Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:14 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times

Advertisements

This doctor has the right not to treat whomever she wishes. However, she will also face the backlash due to her close-minded decision. If I found that my children's pediatrician refused to treat or children based on her religious beliefs I would look for another doctor ASAP!

Old 02-20-2015, 02:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How would a court have the power to do that??? That's a legislative power.
Yes, but not allowing sexuality to be considered a protected class could run afoul of equal protection. It won't really matter if the courts handle it or referendums, this will be the next battleground after the SC rules on same sex marriage. And it will be a battleground that the right will lose on again.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:15 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Who's the customer? Answer: it's the homos. The doctor is discriminating against customers because of their sexual orientation. This isn't hard stuff.

Homos. How classy. I bet you hate the day n****r or **** became unsuitable for civilised society. Still use the word retard, I bet.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Homos. How classy. I bet you hate the day n****r or **** became unsuitable for civilised society. Still use the word retard, I bet.
I doubt it, Hammer has spoken in defense of gay people in every thread I have seen.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Legally within her rights.

But I wonder if she ever said, "I can't treat your kid's cold bc you took your wife's back door last night."

Ass clown.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I doubt it, Hammer has spoken in defense of gay people in every thread I have seen.
Outstanding. A supporter would know that "homos" is a derogatory word and hopefully not use it. How is it different from lesbo or ***?

Old 02-20-2015, 02:44 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Which would be nice I guess, but not required. I don't have a sign on my house that says I do not associate with boorish a-holes, but I reserve the right to not associate with boorish a-holes anyway.
Your house is not a business catering to the public.

Bad analogy.

Got anything else?

Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
If a doctor refuses to see a child based upon their mother's beliefs, then they should not be a doctor.

Period.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:50 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Detroit-Area Pediatrician Refuses To Care For Lesbian Couple’s Baby « CBS Detroit

"Jami and Krista Contreras ... brought their 6-day-old baby to Eastlake Pediatrics in Roseville for a checkup. But after waiting for their newborn’s first checkup, Dr. Vesna Roi refused to see them. Another doctor told the couple that Roi decided she couldn’t treat their baby because they are lesbians."

Dr. Roi later wrote them a letter (kind of) explaining and apologizing. I guess that makes it all better:

"After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that I would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationships that I normally do with my patients ... I should have spoken with you directly that day ... Please know that I believe that God gives us free choice and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice."

Should doctors be able to discriminate and not treat patients (or their children) on the basis of sexual orientation like the law allows them to do in many states such as Michigan? Or should gay people - like black people or Christian people - be protected under anti-discrimination laws?
Whether anyone is straight or gay, who would want a doctor like that anyway?

Last edited by Ceist; 02-20-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Detroit-Area Pediatrician Refuses To Care For Lesbian Couple’s Baby « CBS Detroit

"Jami and Krista Contreras ... brought their 6-day-old baby to Eastlake Pediatrics in Roseville for a checkup. But after waiting for their newborn’s first checkup, Dr. Vesna Roi refused to see them. Another doctor told the couple that Roi decided she couldn’t treat their baby because they are lesbians."

Dr. Roi later wrote them a letter (kind of) explaining and apologizing. I guess that makes it all better:

"After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that I would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationships that I normally do with my patients ... I should have spoken with you directly that day ... Please know that I believe that God gives us free choice and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice."

Should doctors be able to discriminate and not treat patients (or their children) on the basis of sexual orientation like the law allows them to do in many states such as Michigan? Or should gay people - like black people or Christian people - be protected under anti-discrimination laws?
Given that we have anti-discrimination laws, I think gay people should be protected by them. However, I don't think we should have anti-discrimination laws. So I would support these women in a discrimination case given the current laws, but then I'd repeal the discrimination laws entirely. It should be absolutely legal for private citizens to discriminate based on whatever criteria they choose. That's called freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies