Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:20 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times

Advertisements

Just curious. From my research, the IRS isn't able to garnish your wages or seize property. If you are owed a refund, they can take it out of that, but if you simply don't pay it, there isn't much recourse for the govt. What's to stop people from simply refusing to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 PM

23,567 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Just curious. From my research, the IRS isn't able to garnish your wages or seize property. If you are owed a refund, they can take it out of that, but if you simply don't pay it, there isn't much recourse for the govt. What's to stop people from simply refusing to pay?
you are asking what the IRS will do to someone who owes them money????? first they will compund the interest. Of course with oabmacare and the IRS under fire, they may be initially gentle and then set the hook if obamacare survises the court hearing.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:36 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Just claim to be an illegal, and the gubbermunt will pay it for you.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Nothing will happen.
And there's a waiver form you can fill in to get you "legally" off the hook.

Just fill in this "hardship" exemption form and you're off the hook.
No proof needed.

https://marketplace.cms.gov/applicat...-exemption.pdf

Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
… and then get ready to pay for every medical treatment out of your pocket. if you need to ask about paying the penalty, you probably can't afford the costs of private health insurance.

I was there myself. And it took a long time to pay off a $6500 dental bill. Should have taken that dental rider when I signed up, but I was going the cheap route on my insurance.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Give it a shot and get back to us with the results!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
you are asking what the IRS will do to someone who owes them money?????
I don;t if they can do that, not sure if that was excluded with the law. What I do know is it's specifically written in the law they cannot seize assets, garnish wages or any of the normal ways they would collect an outstanding debt. The only way for them to collect it is from your tax refund, no tax refund and there is nothing to collect.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 PM

The law has not changed regarding how the IRS can collect Obamacare penalty money.

Questions and Answers on the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision
29. What happens if I owe an individual shared responsibility payment, but I cannot afford to make the payment when filing my tax return?
The IRS routinely works with taxpayers who owe amounts they cannot afford to pay. The law prohibits the IRS from using liens or levies to collect any individual shared responsibility payment. However, if you owe a shared responsibility payment, the IRS may offset that liability against any tax refund that may be due to you.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The law has not changed regarding how the IRS can collect Obamacare penalty money.

Questions and Answers on the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision
29. What happens if I owe an individual shared responsibility payment, but I cannot afford to make the payment when filing my tax return?
The IRS routinely works with taxpayers who owe amounts they cannot afford to pay. The law prohibits the IRS from using liens or levies to collect any individual shared responsibility payment. However, if you owe a shared responsibility payment, the IRS may offset that liability against any tax refund that may be due to you.

Yes, year after year until they get it.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes, year after year until they get it.
Whether you pay or get a refund is all in how you fill out your W-4 form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies