Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,079,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's easy to exploit workers when you have 6 million unskilled illegals willing to work very hard for very little.

Wages are just the equilibrium point between supply and demand for labor.

You guys are complaining about the SYMPTOMS when the root problem is that we have a glut of cheap labor.

However, that's not politically appealing to discuss now is it?

The whole minimum wage hike is a distractive narrative from people that have F*CKED the lower class with NAFTA and mass illegal immigration and now are offerring a token "fix" because "they care".

Lotta lies and BS there.
Exactly.

The very same ignorant, uninformed posters who consistently support things like "immigration reform" will never understand that concept......unless the current resident at 1600 says it.

I stand by this statement. If the current resident at 1600 had a press conference tonight saying that the earth was indeed flat, by tomorrow morning, we free thinkers would be called "round earthers" by every leftist media source in America.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,390,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
The problem is they want the minimum wage increase but then watch when you take away all the entitlement programs.
Read my posts. I want the minimum wage set high enough that it is a step up to working and a revolving door if you fall back down.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:58 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,905,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Read my posts. I want the minimum wage set high enough that it is a step up to working and a revolving door if you fall back down.
What price would that be?

Old 02-23-2015, 04:04 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,390,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You guys are complaining about the SYMPTOMS when the root problem is that we have a glut of cheap labor.
And the cure is to pay all the people making stuff to be sold in the US, US minimum wage.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,471,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Bottom feeders huh? I'm betting that the OP has no problem getting pissy with their burger/ tire changed/ grocery worker/ all because they feel like they believe they are a better class of people. I think MOST people tend to forget it's the blue collar works that built/fed this country!
It isn't working a minimum wage job that makes a person a bottom feeder that others look down on. It's working that minimum wage job for decades without making any effort whatsoever to improve yourself, then blaming the system for your situation and running to government to force people to give you more money. It's the attitude that's the problem, not the job.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
They don't want to pay for it, they want you to pay for it, then they can take the credit for forcing you and feel like they contributed.
I didn't realize alphamale owned a McDonald's.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Bottom feeders huh? I'm betting that the OP has no problem getting pissy with their burger/ tire changed/ grocery worker/ all because they feel like they believe they are a better class of people. I think MOST people tend to forget it's the blue collar works that built/fed this country!
Burger flippers, tire changers and grocery clerks are NOT blue collar workers.
There's your first mistake.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 PM

82 posts, read 55,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
What? You are moving the goal post or do not understand the context of the discussion I was having with nvxplorer. He stated employers would exploit and lower wages if minimum wage laws were removed. This is easy disprove because majority of people already make more than federal and state minimum wage. In other words, minimum wage is largely irrelevant to majority of employers and employees. Its clear sign the market values and will pay above a forced minimum for labor. "The race to the bottom" line is a bull**** liberal talking point that you've seem to bought hook, line and sinker.
I make $10.25 an hour. I have no marketable skill (still in college) other then I've worked tons of retail and am very good at customer service and selling to people. The company I work for doesn't generally start you at $10.25, but did me because of experience. Nobody forced them to pay me $10.25. Walmart payed an extra 40 cents for each year of experience for up to 2 total automatic pay raises, meaning at tier one (ie cashier) I would've made $9.30 an hour to start. Nobody would force them to start me out at that. Each year is continue to receive a raise until I hit $15.80 (the maximum for tier one). This is all according to their leaked pay determination document. Many businesses like walmart also promote tons of people with no degrees to high paying positions. Work hard and it pays off.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,921,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I didn't realize alphamale owned a McDonald's.
It is possible he just dines there.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
I spend my days working and learning new skills so I become more valuable as an employee, not petitioning and whining about how my employers are greedy robber barons... "God" is not part of the equation.

In this world, you make your own luck.

What happens when the luck you made for yourself gets flushed to the curb because someone in authority decides they don't like you, your performance, your hair color and they have a newphew who just graduated college and needs a job?

Sometimes the actions of other's determines where one walks down the path of their own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies