Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,693,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Even a Nobel Price winner saying something within his field of study. He was shunned and become an outcast in the science community.

Why does our society do that to someone who said something that society disagrees with, instead, society should use science and facts to prove him wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/ny...n-it.html?_r=0
Political correctness is a tool by the left to punish anyone they disagree with, and it's created a climate of self-censorship and fear, where the slightest slip of the tongue or poor attempt at satire or the telling of a bad joke can get you fired or ruin your professional career.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,581,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Political correctness is a tool by the left to punish anyone they disagree with, and it's created a climate of self-censorship and fear, where the slightest slip of the tongue or poor attempt at satire or the telling of a bad joke can get you fired or ruin your professional career.
Ah yes, and if someone came out & said the exact same thing about the intelligence of white people, conservative white men all over the land would be screaming & clutching their chests in outrage. You know it to be true.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
I have always been annoyed that I had to refrain for political comment in my workplaces for fear of my job and income. I consider that to be political coercion by the owners of the place. As I needed their money I just refrained from comment.

Now that I am retired I can say what I please when I please. I like that.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,115,597 times
With great freedom comes great responsibility.

I believe strongly anyone should be able to be as un-pc as they want. If a purely private biz receiving no taxpayer subsidies, grants, or loans wishes to discriminate against X, I consider this their right and the business of no government entity.

If people boycott that biz, and their suppliers, and their advertisers, and force that biz into ruin, this is their right as well.

The market works.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,537,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Even a Nobel Price winner saying something within his field of study. He was shunned and become an outcast in the science community.

Why does our society do that to someone who said something that society disagrees with, instead, society should use science and facts to prove him wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/ny...n-it.html?_r=0
its all about MONEY corporations need customers and people spend based on how they feel about said corporation. If you offend a potential customer this sort of thing happens. Its both good and bad, depending on who you ask.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Perhaps were it not for European colonialism they
would have achieved this on their own already? Instead, Europeans (later
Americans) used them as slaves, ruled their countries, and stole their
resources.
And destroyed their universities as well.

Quote:
Know your history. And yes, it is entirely relevant. If you deny someone
educational opportunities for centuries, you cannot expect them, or their
descendants, to be on par with centuries of descendants who spent years studying
in the best universities in the world.
Slavery and colonialism took the best human and natural resources from Africa and destroyed the continent in the process.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The statement is not idiotic (except politically-which it certainly was), nor ignorant. Subsaharan Africans do not demonstrate the cognitive ability (on average) that Eurasians do. It is obvious from a million angles.

It is true that individuals of all groups can be brilliant, but the mean across groups is statistically different, and every comparative test and thousands of years of material culture suggests the obvious truth that in IQ East Asian>Europeans>Africans. This is only one dimension of a person's importance and has no bearing on one's rights or inherent contribution to humanity. But the fact that people will go through great gyrations to deny the obvious, and worse, to perpetually imply oppression to explain basic biology, seems intellectually dishonest.

Since none of our laws hinge on intellect, it is pretty meaningless on the personal level. Some people are smart and capable, others smart and incapable, some dull and incapable, others dull and amazingly capable, and most of us are somewhere in the middle (approaching the mean). I think the average IQ of a groups is very important, because it predicts the level of complexity and competence of a given society, and its ability to assimilate new information and skills. The explosive growth of east Asian economies (e.g. Japan 100 years ago, China today),and their rapid adoption of the cutting edge innovations vs. the perpetual chaos and underachievement sub-Saharan countries cannot be blamed exclusively on Europeans. We discriminated against both.

I wish no ill with these views, but as a scientist and rationalist, and a leftist, I cannot stomach the parroting of irrational explanations for the self-evident. It is also true that if I were to write even these common sense ideas in a work e-mail, my career would be over.

And my solutions are hardly racist. I suggest that we enthusiastically mix the races with east Asians marrying Africans, Europeans, Australians, Melanesians, etc. Why not, the children are often gorgeous and often have some of the strength of both races. And as we converge on a global mean IQ, our political institutions will become more readily transportable across political and racial boundaries. Racial purity is an idiotic end game, IMO.

I love it. Blacks are stupid, so let's mix them out of existence. Sounds like mestizaje gone wild to me. Are you from Latin America?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,742,394 times
Oh yes! I have been chastised and threatened with termination for not supporting .............
POST EDITED FOR FEAR THAT SOMEONE FROM WORK MY BE READING THIS......

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,115,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Oh yes! I have been chastised and threatened with termination for not supporting .............
POST EDITED FOR FEAR THAT SOMEONE FROM WORK MY BE READING THIS......
I have to self-censor saying anything positive about Islam/Muslims on my FB page so my clients don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies