Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:51 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,125,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Are you kidding? We're talking about Texas. There are no DPs or civil unions here.
Texas - a state that requires students in sex-education classes be taught that homosexuality is "lifestyle", is an "unacceptable" lifestyle, and is illegal.

Texas, which in the 2000s still arrested and prosecuted gay people for having sex with other gay people in the privacy of their own homes - and only stopped when ordered to by the US Supreme Court in 2003. Gay sex still remains illegal under Texas law, even if the law is now unenforceable.

Texas, a state that not only bans gay people from civil marriage law, but also bans the conferring of any legal rights to gay couples under any heading - be it marriage, civil union, domestic partnership, etc.

Texas, a state where a Christian boss can fire a gay employee simply for being gay, but where it's illegal for a gay boss to fire a Christian employee simply for being Christian.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,263,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Texas - a state that requires students in sex-education classes be taught that homosexuality is "lifestyle", is an "unacceptable" lifestyle, and is illegal.

Texas, which in the 2000s still arrested and prosecuted gay people for having sex with other gay people in the privacy of their own homes - and only stopped when ordered to by the US Supreme Court in 2003. Gay sex still remains illegal under Texas law, even if the law is now unenforceable.

Texas, a state that not only bans gay people from civil marriage law, but also bans the conferring of any legal rights to gay couples under any heading - be it marriage, civil union, domestic partnership, etc.

Texas, a state where a Christian boss can fire a gay employee simply for being gay, but where it's illegal for a gay boss to fire a Christian employee simply for being Christian.
The answer is simple.

Don't be gay in Texas

Old 03-02-2015, 12:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,740,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Marriage confers concrete legal privileges in regards to taxation, estate protection, spousal privilege in regards to testifying, and myriad other instances.

It can soundly be argued laws preventing people entering into the marriage contract deprive them of those protections above.

So it is not a right....

One doesn't need to ask for their rights.
It my have been a right long ago, but the day government took it over, it became a privilege you must ask for.

Until an amendment to the constitution specifically addressing marriage, the 10th amendment takes over.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The answer is simple.

Don't be gay in Texas

That was awesome!

Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,105,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The answer is simple.

Don't be gay in Texas
Yeah, duh!

And don't be Jewish in Nazi Germany.

And don't be black in 1940s America.

And don't be smart in medieval Europe.

Simple solutions to simple problems!

Old 03-02-2015, 12:51 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Personally I find the entire homosexual thing a disgusting perversion. Makes me want to vomit and for that I guess I am a bigot?
No. "Bigotry" requires allowing your personal feelings about homosexuality to affect the way you conduct yourself toward homosexuals in public. Incidentally, for completeness: "Hatred" requires parlaying your bigotry into deliberate action against homosexuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The 14th Amendment doesn't protect rights because you have to ask for permission? What???????
In the reactionary mind, no one's rights are ever violated. It is part of a more generalized pattern of vacuous denial that fosters right-wing institutionalized bigotry.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,359,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Paid someone else to bake it.

Still disgusting. Celebrating being bigots and denying other people their rights.
I didn't vote for that scumbag. Or Greg Abbott.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Article 1 defines that everyone no matter what, is allowed the qualifications the Bill of Rights guarantees.
The Bill of Rights says nothing about Marriage. Contract Marriage is something created by government and men, to control others.
A sacred marriage is between you your lifemate and your god. You don't need a license or a preacher you just need each other.

There are many laws that prevent your and my happiness.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I didn't vote for that scumbag. Or Greg Abbott.

I did.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:23 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,795,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Article 1 defines that everyone no matter what, is allowed the qualifications the Bill of Rights guarantees.
The Bill of Rights says nothing about Marriage. Contract Marriage is something created by government and men, to control others.
And as long as the Government (state or federal) provides Contract Marriage to hetero couples and denies same-sex unions, it is violating the 14th amendment. The right being violated is equal treatment under the law, a precedent set in Loving v. Virginia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A sacred marriage is between you your lifemate and your god. You don't need a license or a preacher you just need each other.

There are many laws that prevent your and my happiness.
So we agree that homosexual sacred marriage already exists, as quite a few faiths and denominations do sanction same-sex marriages. So if it isn't a religious issue, why deny equal treament under the law regarding civil marriages? Seems that you would be for it, not against...

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies