Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,691,736 times

Advertisements

Well the FCC is working on having our government vote on a bill people cant even see. To regulate prices and speeds? I dont need the government telling me that is to fast, that is to slow, that is to expensive, that is to cheap.
Is the internet broke?

The internet is FREE, and because its free from government on price, speeds and technology it has moved and provided you entertainment, knowledge, liberty, free speech to share ideas, to discuss topics here. The government is not regulating blogs, ideas and or finding ways to go after services and or websites.

If the start playing around with the freedom of the internet the government is in for a worst backlash they have seen in years.

If this bill and or any bill in the future is past here is what WILL happen.

1. Prices will go up, and if prices go down so will your speed.
2. If 1. happens general tax payer money will fund studies on internet, regulations, corporate WELFARE to the companies who lost customers and or to provide internet to those on welfare!
3. New FEES will magically show up on your bills, and they might not happen day 1, but they will show up sooner or later.
4. You will be capped on how much internet you can see/
5. Youtube, and or many FREE services will all become paid services.
6. Netflix, redbox, amazon prime, will cost more. (Regulations) of services that USE to much DATA.
7. Blog websites will be shutdown, government will create FCC new agency to shut down websites with info they disagree with. If you website is not PROPERLY LICENSED as they see FIT to right the laws and or interaction with the public they will disable you.
8. All websites that speak bad of the government, president, and just about anything they will just disable you.
9. All money will be traced, all interactions, communications and all purchases will be monitored. While I am sure some of that is done in secret the will just have new reasons to do whatever they want. (They will call it because of terrorism etc)
10. Wifi will become a pay service again, no free wifi, companies wont be able to afford to offer it and it wont be worth it.

So when you and if WE the PEOPLE ever get a chance for them to just do as they please with a SERVICE that is not a something that needs to be regulated to this matter what are the benefits of so called LAWS.

How will this improve your internet privacy, your free speech, your current speeds, and access to the internet will it screw 90% of the people and some how give us the crazy IDEA that 10% who are on food stamps can now get internet for 5 dollars a month and have the working TAX payer pay for it. Then turn around the raise our rates. Then blame the internet companies FOR this change I'm sure.

The last freedom and free market option is being PHASED out.
They dont want any ALT media, and ALT news just what corporations and the government tell you.

That is what is this all about and finding new ways to run your ideas.

Then once this happens corporations will lobby for new laws which only benefit them, increase profits and destroy the service! All so the FCC can pretend they know what is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,480,438 times
And now for a reality check.

The Open Internet: A Case for Net Neutrality

Your fear that net neutrality (which exists today) would cause dissent to be stifled is diametrically opposite from the truth. Allowing ISPs to throttle traffic they don't like is what eliminating net neutrality would do.

Maybe you want a world where the only websites available to most people are Breitbatt and Fox News and the Drudge Report, but I sure don't.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:29 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,743,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

Your fear that net neutrality (which exists today) would cause dissent to be stifled is diametrically opposite from the truth. Allowing ISPs to throttle traffic they don't like is what eliminating net neutrality would do.

Maybe you want a world where the only websites available to most people are Breitbatt and Fox News and the Drudge Report, but I sure don't.
Seems to me, that is the opposite. Most media, and websites are left leaning, and those more conservative are already stifled.

This bill will only serve to further stifle content, and free speech that the government doesn't like.

Ask yourself this.......Is the internet broken? I don't think so.

This is just another government over reach that will attempt to fix something that doesn't need fixing, until it is broken. See health care for an example of this.

CN.......

Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,123,296 times
(it's not a bill)

Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,726,914 times
I've been very amused watching all the folks who otherwise clamor for the right of business to exploit their excessive financial power to the detriment of employees and customers suddenly trying to defend net neutrality legislation. (I haven't seen as many folks who otherwise clamor for regulation of business arguing against net neutrality, so those folks are at least consistent.)

The reality is that our nation needs to choose. Either Internet bandwidth is an essential service, like electricity, water, etc., in which case it needs to be regulated and affordable access assured in the consumer's best interest, or it is a luxury, in which case providers should be able to structure their business however they'd like and price their services as they see fit. I'm undecided between the two, but feel strongly that picking and choosing the bits you like of each of the two valid perspectives is indefensible.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've been very amused watching all the folks who otherwise clamor for the right of business to exploit their excessive financial power to the detriment of employees and customers suddenly trying to defend net neutrality legislation. (I haven't seen as many folks who otherwise clamor for regulation of business arguing against net neutrality, so those folks are at least consistent.)

The reality is that our nation needs to choose. Either Internet bandwidth is an essential service, like electricity, water, etc., in which case it needs to be regulated and affordable access assured in the consumer's best interest, or it is a luxury, in which case providers should be able to structure their business however they'd like and price their services as they see fit. I'm undecided between the two, but feel strongly that picking and choosing the bits you like of each of the two valid perspectives is indefensible.

Internet is not water and heat that is JOKE.

Just like a CAR is NOT water and heat for the human being to LIVE in said shelter.
In fact electricity and water and heat use to solved in other ways but again not sure they need to be regulated.

If I have well water, solar panels, and a wood burning stove do I need to be regulated :-)
I dont have those things just saying.

Those who are trying to turn the internet into a base of the human surviual are crazy.

Besides who doesn't have internet really?
Assuming you can and or CANT afford it what do you plan on accessing it with? Clearly you would need a computer and or phone, tablet etc. I am confused are going to provide regulations on the device that can access the internet as well. ?

Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,309,054 times
Here we get another non tech person running their mouth on subjects in which they have no clue.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

ISP's want what they can get away with. ISP's in a free market have to worry about competition offering better services. IE no throttling. ETC. Better rates. Government is not interested in market solutions.
This throttling started when ISP started LOBBYING congress! Where do you think net neutrality is actually coming from? Congress? Do you think Obama knows and or even cares about the internet on regaurds to who to write FCC laws and or bills in congress.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,726,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Internet is not water and heat that is JOKE.
Like I said, I'm undecided. The argument that Internet is "water and heat" involves the recognition that it is the means by which information is attained now. There are laws on the books regulating MVPDs with regard to carriage of local broadcast television stations related to the fact that they (used to be) "the means by which information is attained" so if the Internet was ever to supplant local broadcast television's role in that regard then their point is well-made.

Quote:
Those who are trying to turn the internet into a base of the human surviual are crazy.
I think you're looking at this too myopically: The people clamoring for net neutrality aren't trying to turn the Internet into something - they're saying it already is and so the regulations should be made to match the reality.

Quote:
Besides who doesn't have internet really?
I'm not sure you realize that that point doesn't support the rest of your comments, and perhaps may work against them.

But like I said, I'm undecided. Your argument sounds more compelling to me right this second. Let's see what your opponents say.

Quote:
I am confused are going to provide regulations on the device that can access the internet as well. ?
Uh, okay well you lost your lead with that comment.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,912,672 times
so all you who support "net neutrality", do you really trust the government THAT MUCH? do you honestly believe that the government has your best interests at heart? do you really believe that the government will actually do the job right without screwing it up for everyone?

if you really believe these things, i have a health care act for you, the ACA which is neither affordable, nor will do any thing that they said it would! remember "if you like your doctor you can keep them", or "if you like your plan you can keep it", or "insurance rates will go down $2500", etc. none of which has happened.

the government screws up just about everything they get their hands on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies