Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:22 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times

Advertisements

The difference between conservatism and liberalism is is often a difference in personality. Liberals tend to be more idealistic people. They hope for a better world in which other human beings have to change to adapt to it. They do not think that this is coercion even when people don't like it. They think they're trying to help people.

Conservatives tend to be more realistic and pragmatic people. They are not necessarily interested in changing the world to what I should be. Conservatives look at the current world I think about how they can help themselves. They are much more adaptive. They can tolerate imperfection and mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Redshadowz - I think it's pretty safe to say if parents had to pay for schooling their children, more children would not go to school. I know plenty of people that live in the swamps of this state that wouldn't be able to bring their children to school, let alone afford it, if it weren't for government.

Also, I don't know how your high school was, but I've learned quite a bit in mine. Biology and history were my favorite subjects, in fact. I'd be willing to bet I wouldn't have found those interesting if it weren't for school. If I didn't find them interesting (especially history), I wouldn't be here bugging ya

You are making assumptions about yourself because all you can see is what was, rather than what would be.

Think of all the knowledge you have accumulated in your time here on Earth. What percentage of that knowledge would you not know had you never stepped foot in a school? For that matter, think of all the people who have gone to school, even those who graduated; How much do they really even know? How much of what they were taught will they even retain?

Think of all the things you learned in school. Now, imagine if you didn't know any of it and you were to have to learn it all right now as an adult. How long do you think it would take you to learn everything you learned in your thirteen years of public school?

Lets pretend you never stepped foot in a school for the rest of your life, how much more will you know in thirty years than you do now?

In regards to history. Didn't you become interested in history as a result of reading about wars? Most young men seem to be obsessed with war, strategy, and weaponry.

While school might have been where you originally began learning about history; Do you really think you never would have learned about WWII, Hitler, and the American Civil War had it not been for public schools?

As I say, be careful about assuming you would only know the things you know if you were taught the way you were taught. The truth is, you would know practically everything you already know with or without school. In fact, it is likely that as a result of going to government school, you weren't taught a lot of things which might actually be important. And this is especially true when it comes to History.

The History you are taught in school tends to be very biased and vague. And in regards to the Civil War, most of the history taught in schools is just a downright lie.

Of all the History I currently know. Only a tiny fraction I actually learned from school. And what I did learn in school, I could probably learn just as much by watching the "Crash Course : World History" series on Youtube. In fact, I think the Crash Course World and US History videos taught me more history than all my years in school. And the Crash Course videos aren't plagued with massive pro-America/pro-Western/anti-religion/pro-authority biases.

Let me leave you with one more piece of information.

In 1820, 80% of white Americans were literate. In 1872, less than 20% of free Brazilians were literate.

Literacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Education in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In fact, the people who came over on the Mayflower were probably more literate than Brazilians all the way into the 1960's. And still more literate than many countries today.

List of countries by literacy rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why was there such a huge literacy gap between the British and the Spanish? What caused the literacy rate in 1820's America to be so high? Was it government policy, or was it just culture?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:22 AM

273 posts, read 240,307 times
If it comes down to physical fighting, conservatives already know who is going to win.

That liberal brings a pencil and paper along with a smart phone to a gunfight.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 PM

197 posts, read 86,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Conservatives have a stronger connection to family, faith, and community which has been proven to relate to satisfaction in happiness in life.

Liberals are sad, lonely, and miserly because they don't have any meaningful connections outside of the lunatic fringe 'blame/hate America' Occupy crowd. They are perpetually outraged about something and if there's nothing to be outraged about they'll invent it. They're big on poking fun at the mainstream but if you poke back they throw a hissy fit and cry how they're a victim. Humor isn't their strong suit.

Their goal is to make everybody as miserable and unhappy as they are, only then will we all be truly equal in their eyes.
I have a strong connection to my family, non religion, and community. I am spiritual though.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
The difference between conservatism and liberalism is is often a difference in personality. Liberals tend to be more idealistic people. They hope for a better world in which other human beings have to change to adapt to it. They do not think that this is coercion even when people don't like it. They think they're trying to help people.

Conservatives tend to be more realistic and pragmatic people. They are not necessarily interested in changing the world to what I should be. Conservatives look at the current world I think about how they can help themselves. They are much more adaptive. They can tolerate imperfection and mess.
Agreed. Tho BOTH kinds of people you're talking about ain't extremist IMHO and, many times both sides can "talk" and connect the dots.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:17 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Conservatives have a sense of humor. Liberals are perpetually whining about something, outraged, livid.
Pretty much ^^^^ this!

HERE is a great example:

A residential college at the University of California, Santa Barbara had to apologize after serving Mexican food during a science fiction-themed event. According to the apology, the Mexican food paired with an event that featured aliens was offensive to students residing in the U.S. illegally. All programs staff will be forced to undergo cultural competence training for future events.

They have to take sensitivity classes for serving Mexican food...OMG!!!

“This incident demonstrated a cultural insensitivity on the part of the program planners and, though it was an unintentional mistake, I recognize that this incident caused harm within our community and negatively impacted students,” Golz wrote in the email.
College apologizes for serving 'offensive' Mexican food during space-themed alien event

These people are IDIOTS!

The best response to this story is by Chris Clements:

What a bunch of ball-less mamby pamby horse sh%^ this is!

First of all, it should only have been "perceived" as FOOD!!!

Second, you really have to be looking for something to be offended about to make a connection like that!

Third, take ever single one of those "undocumented" ILLEGAL ALIEN student douche bags and send them home where they belong, rather than allowing them to take up a space that could have and should have gone to a legal citizen here!

And people wonder why I call them "institutes of higher indoctrination"?!

Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Pretty much ^^^^ this!

HERE is a great example:

A residential college at the University of California, Santa Barbara had to apologize after serving Mexican food during a science fiction-themed event. According to the apology, the Mexican food paired with an event that featured aliens was offensive to students residing in the U.S. illegally. All programs staff will be forced to undergo cultural competence training for future events.

They have to take sensitivity classes for serving Mexican food...OMG!!!

“This incident demonstrated a cultural insensitivity on the part of the program planners and, though it was an unintentional mistake, I recognize that this incident caused harm within our community and negatively impacted students,” Golz wrote in the email.
College apologizes for serving 'offensive' Mexican food during space-themed alien event

These people are IDIOTS!

The best response to this story is by Chris Clements:

What a bunch of ball-less mamby pamby horse sh%^ this is!

First of all, it should only have been "perceived" as FOOD!!!

Second, you really have to be looking for something to be offended about to make a connection like that!

Third, take ever single one of those "undocumented" ILLEGAL ALIEN student douche bags and send them home where they belong, rather than allowing them to take up a space that could have and should have gone to a legal citizen here!

And people wonder why I call them "institutes of higher indoctrination"?!
Ironically, this post contained absolutely no humor and a lot of whining.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Conservatives have a sense of humor. Liberals are perpetually whining about something, outraged, livid.
Well, I'm a conservative and I listened to talk radio for several years then stopped because I realized that the hosts were perpetually angry, or at least they pretended to be angry. I just got tired of it.

Both the very far right and very far left drive me nuts.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Conservatives never spend their time being poutraged by every little thing. Liberals to a one are unhappy, angry, miserable people. You see it daily in their posts here.

That is a good one!

Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Ditto! I consider myself to be Conservative on many topics as do most Engineers, and Im fine with gay marriage, and pro choice.
Same here, I'm a conservative and don't have a problem with gay marriage and am pro-choice the same of my conservative friends. Democrat, Liberal politicians and liberal media have their base convinced otherwise. Obviously these people are easy to manipulate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies