Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 08:02 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,852,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I enjoy watching you post racist things online...

please keep going, I'm sure you have a few more make believe coworkers who tell better jokes than that.
Racist to some it telling like it is to another.

I doubt you like it. In fact when someone answers as above it is the exact opposite. They are steaming like a little child.

Well I work with Hispanics and they think American blacks are lazy mofos. Company refused to hire any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,667,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's the strongest argument that the university could make in trying to expel students. Specifically, they would argue that the students were making threats against members of the student body, which are not protected by the First Amendment. But, something tells me that this song, while repulsive, is a "traditional" song either of this chapter or fraternity in general. If that is the case, and its clear that this is all the song is nothing more than that (again, no matter how repulsive the song is) and that no member of the chapter/frat has ever acted/tried to act on those lyrics, the university will fail in that regard as the song is protected.

Note, there are several high-funded legal groups (including FIRE) that would gladly initiate legal action against the university if it tried to take such actions against the students.
helllllllll no...

you can't use tradition as an excuse.

nope, not gonna fly.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,667,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Racist to some it telling like it is to another.

I doubt you like it. In fact when someone answers as above it is the exact opposite. They are steaming like a little child.

Well I work with Hispanics and they think American blacks are lazy mofos. Company refused to hire any.
stop hiding behind other people...

own you racism dude,

man up or shut up...

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,852,794 times
Again. What is Racist to some is just telling like it is to others.

True story. but whatever. Certain types, especially on CD, are incredibly delusional. Where you stand is obvious.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 AM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You need to go back to law school.

Here, for example, is a portion from the Rutgers University Student Code of Conduct:

"As members of the University community, students are expected to uphold our stated values by maintaining a high standard of conduct. Because the University establishes high standards for membership, its standards of conduct may exceed federal, state, or local requirements.

Students are expected to take responsibility for their conduct. Disciplinary consequences therefore serve both educational and deterrence objectives."

The University, through authority given to it by its Board of Governors, is responsible for communicating behavioral expectations to students and the consequences for violating standards."

University Code of Student Conduct

Rutgers is a state university.

Me thinks your education was a bit lacking...
No, you just need to get a better grip on the Constitution and the law. Seriously, though, you're too much; it's actually laughable that this most basic of concepts isn't understood by more people. A university code of conduct can say anything. That, however, doesn't change the fact that a public university's code of conduct doesn't supersede the Constitution. Seriously, is it really that difficult to comprehend that a public university, much less a state (think Southern states passing laws restricting the rights of blacks and others in contravention of the U.S. Constitution), cannot overrule the Constitution? This is constitutional law 101 and something that you don't have to go to law school to understand. The Constitution protects individuals from government action; a pamphlet or other inferior rule/law does nothing to change that.

Note, its not even clear what that portion of the Rutgers' Code of Conduct is referring to. Do try again.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:08 AM

19,859 posts, read 12,136,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
People are threatening their lives. I'd say it did incite violence.
And those who are threatening their lives should be dealt with as well. If they are students, they should be expelled as well as any legal actions.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 AM

39,097 posts, read 51,300,952 times
SAE may need to be dissolved. This is not the first incident. SAE is under investigation at the University of Arizona for harassing a Jewish fraternity by banging on the door and shouting "racist" slurs at the occupants. At ASU, the fraternity has been linked to student deaths in binge drinking episodes. SAE has been banned from the ASU campus. SAE sounds like a fraternity for drunken, out of control racists - not something that top universities want associated with their names.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 AM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your analysis is simplistic. "Merely because the university objects to the language used"? You can try to minimize the students' actions in this case, but violations of the code of conduct are not "merely" nor are they arbitrary in this case. The students were openly advocating racist behavior. Excluding a group of people from a fraternity because of their race is racist behavior. The school's code of conduct is written because the school acknowledges its obligation to defend students' rights to free speech, but the school also acknowledges its obligation to defend students' right to learn in an atmosphere where racism and hatred is absent. The school cannot and does not prohibit students' freedom of thought, free to be racist, or freedom of speech. The school can and does prohibit acts of racism which may contribute to an atmosphere of fear and intimidation on a campus where minority students are attending to pursue an education.

While I think the school should complete a full and thorough investigation of this incident before handing down any judgments, I also think that at this point the University's repudiation of this kind of behavior is appropriate.
Not simplistic at all. Rather, it's the attempts to make the students' song/speech, while deplorable, racist, and hateful, something more than it is, that is the problem for the reasons I outlined. Openly advocating racist behavior is not illegal and is protected speech! And while acts of racism are not protected, I'm missing where the students in question here took any action. Why is this so difficult to understand??

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM

15,652 posts, read 10,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
And those who are threatening their lives should be dealt with as well. If they are students, they should be expelled as well as any legal actions.
I agree. I wonder if the death threat violence directed toward the fraternity members by others is being pursued by the university or the police? One injustice doesn't excuse another.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,233,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So a government entity can violate the constitution as long as they put it in a handbook? Why not make one for landowners, taxpayers, workers, citizens...
Have not had a job for a while have you. Private Corps. have those rules in place and have not been turned back.

It does not sound like they have violated the 1st to me. The students involved are in a place of their own making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies