Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I get what you're saying. Tho word is Black cops WILL profile young Black dudes too, it ain't just a lighter skin cop thing.

Blame it on the hood rats who follow the "crab pot" religion of trying to keep Black people trying to take care of business in their "place". Kinda like the KKK of 50 years ago.
I would ask that all black people take a good look, discipline their kids and bring them up to respect authority whether it be parents, teachers and/or any law enforcement. If this community wants to shed the fact that a portion of their population has earned a bad reputation which reflects on many more, then they should clean up that segment of their population or at least strongly support the many ways to accomplish same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm already hearing this is the case in the St. Louis area - the message to cops is look the other way. Don't get involved if you don't have to. Now some may say that's a good thing - but it's well documented that crime was out of control in NYC until they started with the broken windows policing. Now the message is look the other way. Darren Wilson is exonerated but I guarantee you he wishes he looked the other way.

I guess we will have a big social experiment to see how this pans out the next several years or perhaps decades.

It will be the law abiding citizens in places like Ferguson that will bear the brunt of this.
I think Wilson will be just fine.

There has been money collected for him.

If he were my friend.........I would encourage him to write a book.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I would ask that all black people take a good look, discipline their kids and bring them up to respect authority whether it be parents, teachers and/or any law enforcement. If this community wants to shed the fact that a portion of their population has earned a bad reputation which reflects on many more, then they should clean up that segment of their population or at least strongly support the many ways to accomplish same.
SMH

This is the thing. There are already Black people doing the things you are speaking of. There are already Black people raising their children properly, bringing them up to obey the law and be non-confrontational towards authority. You don't tell individuals who are already doing their job "do your job and these things won't happen to you". Sounds patronizing and it ignores the reality.

And as I've said in other threads, the underclass types don't care how it looks, they aren't concerned about how they are not helping the image of Black people. Nothing one can do about those types. Blacks who are taking care of business have a hard time trying to get through to those types. What you expect Blacks who are already taking care of business to do? Go back to the 'hood and babysit a bunch of hood rats?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I get what you're saying. Tho word is Black cops WILL profile young Black dudes too, it ain't just a lighter skin cop thing.

Blame it on the hood rats who follow the "crab pot" religion of trying to keep Black people trying to take care of business in their "place". Kinda like the KKK of 50 years ago.
Fact is, Blacks being profiled by the police has been an ongoing problem long before the nations crime rates started getting worse.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Let's talk about the DOJ report.

It's laughable. (Although I did stop at page 33 due to the same crap over and over)

First, you have all of these anecdotal stories of "abuse" without any explanation of the officers side. Did the officers in these stories acknowledge the stories were true? If so, why didn't the report state that? If not, what was the other side?

Second, the report talks about how FPD is revenue driven. Really? Let's see a report about how the federal government or just about every other level of government does when we start talking about revenue. What a joke. I love the story about the woman who didn't pay her tickets or show up for court causes her to get more violations for failure to appear and more fines. Let's see here, if I didn't pay my taxes and didn't show up for court appearances, what would happen to me? Would the federal government not issue warrants for failure to appear? Would the IRS not penalize me further monetarily? Of course they would. Does that mean they are racist against me? LOL.

Third, the report makes a big deal out of the statistics of black arrests and stops. They show that Ferguson has a black population of 67%, and that auto stops of black is 85%, citations 90% and arrests 93%. That does sound bad. Let's focus on the worst, the 93% of arrests are black people and the populations 67% black. That means there is a bias of 38%. Now, let's compare this local bias that the DOJ says is racially motivated to the DOJ's racial bias. Black people make up 12.6% of the US population ( Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The percentage of people in federal prison that are black, put their by the DOJ, is 37.5% ( BOP Statistics: Inmate Race ). So, what would be the bias there? 195%. Yes, that's right the racial bias of the DOJ is five times greater than Ferguson.

------------

Let's summarize. The report is filled with one-sided anecdotal accounts. The report says that Ferguson, like pretty much every government, focuses on revenue. And, Ferguson's racial bias is five times lower than the DOJ.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I can't help but think this tragic though justified shooting was hyped and whipped into a frenzy by the media and made worse by the Obama administration. Was it all to somehow distract America from other scandals or was it done to bring attention to a real problem in America?

Young black men are singled out by the police more than any other race but the problem is they are usually guilty of breaking the law thus get the most attention from the police. It is a catch 22 of sorts.

What Brown did was stupid. What the angry people did to their own community was stupid. It is sad.
I think it was done to keep Americans divided and distrustful of one another, and destructive to the interests of their own communities.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:22 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

It's laughable. (Although I did stop at page 33 due to the same crap over and over)

First, you have all of these anecdotal stories of "abuse" without any explanation of the officers side. Did the officers in these stories acknowledge the stories were true? If so, why didn't the report state that? If not, what was the other side?

Second, the report talks about how FPD is revenue driven. Really? Let's see a report about how the federal government or just about every other level of government does when we start talking about revenue. What a joke. I love the story about the woman who didn't pay her tickets or show up for court causes her to get more violations for failure to appear and more fines. Let's see here, if I didn't pay my taxes and didn't show up for court appearances, what would happen to me? Would the federal government not issue warrants for failure to appear? Would the IRS not penalize me further monetarily? Of course they would. Does that mean they are racist against me? LOL.

Third, the report makes a big deal out of the statistics of black arrests and stops. They show that Ferguson has a black population of 67%, and that auto stops of black is 85%, citations 90% and arrests 93%. That does sound bad. Let's focus on the worst, the 93% of arrests are black people and the populations 67% black. That means there is a bias of 38%. Now, let's compare this local bias that the DOJ says is racially motivated to the DOJ's racial bias. Black people make up 12.6% of the US population ( Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The percentage of people in federal prison that are black, put their by the DOJ, is 37.5% ( BOP Statistics: Inmate Race ). So, what would be the bias there? 195%. Yes, that's right the racial bias of the DOJ is five times greater than Ferguson.

------------

Let's summarize. The report is filled with one-sided anecdotal accounts. The report says that Ferguson, like pretty much every government, focuses on revenue. And, Ferguson's racial bias is five times lower than the DOJ.
I thought the same thing about those stories. The one lady had if I recall 7 no shows at court.

The man who was cooling off after a basketball game says he lost his federal job because of this charges. If they were not legitimate why did he lose his job.

Why does a supposedly/allegedly well thought out unbiased report such as this contain such anecdotal stories anyway? I am surprised they didn't include the one sided anecdotal incident where according to a witness a young black man put his hands and asked to not be shot but the policeman did anyway.

A local police dept. uses traffic tickets as a source of revenue. They needed six or how ever many months to come to this conclusion. Where I live there is a small town "Islandia" NY and I am convinced tickets must be there main source of revenue. I received a ticket from there (I was guilty) and viewed how it works. They make deals with almost all people reducing moving violations to things such as parking. The courthouse is full to bursting everyday and I am sure this community is no isolated case. To get back to the lady and her no shows. I tried to change my date at the last minute because of a business engagement and I was told a bench warrant would be issued if I did not show.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:49 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

------------

Great post!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Everyone who paid attention to this case and read the posts here with an open mind knew this alread. The whole "hands up" nonsense was a complete fabrication.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:49 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
SMH

This is the thing. There are already Black people doing the things you are speaking of. There are already Black people raising their children properly, bringing them up to obey the law and be non-confrontational towards authority. You don't tell individuals who are already doing their job "do your job and these things won't happen to you". Sounds patronizing and it ignores the reality.

And as I've said in other threads, the underclass types don't care how it looks, they aren't concerned about how they are not helping the image of Black people. Nothing one can do about those types. Blacks who are taking care of business have a hard time trying to get through to those types. What you expect Blacks who are already taking care of business to do? Go back to the 'hood and babysit a bunch of hood rats?
Raise their young correctly. It takes a few generations to correct a problem that has been running wild for many generations. It has to start somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies