Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,249,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terperoni View Post
Why has there been this push for globalization for the last 25 years?
How many hours per week do you spend getting water for drinking, bathing, cooking, washing etc?

Quote:
Is this a case of corporations manipulating governments to make policies / trade agreements that open up new markets for them to sell their cokes and big macs?
BRICS is the sole driver of so-called globalization.

Without BRICS, there would be no globalization.

Quote:
Also, does the Republican Party's silence on illegal immigration confirm that they are in Big Business's back pocket and will keep silent so these corporations can keep their cheap labor?
Obama's amnesty shows the Democrats are "in Big Business's back pocket."

Why do the Democrats keep silent?

What's your real agenda?....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 09:50 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,564,194 times
Former West German Chancellor Willy Brandt said: "The New World Order is a world that has supranational authority to regulate the world commerce and industry; an international organization that would control the production and consumption of oil; an international currency that would replace the dollar; a world development fund that would make funds available to free and communist nations alike; an international police force to enforce the edicts of the New World Order".

'an international organization that would control the production and consumption of oil'

Which appears to explain the motivation behind the AGW alarmism movement.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:52 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,789,408 times
I'm really not sure how the rise of western liberal democracy as a global influence is going to lead to a world fascist state.

The US isn't perfect but I really don't think they're burning books or killing people based on their race/sexual orientation/religion.

The US is far more Brave New World than 1984-- the capitalists would fill the world with useless, frivolous crap to distract everyone and turn them into mindless consumers before they started stomping on our throats with their boots. I mean, the former just works so much better... why would they waste money and risk potential revolution when they can just pacify everyone with superhero movies, Coca Cola and travel packages? Why would they want to kill people when they'll gladly accept a ****ty wage so they can save up for the latest iPhone?

And while the threat of fascism and oppression is always there, I can't see how a global government is worse than warring nation states. Exactly what part of this sinister conspiracy am I supposed to be so terrified of?

(waiting to be labelled a typical liberal who supports the use of force)

Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,977,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I said globalization is a free market at work, I never said the global market itself was free. Globalization as we define it is easing restrictions on international commerce, which makes trade more free.

More free than 30 years ago when it was 100%.

No, it's corporatist. I never said the market was free. I said globalization is a process that makes it more free.
The reality is also that it will always be "less free" as long as politicians and statesmen are for sale.

China is not becoming "more" free either.

China's State-owned Companies Take Back Seat to Private Firms

Quote:
The dramatic rise of China’s economy has come with dramatic shifts in the makeup of its economy. China’s leadership has enacted various reforms over the past 30 years to move away from the dominance of state-owned companies and allow private enterprises to flourish and create a consistent growth of the economy at roughly 7.5 percent a year. Despite the trend, much of the economic reporting about China has remained centered on large state-owned companies.
The only ones it becomes "Free" for is Nationless Corporations that are able to exploit all countries and not be held back from the interests of citizens in Nations.

So, the Big Corporations are going to one day remove themselves from inner politics and lobbying also in order to pave the way for more free markets?

Sounds like a pipe dream

Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
China is not becoming "more" free either.

China's State-owned Companies Take Back Seat to Private Firms
WTF? That's exactly what the article said China is doing, and it is especially evident in the quote you posted.

Of course, I'm assuming you associate freedom with private ownership and aren't drawing some other conclusion.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
WTF? That's exactly what the article said China is doing, and it is especially evident in the quote you posted.

Of course, I'm assuming you associate freedom with private ownership and aren't drawing some other conclusion.
Private would entail no strings attached to government, and China and this country seem to be heading in the opposite direction.

They may be under "private ownership" but use the government to force people to pay them through crony contracts and or taking over once public functions.

If you take over needed government services and privatize it, you have just found a cash cow.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Private would entail no strings attached to government, and China and this country seem to be heading in the opposite direction.

They may be under "private ownership" but use the government to force people to pay them through crony contracts and or taking over once public functions.

If you take over needed government services and privatize it, you have just found a cash cow.
Private just means it is owned privately. If the state is doing everything it can to help you and hurt everyone else, it doesn't mean that suddenly the state owns a part of your business.

China is definitely not moving away from privatization-- we're talking about a former communist state here.

I would somewhat agree with the last part... especially for services that lend themselves to monopolies.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Private just means it is owned privately. If the state is doing everything it can to help you and hurt everyone else, it doesn't mean that suddenly the state owns a part of your business.

China is definitely not moving away from privatization-- we're talking about a former communist state here.

I would somewhat agree with the last part... especially for services that lend themselves to monopolies.
Yep. I believe the Private production of widgets is great in the market place.
But Privatizing for example water utilities that everyone needs and the emphasis is only on shareholder and executive profits will turn out bad for everyone.

It is a guaranteed cash cow since everyone needs water

Old 03-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yep. I believe the Private production of widgets is great in the market place.
But Privatizing for example water utilities that everyone needs and the emphasis is only on shareholder and executive profits will turn out bad for everyone.

It is a guaranteed cash cow since everyone needs water
I think it would take quite some time to monopolize the water supply in the US, but not as long if you're talking about developing countries.

I'm waiting for the day someone decides that they can own the air and charge everyone a dollar per day to breathe it.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,973,695 times
Quote:
I'm really not sure how the rise of western liberal democracy as a global influence is going to lead to a world fascist state.

The US isn't perfect but I really don't think they're burning books or killing people based on their race/sexual orientation/religion.

The US is far more Brave New World than 1984-- the capitalists would fill the world with useless, frivolous crap to distract everyone and turn them into mindless consumers before they started stomping on our throats with their boots. I mean, the former just works so much better... why would they waste money and risk potential revolution when they can just pacify everyone with superhero movies, Coca Cola and travel packages? Why would they want to kill people when they'll gladly accept a ****ty wage so they can save up for the latest iPhone?

And while the threat of fascism and oppression is always there, I can't see how a global government is worse than warring nation states. Exactly what part of this sinister conspiracy am I supposed to be so terrified of?

(waiting to be labelled a typical liberal who supports the use of force)
what happens is as we progress towards a one world government, we get away from electing those leaders, as it wouldnt work to have a world wide election of a world president/prime minister. instead we would be electing our representative to the UN, and that body would determine its leader. that person would then become the most powerful person on the planet, and could create a coalition government, and tehn essentially rule the world though the use of control over corporations and international laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies