Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:57 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I remember the run up to the war clearly. The Bush Administration was throwing every rationale at the American people to see which would stick...Hussein tried to kill his father, he was a terrible tyrant, his children are murderous thugs, he was violating UN resolutions, he was responsible for 9-11 (however wrong it was pointed out on many occasions). until they settled on WMD and which the American people bought in to, despite the fact that the UN clearly found there was no WMD. It was a con from day one.

And as far as Democrats joining in on this fiasco, many will remember all the jingoism that was being perpetuated at that that time by the Bush Administration and FOX News in particular. Opponents of the war were chided as soft on terror, terrorist sympathizers, weak, Neville Chamberlain-like appeasers, etc.

The real reason for this war is in the heads of W. and Cheney. Was it oil? Was it religious? Was it W. correcting what he perceived was a mistake of his father's? Was it W. seeking some kind of presidential glory as a war leader? Who knows. Probably a combo of all the above.

The outcome is for certain though. Those who predicted it would destroy the middle-east were right.
"Hussein tried to kill his father, he was a terrible tyrant, his children are murderous thugs, he was violating UN resolutions" True Or do you think they are wrong> if so, prove it.

" he was responsible for 9-11" Bush NEVER claimed that. Again, prove your claim.

"And as far as Democrats joining in on this fiasco," wrong again. The dems were claiming the same things BEFORE Bush was on the scene.

"I remember the run up to the war clearly" Wrong again. Just about EVERYTHING you have claimed here is NOT true.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-17-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You just want to remember it as a Republican issue so you can keep cheerleading.

The votes and quotes from leading Democrats before and after Bush won the WH are quite clear.
It's funny after many of those like the poster you responded to make their tirade, I post the quotes of all those dem and gee, they seldom respond back to me. I wonder why?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Exactly! Based on the Phony Intel and Lies told to them by the Bush administration. The "Leading Democrats" had to go to Bush, as President, to get Intel provided to them, so he passed on the lies, so thanks for validating what I said.
so you are saying that Bush made up the intel and handed to the democrats? you have any proof? same intel that Bubba Clinton got when he was President and passed the Iraq Liberation Act in 1998?
The Act found that between 1980 and 1998 Iraq had:
  1. committed various and significant violations of international law
  2. had failed to comply with the obligations to which it had agreed following the Gulf War and
  3. further had ignored resolutions of the United Nations Security Council.

The Act was passed 360-38 in the house and by unanimous consent in the Senate. Bill Clinton signed the bill into law on October 31, 1998.

you can't have it both ways.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Quote:
Bush was commander-in-chief, and he came to the same conclusion that Clinton, Kerry, Kennedy, Gore, etc. etc. came to with the information handed to them - Iraq had WMDs and Iraq was a threat to global peace.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

So, you're argument is that when Democrats believe there is a threat, they'll talk about it but never do anything about it? Wow, what a vote of confidence.

It has nothing to do with "paying for it" and everything to do with the belief that the threat was real.

It's this whole liberal talking point that Bush "lied" to us. Bush didn't lie to us, the information that Bush counted on was wrong.

A person lies when they know what they are saying is not true. When a person fully believes something is true and repeats it to others, they are wrong but not lying.
Did Bill Clinton invade Iraq? No, he did not. He was smart enough to know that the no fly zone was enough to keep Hussein in check.

Why is it so hard for Republicans to just admit they were the main instigators for the Iraqi invasion? Your argument that the Democrats are partially to blame is like blaming passengers on a bus for the bus driver driving the bus into ditch.

Bush and Cheney knew there were no WMD. I am convinced of that. Bush knew it was joke to..as a matter of fact didn't he make a film of himself looking for WMD in the Oval office. A class act that guy was.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Just about EVERYTHING you have claimed here is NOT true.
The funny thing is that with everything out there and everything posted here, you'd think they wouldn't just IGNORE it all.

How many times are they going to claim that Bush bullied Democrats into repeating the "WMD lie" prior to Bush being elected?

Of course, some of them make the claim, "Well, yeah, they may have believed that Iraq had WMDs and was a threat to world peace, but at least they would have never acted on those beliefs." How exactly is that supposed to make anybody feel good that those who refuse to act on what the believe feel any better?

"I'm only going to vote for those who look at the politics of everything, will never take a stand on what they believe and will make claims that aren't true just to get everyone excited. That's what I value in a politician."

And we wonder why our government is such a mess.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:04 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Default Clinton made a great case attacking Hussein by 1998:

The original website that compiled this is apparently no longer available, but I found it in this forum:

(A MUST READ) The Clinton Administration's Public Case Against Saddam Hussein

It is all well-cited, so I am not relying on the forum itself, it's just the only place I could find the article.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Your argument that the Democrats are partially to blame is like blaming passengers on a bus for the bus driver driving the bus into ditch.
You forgot to mention that those passenger were all yelling that the bus driver should turn into the ditch claiming there was road over it.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:06 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Just to point out, it wasn't a peace treaty, it was a cease-fire.

it was a save your ass for Saddam. We left him in power if he follow the resolutions......we didn't give the same treatment to other dictators in history who invaded other countries and defy the U.S.....

Old 02-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It's funny after many of those like the poster you responded to make their tirade, I post the quotes of all those dem and gee, they seldom respond back to me. I wonder why?
If they pretend not to notice, the quotes were never said. That's my best guess.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Quote:
"Hussein tried to kill his father, he was a terrible tyrant, his children are murderous thugs, he was violating UN resolutions" True Or do you think they are wrong> if so, prove it.

" he was responsible for 9-11" Bush NEVER claimed that. Again, prove our claim.

"And as far as Democrats joining in on this fiasco," wrong again. The dems were claiming the same things BEFORE Bush was on the scene.

"I remember the run up to the war clearly" Wrong again. Just about EVERYTHING you have claimed here is NOT true.
You need to review your recent history. Bush administration officials, like Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld would insinuate that Iraq was responsible for 9-11 then back off than reinsinuate it and that happened over and over again.

As far as the allegations of Hussein being a thug and violating UN resolutions were all true except those allegations did not justify war....thousands of dead Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies