Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,810,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
Sure he was an evil corrupt dictator but he was no actual threat to us and he kept the Middle East in order with an iron fist.
I suspect because Bush Jr. needed to get rid of Saddam Hussein in revenge for Saddam Hussein previously trying to kill his dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:56 PM

19,740 posts, read 10,175,933 times
Hussein hated Al Quaida and kept them from growing. If we had left him alone, it is likely that ISIS would not exist.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,667,781 times
We didn't.

In fact, we shouldn't have. What an incredible waste of lives and resources.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 AM

23,615 posts, read 17,303,114 times
Quote:
Sure he was an evil corrupt dictator but he was no actual threat to us and he kept the Middle East in order with an iron fist.
New day exact same policy, applicable to all ME countries...........fill in the blanks for the where and who

Obama says....

"With respect to ........., I think you asked about, sir, do I have a doctrine? My approach throughout the convulsions that have swept through the Middle East is, number one, no violence against citizens; number two, that we stand for freedom and democracy. And in the situation in ........., what you've seen is, number one, violence against citizens, and the active urging of violence against unarmed citizens by ............
"And number two, you have seen great — with great clarity that he has lost legitimacy with his people.
"And so let me just be very unambiguous about this. ............... needs to step down from power and leave. That is good for his country. It is good for his people. It's the right thing to do."

Obama on Libya....not Syria

" I mean, the biggest priority that we have right now is, you've got tens of thousands of people — tens of thousands of people who are gathered at the border, and we've got to make sure that they can get home. And that's why we've — we're using some of our military aircraft in addition to civilian aircraft to help on that front. "

Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,967,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I suspect because Bush Jr. needed to get rid of Saddam Hussein in revenge for Saddam Hussein previously trying to kill his dad.
This would be childish........I hope is answer is better than this.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,803,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This would be childish........I hope is answer is better than this.

?????????

W himself said that was a reason that Hussein needed to go. This was widely reported at the time...

CNN.com - Bush calls Saddam 'the guy who tried to kill my dad' - Sep. 27, 2002

Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,538,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Hussein hated Al Quaida and kept them from growing. If we had left him alone, it is likely that ISIS would not exist.
your statement is inaccurate

saddam was helping alq...
Quote:
US State Department
November 4, 1998

Bin Laden, Atef Indicted in U.S. Federal Court for African Bombings

New York -- Usama bin Laden and Muhammad Atef were indicted November 4 in Manhattan federal court for the August 7 bombings of the US embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and for conspiring to kill Americans outside the United States.

Bin Laden's "al Qaeda" organization functioned both on its own and through other terrorist organizations, including the Al Jihad group based in Egypt, the Islamic Group also known as el Gamaa Islamia led at one time by Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, and a number of other jihad groups in countries such as Sudan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Somalia.

Bin Laden, the US Attorney charged, engaged in business transactions on behalf of Al Qaeda, including purchasing warehouses for storage of explosives, transporting weapons, and establishing a series of companies in Sudan to provide income to al Qaeda and as a cover for the procurement of explosives, weapons, and chemicals, and for the travel of operatives.

According to the indictment, bin Laden and al Qaeda forged alliances with the National Islamic Front in Sudan and with representatives of the Government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezballah with the goal of working together against their common enemies in the West, particularly the United States.

"In addition, al Qaeda reached an understanding with the Government of Iraq that al Qaeda would not work against that government and that on particular projects, specifically including weapons development, al Qaeda would work cooperatively with the Government of Iraq," the indictment said.

Beginning in 1992, bin Laden allegedly issued through his "fatwah" committees a series of escalating "fatwahs" against the United States, certain military personnel, and, eventually in February 1998, a "fatwah" stating that Muslims should kill Americans -- including civilians -- anywhere in the world they can be found.
Quote:
Associated Press
February 13, 1999

Bin Laden reportedly leaves Afghanistan, whereabouts unknown

Osama bin Laden, the Saudi millionaire accused by the United States of plotting bomb attacks on two U.S. embassies in Africa, has left Afghanistan, Afghan sources said Saturday.

Taliban authorities in the militia's southern stronghold of Kandahar refused to either confirm or deny reports that bin Laden had left the country.

Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has offered asylum to bin Laden, who openly supports Iraq against the Western powers.

Despite repeated demands from Washington, the Taliban refused to hand over bin Laden after the August 7 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, demanding proof of his involvement in terrorist activities.

The Taliban did promise that bin Laden would not use Afghanistan as a staging arena for terrorist activities.

isis wouldnt exist??

ISIS was formed in 1999...during the Clinton era....the bush1/Clinton sanctions against Iraq killed half a million iraqi children, causing many refugees into Syria, and the birth of isis

and while the majority of isis is Sunni...they also have Shiite supporters(ie the rebels in Yemen)

facts:

1. The group was originally founded by a protégé of Osama Bin Laden, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in 1999 as Jamaat al-Tawhid wa-l-Jihad (JTWJ).

2. "Levant" -- a region stretching from southern Turkey through Syria to Egypt including Lebanon, Israel, the Palestinian territories and Jordan, including Iraq

3. ISIS is the Islamic State In Syria.... ISIL- Islamic State in the Levant

4. yes they did enter Iraq in 2004...but they were created in 1999

5. ISIS is an extremist Sunni Islamist movement , Sunni's are not just an Iraqi group...there are Sunni's in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, and even in Afghanistan, and Uzbekistan, and as far up as Chechnya

Bush sucked and made a lot of mistakes as POTUS, but to say USA(by invading Iraq) created isis, is not even near the truth

Last edited by workingclasshero; 09-16-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,106,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
?????????

W himself said that was a reason that Hussein needed to go. This was widely reported at the time...

I wonder how this man sleeps at night, knowing the death and destruction and ruined lives he is responsible for just so he could avenge the threat to his daddy. But then, one has to have a certain level of intelligence and self-awareness to feel such responsibility, and I suspect W lacks either, so he probably sleeps just fine.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 AM

89,320 posts, read 45,042,699 times
Quote:
Why? The 1998 Iraq Liberation Act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=457jp8VGhEE

Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,538,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
?????????

ONE of the multitude of reasons

Quote:
"Now let me be clear -- I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity. He's a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him."

State Senator Barack Obama (Democrat, Illinois)
Speech at Federal Plaza, Chicago, Illinois
October 2, 2002
Quote:
Regime change in Iraq has been official US policy since 1998. The Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, signed into law by President Clinton, states:

"It should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime."

Iraq Liberation Act of 1998
105th Congress, 2nd Session
September 29, 1998
Quote:
"It is the duty of any president, in the final analysis, to defend this nation and dispel the security threat. Saddam Hussein has brought military action upon himself by refusing for 12 years to comply with the mandates of the United Nations. The brave and capable men and women of our armed forces and those who are with us will quickly, I know, remove him once and for all as a threat to his neighbors, to the world, and to his own people, and I support their doing so."

Senator John Kerry (Democrat, Massachusetts)
Statement on eve of military strikes against Iraq
March 17, 2003
Quote:
Al Gore said last night that the time had come for a "final reckoning" with Iraq, describing the country as a "virulent threat in a class by itself" and suggesting that the United States should consider ways to oust Saddam Hussein.

"Even if we give first priority to the destruction of terrorist networks, and even if we succeed, there are still governments that could bring us great harm. And there is a clear case that one of these governments in particular represents a virulent threat in a class by itself: Iraq. As far as I am concerned, a final reckoning with that government should be on the table."

The New York Times
Gore, Championing Bush, Calls For a 'Final Reckoning' With Iraq
February 13, 2002
seems even the higher up democrats felt saddam NEEDED TO BE REMOVED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies