary arm of the Democratic Party to discourage blacks from siding with Republicans and trying to exercise their newly acquired voting rights.
Racism trumps / crosses political lines.

The south trended Democrat at the time.

Appealing to racism, especially at the state, county and municipal level was an effective political strategy for the GOP.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
He threw a stone at ISIL and a boulder at Christians on their 'high horses.'
You are joking aren't you?

"brutal, vicious death cult" vs "high horse". Which is the stone and which is the boulder?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Of course I read it.
Again, he alludes to a "vicious death cult" not to Islamic terrorists. As someone who sympathizes with them, he can't admit it's in the name of Allah they do these barbaric acts, but he easily can say "Christians" did barbaric acts in the name of Christ. Somehow they aren't a death cult in his mind or a few radicals.
Wow. Really?

Talk about literalism.

If you cannot understand the analogous point of the president's statement, well...

Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Just when I was starting to lose my enmity for Obama, he show me why I had it in the first place.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I would have the same position if the same speech had been given by a Republican President and liberal media
mischaracterized it.

Unlike most who post here I am politically agnostic.
/agree

It does not matter that it's Barack Obama, Democrat, black guy, whatever. It's that it's the President of the United States always finding a way to demean, scold, denigrate the United States, in glaring and direct opposition to spirit of the office itself. He's the first person the majority of the people look to for how they should feel about America and being American on any given day, and most of the times we do look towards him, he makes us feel bad about America and being American. Sorry, but a CEO who makes the shareholders, stakeholders, employees and customers feel bad about the company should be fired, and I don't care what else they do well. First job of the head guy, the face of the organization, is to promote enthusiasm and goodwill towards the org. It's freaking Management 101, and Obama fails at it miserably.

When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, nowhere in the "day which shall live in infamy" speech did FDR say "well y'know, we really had that coming, so let's not be too quick to judge Japan or the rest of the Axis Powers, because after all, we're not saints either."

When the Berlin Wall came down, Reagan didn't apologize to Gorbachev for America's capitalist, imperialist sins and then recommend the wall stay up because hey, who are we to judge a nation that imprisons people behind a big giant concrete wall? I mean after all, look at what happened in Salem, MA in the 17th century, right?

The head cheerleader cheers for the team or THEY STAY FREAKING SILENT. That's the two choices for how Presidents should talk about America. Say something rah rah America, or shut yer freaking yap and wait for your post-presidency speaking tour to bad mouth America to rabid liberal undergrads for $200k per hour. FFS, even Jimmy Carter wasn't this bad at feeling miserable and naval gazing while he was POTUS, and that dude invented the Misery Index and acted like Eeyore in the Oval Office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies