Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The stock market began its climb long BEFORE the GOP had either the House or the Senate. The US dollar has been bouncing around throughout Obamas' presidency with no recognizable link to the GOP taking control of anything.

Gas prices have fallen because U.S. production is up AND U.S. CONSUMPTION is DOWN. He could have stopped fracking if he want to stop it, and he certainly pushed alternate energy source and increased energy efficiency - both of which factor pretty large into the consumption down part of the equation.

Maybe you should look up the history of the internet. Gore did play a pretty significant part on the political side. He didn't do the technical side, but even the 2 "fathers" of the internet, credit Gore with playing a pretty substantial (certainly more than ANY other politician) in its' creation. So substantial was his contribution that he was inducted into the internet hall of fame by the folks who RUN the internet. Yeah, I know, FOX News probably never bothered to mention that.

Who Invented the Internet?

Al Gore | Internet Hall of Fame

Maybe instead of posting ignorant nonsense on this board, you should spend some time actually learning some HISTORY.

Ken
How´s that Obamaaid? Mostly you just offer up some psychobabble and make a personal attacke without offering virtually anything that Obama has done other than he did not stop fracking is how he turned the economy around...I wanta say nice try but not really. You mentioned alternative energy sources well maybe that's something but I really think that is overall somewhat insignificant to the overall picture. I have a 30 panel solar panel system that I installed on my house and it helps...some but the incentive offered is most of what I get out of that deal.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 03-03-2015 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
With interest rates so low, there's nowhere for investors to put their money other than the stock market. There is no reason it should be as high as it is right now; we're in a bubble fueled by low interest rates and easy access to capital.
This. I want to open a college education fund for my new granddaughter. Trying to find where to put the money in order to get a decent return is proving difficult. The market so far is coming down to be my only option... and just not sure I want her money there.. Of course, I suppose even if it tanks again, I'll have 18 years to recoup.......

Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Wow stocks are high, oh yes that is real money.
Wow look at my pay check it just went up.... oh wait it didn't, oh! oh! I know we will all get a bigger bonus this year... Oh that right we won't.

Stocks and dollar values, based on the FED printing money, and artificially low interest rates. When has that happened before. I wonder if wall street tells more lies then truth.

Expect a crash soon with will make 2008 look calm.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
How´s that Obamaaid? Mostly you just offer up some psychobabble and make a personal attacke without offering virtually anything that Obama has done other than he did not stop fracking is how he turned the economy around...I wanta say nice try but not really. You mentioned alternative energy sources well maybe that's something but I really think that is overall somewhat insignificant to the overall picture. I have a 30 panel solar panel system that I installed on my house and it helps...some but the incentive offered is most of what I get out of that deal.
I live in a train town and I see trains passing by every week or so fully loaded with enormous turbine blades. Everyone of those turbine blades means we are less dependent of foreign (or even domestic) oil As I said, U.S. energy consumption (oil in particular) is DOWN significantly from it's peak. This, in spite of the fact that the U.S. has more people driving more cars than ever before. The U.S. is now consuming the lowest amount of oil per dollar of GDP in more than 40 years.

Bloomberg Graphics - Business, Financial & Economic News, Stock Quotes

This is because there has been a significant focus on alternative energy generation. Solar energy generation has QUADRUPLED since 2010.

US Solar Energy Capacity Grew An Astounding 418% From 2010-2014

All in all, non-hydropower renewable energy is on track to increase from 2 percent of total generation when he came into office, to 6.7 percent between now and 2025. Hydropower meanwhile, is on course to jump from 10 percent to 14 percent of total electrical generation. If we stay on that course, renewable sources of electrical power will be at 21 percent by 2025 - pretty close to Obamas' target of 25% of the nations electrical generation.

And all of that is IN SPITE of bitter GOP opposition to Obamas' focus on alternative energy sources.

Ken

Old 03-03-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Wow stocks are high, oh yes that is real money.
Wow look at my pay check it just went up.... oh wait it didn't, oh! oh! I know we will all get a bigger bonus this year... Oh that right we won't.

Stocks and dollar values, based on the FED printing money, and artificially low interest rates. When has that happened before. I wonder if wall street tells more lies then truth.

Expect a crash soon with will make 2008 look calm.
HOW long have you been "expecting" that now?
What have stocks done in the meantime?
More than DOUBLED?
I think you don't have much of a track record regarding predicting much of anything.

And I'm sorry your wages aren't going up. Maybe you're just not any good at your job. If you ARE then your wages should begin rising soon. Wage growth has been dampened by the fact that - until recently - the UE was still rather elevated. I've been saying for well over a year now, that once the UE rate drops below 6% we should start seeing competition for labor (or at least the BEST workers) start to rise wages. and sure enough, last month saw the biggest average wage gain in 6 years.

Ken

Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I live in a train town and I see trains passing by every week or so fully loaded with enormous turbine blades. Everyone of those turbine blades means we are less dependent of foreign (or even domestic) oil As I said, U.S. energy consumption (oil in particular) is DOWN significantly from it's peak. This, in spite of the fact that the U.S. has more people driving more cars than ever before. The U.S. is now consuming the lowest amount of oil per dollar of GDP in more than 40 years.

Bloomberg Graphics - Business, Financial & Economic News, Stock Quotes

This is because there has been a significant focus on alternative energy generation. Solar energy generation has QUADRUPLED since 2010.

US Solar Energy Capacity Grew An Astounding 418% From 2010-2014

All in all, non-hydropower renewable energy is on track to increase from 2 percent of total generation when he came into office, to 6.7 percent between now and 2025. Hydropower meanwhile, is on course to jump from 10 percent to 14 percent of total electrical generation. If we stay on that course, renewable sources of electrical power will be at 21 percent by 2025 - pretty close to Obamas' target of 25% of the nations electrical generation.

And all of that is IN SPITE of bitter GOP opposition to Obamas' focus on alternative energy sources.

Ken
I don't know Republicans that bitterly oppose alternative energy. Every Repulcian I know wants to be free of Middle east oil.

I don't think you and I would differ much on energy...I support alternative energy development for several reasons and bought and instaled a large 30 panel system for my house and I support energy usage reductions. I would like to think it's making a major mpact but actually the fracking oil was a much larger impact on oil prices and dollar valuation.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
This. I want to open a college education fund for my new granddaughter. Trying to find where to put the money in order to get a decent return is proving difficult. The market so far is coming down to be my only option... and just not sure I want her money there.. Of course, I suppose even if it tanks again, I'll have 18 years to recoup.......
Yup. I started a high-yield savings account in 2006 and it was earning almost 4%. That same account today is paying about .75%. I want to move my savings into something more aggressive, but I'm too reluctant to make a move until there's a sizable correction in the market.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't know Republicans that bitterly oppose alternative energy. Every Repulcian I know wants to be free of Middle east oil.

I don't think you and I would differ much on energy...I support alternative energy development for several reasons and bought and instaled a large 30 panel system for my house and I support energy usage reductions. I would like to think it's making a major mpact but actually the fracking oil was a much larger impact on oil prices and dollar valuation.
The Republicans you know may "want to be free of Middle East oil", but they sure don't seem (as a party) to offer up much support for alternative energy. Romney and the GOP platform opposed the continuation of U.S. wind-energy tax credits that have been in place for 20 years and promised to cut off loan guarantees that have been critical for the growth of solar power.

There is NO doubt that the huge increase in U.S. oil production has played a major part in the lowering of gas prices. This is not an either/or type of situation, BOTH the increase in U.S. oil production AND the development of alternate energy and the phasing in of higher auto fuel standards etc, have played a part in it.

The claim that many in the GOP make that Obama is "waging war on fossil fuels" just doesn't hold up when U.S. oil production is SURGING.

Ken

Old 03-03-2015, 04:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Markets still have a ton of steam and momentum...................I strongly suspect it will keep going up and up at least until the elections are over with. But then again, what do I know?????????

Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
If the stock market was down, Republicans would be blaming Obama.

If gas prices were high, Republicans would be blaming Obama.

If unemployment was high, Republicans would be blaming Obama.

But all these indicators look great. So now Republicans are rooting for America to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies