Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
He was self-employed for maybe 20 years after being sheriff, wasn't he? Seems like he has done ok since then, Or was he employed at some place after that?
Nobody knows.....that's my entire point about this thread...people are running because he's a conservative...noting more nothing less....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,886 posts, read 5,366,263 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to you individually. Anyway, do some reading (if you haven't already), you'd be surprised at the tricks health insurance companies pulled to avoid paying anything or as little as possible.

However, the problems that you may be having lie with the insurance companies themselves. Could be that they have reverted back to their old games of avoidance. In fact, I'd be very surprised if they haven't.
The first problem encountered had nothing to do with my insurer. It had to do with this guy who presently goes by the name Barack Obama.

Remember when he promised those who were happy with their current insurance plan could keep it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfl55GgHr5E

Just in case it faded from memory.

I lost my plan upon the arrival of BO's signature legislation.

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
My state had a high-risk pool, which I would have been able to purchase in your circumstances.
Its a state by state issue. In my state I could also have picked up high risk coverage for my wife at $2600 per-month for 10 months before she could start using it. And even then co-pays and deductibles applied. This was before the ACA. (she was denied coverage from everyone).

Old 03-01-2015, 01:02 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Good for you.

4 years ago, I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer at the age of 23. 6 months before my diagnosis, I was unemployed and tried to get insurance on my own and was DENIED at the age of 22 due to fairly minor preexisting conditions. Luckily, I had been employed for 4 months before my diagnosis in a career where insurance is offered from day 1. Luckily, I did not lose my job as a result of my diagnosis as many friends in the young adult cancer community have.

If I was denied health insurance at 22 years old due to prexisting conditions including treatment for depression following a rape, bladder issues that had been resolved 10 years previously, and PCOS, how on earth do you think I would find insurance on the private market with a cancer history and life-long health impacts as a result of treatment? The ACA takes away that concern in case I lose my job or want to start my own business.

To date, my insurance has been billed almost 600K. That is more than I have made in my entire life. I am expected to live out a normal lifespan (so another 60 years, give or take) but will need medical care for my lungs and heart for the rest of my life.

It could happen to you, too.
I'm glad you are on the mend!

Unfortunately it's really easy for people on an internet forum to puff up and be critical of the healthcare and insurance issue. It's not until it hits home that some people might (and that's a maybe) change their tunes.

My best friend lost his fight with cancer at age 44. Way too young to die. His medical bills were a tad higher than yours, and it was a struggle just for him and his wife to cover their co-pays and out of pocket expenses, but they did. Certainly it came at the cost of them saving $ for their sons college or furthering education.

I for one wholeheartedly support a robust and working healthcare and insurance system (careful- I did not say 'government run' people). That means that I understand and accept that my cost of insurance should offset the care of others, as I too may need that support someday. That's why we live in a 'society'. We only function well as a society when we understand sometimes there is a greater need, not just our own.

The whole notion of preconditions eliminating someone from access to healthcare is frankly dangerous (in my opinion). You are a prime example of EXACTLY why shared cost and risk is so darned important in these matters. You are, after all, a member of this society, and God willing for many years to come.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Quote:
He was self-employed for maybe 20 years after being sheriff, wasn't he? Seems like he has done ok since then, Or was he employed at some place after that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nobody knows.....that's my entire point about this thread...people are running
because he's a conservative...noting more nothing less....
After losing re-election for Sheriff in 1996 (voters thought he was too distracted with national issues) he became a gun lobbyist for a time, ran and lost badly in 3 elections, and now his income comes from writing books ("The MAGIC of Gun Control"...) and the far right wing lecture circuit. Mack claims he can't get health insurance because he's self employed.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,024 times
Quote:
Here is something for ya, how about lets get all the facts, first...I know lefties hate facts, they just run with it....look look look a conservative is in the hospital who did not have insurance....

I don't know if he could afford it or not but by god he is a conservative and hates the ACA...so screw all the facts...lets just run with it...

What if he could not afford the ACA? You and NO other leftie can say this, even with the ACA....maybe he could not afford it..

No, they cannot, the same amount of people will still not have insurance, talk about unicorns flying outa your ass....what a lie...
I am not a fan of ACA. But health insurance is health insurance. Regardless of how you get there, it is still health insurance.

Who knows if he could afford it or not? I think that he lives in Arizona and would have been covered by expanded Medicaid if his income were below a certain level. Still (as I previously posted) he must have done ok being self-employed for 20 years.

But at age 62, having just had a heart attack and that during ACA open enrollment period and still not applying? Especially since his wife also had medical problems during that time-frame?

Sorry, it makes no sense. His financial problems are of his own making.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Quote:
But at age 62, having just had a heart attack and that during ACA open enrollment period and still not applying? Especially since his wife also had medical problems during that time-frame?

It makes no sense that his wife was hospitalized in November, before the open enrollment period, and he still didn't get insurance.

If with his high profile he can barely raise $30,000 (way short of paying for serious medical bills) it leaves little hope for others trying the GoFundMe begging route.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The first problem encountered had nothing to do with my insurer. It had to do with this guy who presently goes by the name Barack Obama.

I lost my plan upon the arrival of BO's signature legislation.
ACA is not insurance. It doesn't sell insurance.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,350 times
Quote:
What did I post that was false?

LOL....the same amount of people before and after the ACA still do not have insurance....

Here, I'll break it down kindergarten easy for you...

Group A prior to the ACA 15,000,000 insured

Group B prior to the ACA 15,000,000 uninsured

Group A AFTER the the ACA 15,000,000 uninsured

Group B AFTER the ACA 15,000,000 insured

Only an idiot would believe that because people lost insurance and people gained insurance that it's an overall positive...

You cannot tell me if he could even afford insurance...we have a bunch of left wing people saying...see see see...look a conservative refused to get ACA....yet not a damn 1 can prove that he could afford insurance...

Signed obama....

If the ACA isn't working, why did the uninsured rate go from 17.1 % to 12.99 %

In U.S., Uninsured Rate Sinks to 12.9%

Old 03-01-2015, 01:20 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
I am not a fan of ACA. But health insurance is health insurance. Regardless of how you get there, it is still health insurance.

Who knows if he could afford it or not? I think that he lives in Arizona and would have been covered by expanded Medicaid if his income were below a certain level. Still (as I previously posted) he must have done ok being self-employed for 20 years.

What is your definition of done OK?

Your last sentence can go for everyone who cannot afford insurance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies