Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Does the "good doctor" refuse to treat the children of all sinners, or does she pick and choose which sinners children she will treat?
Hard to argue with you on this.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
This reminds me of the Muslim cab drivers kicking people out of their cabs because they had alcohol in their luggage. This is America, you put personal feelings aside and do your job.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Detroit-Area Pediatrician Refuses To Care For Lesbian Couple’s Baby « CBS Detroit

"Jami and Krista Contreras ... brought their 6-day-old baby to Eastlake Pediatrics in Roseville for a checkup. But after waiting for their newborn’s first checkup, Dr. Vesna Roi refused to see them. Another doctor told the couple that Roi decided she couldn’t treat their baby because they are lesbians."

Dr. Roi later wrote them a letter (kind of) explaining and apologizing. I guess that makes it all better:

"After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that I would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationships that I normally do with my patients ... I should have spoken with you directly that day ... Please know that I believe that God gives us free choice and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice."

Should doctors be able to discriminate and not treat patients (or their children) on the basis of sexual orientation like the law allows them to do in many states such as Michigan? Or should gay people - like black people or Christian people - be protected under anti-discrimination laws?
This is... I can't find the words.

Refusing to treat a baby because you do not like the parents sexual relationship???? Guess the Hippocratic oath is not word a crap anymore.

Maybe this is why she does not even have 2 out 5 stars?

http://www.healthgrades.com/physicia...esna-roi-2hw77

Old 02-20-2015, 07:31 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think you just won the thread.
Thanks!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:28 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Free to choose for all parties concerned.

Isnt that what most Liberals are about?

Pro-Choice?

Or is that only for convictions that you hold?
The baby is not a lesbian so why would the doctor refuse to treat her. Why would she punish the baby. Do you think that's right.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Whether anyone is straight or gay, who would want a doctor like that anyway?
Who would want a doctor like that? Well, from the letter Dr Roi expresses no ill will and best wishes for the women and cares so much about the doctor-patient relationship that she refused to treat them because she values the longterm relationship with her patients too much to enter into one with a patient she feels she will not be able to develop one with.

By any standard besides liberal self righteousness that I can think of, Dr Roi comes across as an ethical and compassionate physician.

So with your "a doctor like that" comment, I can only assume that "like that" means "doesn't agree with Ceist" and you require everyone to share your political and religious opinions in order to be a competent professional. Which would make the bigot in this case you, not the doctor.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Who would want a doctor like that? Well, from the letter Dr Roi expresses no ill will and best wishes for the women and cares so much about the doctor-patient relationship that she refused to treat them because she values the longterm relationship with her patients too much to enter into one with a patient she feels she will not be able to develop one with.

By any standard besides liberal self righteousness that I can think of, Dr Roi comes across as an ethical and compassionate physician.

So with your "a doctor like that" comment, I can only assume that "like that" means "doesn't agree with Ceist" and you require everyone to share your political and religious opinions in order to be a competent professional. Which would make the bigot in this case you, not the doctor.
Of course the bigot is the doctor. She refuses to treat an innocent baby because she doesn't agree with the parents sexuality. I'm sorry but any doctor who would refuse to treat a baby because of their religious beliefs should lose their license

Old 02-20-2015, 10:35 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

You seem to 'only assume' whatever suits your viewpoint.

No, I wouldn't want to be treated by a doctor who is incapable of putting aside her supposed religious beliefs to treat a baby or work with lesbian parents. Simple as that.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:07 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
First of all, "sexual orientation" is a made up term, it is not a "sex," so their is no sex discrimination.

I think there is harm to the child who is placed in this kind of situation, however. This is not a healthy environment from the standpoint of mental health. I think such children are going to have problems. "Gays" shouldn't be allowed to raise children for that reason.
First, if you are straight, you have a sexual orientation. It is not a made up term.

Two, placing a child in a home with bigots is harmful to the mental health of that child and that child will have problems later in life dealing with people. Bigots should not be allowed to raise children for the just create another batch of hateful discriminating people.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
You seem to 'only assume' whatever suits your viewpoint.
No, I assume what seems to be the logical assumption to make. Since there was no information that the doctor was in any way incompetent and since her letter showed only compassion and concern, referring to her as a doctor "like that" would logically only refer to her political views not matching yours and not her performance as a physician.

And I have no viewpoint, so I don't "only seem to assume whatever suits my viewpoint." My only viewpoint here was that your post reflected more poorly on you than on the doctor. Anything beyond that is a case of you assuming whatever suits your viewpoint, not me.
Quote:
No, I wouldn't want to be treated by a doctor who is incapable of putting aside her supposed religious beliefs to treat a baby or work with lesbian parents. Simple as that.
Right. So right after sneering at my assumption, you then make a statement that proves that assumption was true - that your refusal to deal with the doctor as a doctor had nothing whatsoever to do with the doctor's skills as a doctor. That qualifies as bigotry. It's the usual paradox of tolerance thing that's common as dirt with people on the left.

http://cognoscenti.wbur.org/2013/09/...n-d-fitzgerald

Last edited by kidkaos2; 02-20-2015 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies