Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times

Advertisements

Making war, having soldiers, etc cost money and supplies and has to have a central control, i.e. have a considerable logistics and communications trail.

Where is ISIS acquring weapons, recruits and how/where is it training and supplying them and who is paying for this? They occupy some border regions in adjacent states but there is no munitions works there. Having soldiers about means food, fuel, ammo, medical,transportation,etc.

A land campaign occupying these locations would send them underground and diminish their abilities.

Seems strange no one has assembled a coalition to do. I mean they are stateless like the pirates of an earlier era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Let me google that for you

Had to go search myself

Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 AM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Making war, having soldiers, etc cost money and supplies and has to have a central control, i.e. have a considerable logistics and communications trail.

Where is ISIS acquring weapons, recruits and how/where is it training and supplying them and who is paying for this? They occupy some border regions in adjacent states but there is no munitions works there. Having soldiers about means food, fuel, ammo, medical,transportation,etc.

A land campaign occupying these locations would send them underground and diminish their abilities.

Seems strange no one has assembled a coalition to do. I mean they are stateless like the pirates of an earlier era.
Good questions. I think your Pirate Analogy is a good one. Like the Pirates their equipment is based on what they can capture other than AK47s and RPGs (which apparently are lying about in the midddle east). I'm sure they have ammo shortages with all of their bigger weapons considering they aren't commonized and they don't have a conventional supply chain to keep them resupplied.

They most likely have much of their Military training and experience from Sunnis from Sadams regime (Strange bedfellows). If the Kurds with their limited hardware can beat them with some air support from us, they would fall like a house of cards if confronted by our conventional military, as was the case with Sadams military. Hell. even NATO might be able to take then on (Assumming they're allowed to have bullets in their guns).

Old 02-17-2015, 11:05 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good questions. I think your Pirate Analogy is a good one. Like the Pirates their equipment is based on what they can capture other than AK47s and RPGs (which apparently are lying about in the midddle east). I'm sure they have ammo shortages with all of their bigger weapons considering they aren't commonized and they don't have a conventional supply chain to keep them resupplied.

They most likely have much of their Military training and experience from Sunnis from Sadams regime (Strange bedfellows). If the Kurds with their limited hardware can beat them with some air support from us, they would fall like a house of cards if confronted by our conventional military, as was the case with Sadams military. Hell. even NATO might be able to take then on (Assumming they're allowed to have bullets in their guns).
You mean like the Taliban folded? Truth is, until we let our troops go in and do what they are trained to do, we will never win another war. We may get a stalemate, but victory will always elude us. We didn't win the Iraq war. We are still fighting it.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:08 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good questions. I think your Pirate Analogy is a good one. Like the Pirates their equipment is based on what they can capture other than AK47s and RPGs (which apparently are lying about in the midddle east).
Probably ones we have paid for.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Probably ones we have paid for.
Your right, I saw a lot of Armored Ford and Chevy trucks in addition to Humvees in a lot of pics. Hopefully we don't send them parts when they break down

Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You mean like the Taliban folded? Truth is, until we let our troops go in and do what they are trained to do, we will never win another war. We may get a stalemate, but victory will always elude us. We didn't win the Iraq war. We are still fighting it.

Terrain appears different as in less advantageous to the defender and these folks are not generations of mountain fighters as the Taliban are. Also, if they are terrorizing the local populace they will receive no support.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-17-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 11:32 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
ISIS is being funded primarily from Saudi Arabia and Qatar and most likely Turkey (To counter Assad).

Old 02-17-2015, 12:22 PM

273 posts, read 240,154 times
You want the truth and not rumors or propaganda?

OIL

It's why your gas is cheap right now.....they want to drive them out of business. Sell it cheaper than they will...

Capitalize on it, you deserve it.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Terrain appears different as in less advantageous to the defender and these folks are not generations of mountain fighters as the Taliban are. Also, if they are terrorizing the local populace they will receive no support.
I imagine that will be key. You can't hide within the local population if you terrorize them.

On that note, CNN and Fox were just saying that ISIS burned a bunch of Iraqis alive. These guys are as bad or worse than the Nazis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies