Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 03:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,608,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I do not get how whites would be "punished". Do you mean like being drawn and quartered?
I'd go for that but only those on the right.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,151,306 times
Hmm. Punishing people because of their ancestry, something outside their control. Sounds like racism to me.

Besides...neither I or my family are even from this country. Most white people probably weren't descended from people here during slavery days.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You should really think critically about the items you read online and not take headlines to be the truth. Honestly these sorts of articles and people's ignorant response to the headline without even looking at the substance of the words written is rather frightening that we have stooped to such a low level of critical thinking skills in this country.
Hehe...this is a conservative you're advising. Not goanna happen.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No.

A black person born in 1991 received the exact same American benefits as an immigrant from Ukraine, Thailand, Vietnam or anywhere else that arrived in 1991.
The difference being that the rights that the new immigrants enjoy largely comes from the struggles and battles that blacks have fought and died for seeking equality under the law. Black endured the pain so immigrants can and do enjoy the gains.

Quote:
Reparations should have been paid 150 years ago when slavery ended.
Yep...and they should have been paid After Jim Crow ended too.....so back to back injustices

Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check which has come back marked "insufficient funds
- MLK Jr

Quote:
I should not pay a dime of extra taxes for something none of my ancestors had anything to do with.
Not the stupidest or most hypocritical argument I ever heard.....but up there. You should, then, not be allowed to enjoy any freedom that you yourself nor your ancestors are responsible for creating in this nation.

Quote:
My father grew up fairly poor and my mother's parents grew up fairly poor. What my parents had, they earned. What I have, I earned.
Yawn!

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-19-2015 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 03:18 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,659,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Charlie Rangle. Who else.
I am so sick and tired of people thinking that there are people alive today
that are owed reparations for atrocities committed over 200 hundred years ago.

People like Rangel keep racial tensions hight when they spew this kind of crap.

VIDEO: Black Congressman Announces Insane Plan to Punish White People for Slavery
After I watched the video I see republicans are 100,000x worse. The congressmen started off with eloquent and high praise of America. He then spoke about how black Americans are not treated equal (they get racism, police harassment, huge numbers of them in jail, unequal pay, less job opportunities, huge numbers of them living in unthinkable poverty, ex.ex.)

Then he spoke about black people being brought to America against their will in chains, and is that not true? He then spoke of advancements where black people now hold public offices. But he said there are still problems like the ones I listed above.

But just like republicans oppress the rights of gay people and won't allow them to get married, or govern a womans body and say she can't have an abortion, or refuse to give women and men equal pay, the republicans could care less about the major problems black Americans face. Instead republicans attack black people, just like you are attacking that black congressman for his praise of America, truthful words, and desire for equal rights.

Senate GOP blocks Paycheck Fairness Act for the second time | TheHill

Last edited by chad3; 02-19-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I wish black people gain some self respect and stop acting like victims all the time.

It's pathetic.
No.....you got it all wrong. We live in a world of relativity. Black people only SEEM to be acting like victims relative to whites who are acting like they are SUPERIOR by arguing that everything they have achieved they have achieved ALL ON THEIR OWN THROUGH HARD WORK AND PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY...while leaving out their militarism, colonization, slavery, racism...etc....from having anything to do with their elevated status. . BS!!!!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,659,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
That are owed reparations for atrocities committed over 200 hundred years ago.
And I watched the whole video. The congressmen did not say a SINGLE word about "reparations" as you said he did.

Last edited by chad3; 02-19-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 03:27 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,534,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
1. - How would you qualify? You would have to prove direct ancestry, either paternally or maternally via genealogical research. (I am very involved in doing genealogical research and feel it would be a great starting point in educating black people about our fascinating past in this country ). And FWIW, it is not hard to connect a black person with an enslaved ancestor. I am in my mid 30s and knew my grandmother growing up. Like me, my grandmother knew her grandmother too. Her grandmother was a slave.
So if a person with light skin can prove genealogically that they have a slave ancestor, would that person get reparations?

And if not, how would it be determined how much melanin content in your skin is adequate to cause someone to be qualified to receive reparations under your approach?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:27 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,193,881 times
Should people with freckles get partial restitution?.. they are part brown .. it all all based on pigment in the skin.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I wish black people gain some self respect and stop acting like victims all the time.

It's pathetic.
And I wish posters like you would stop broadbrushing and stop talking crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies