Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 03:48 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It looks like it's already starting:

House Republicans are proposing to cut $5.5 trillion in U.S. government spending and balance the budget in nine years by cutting Medicaid and food stamps and partially privatizing Medicare.

And don't forget, a lot of Medicaid, most of it even, goes to seniors.
Most of it? No. Have you forgotten that nearly half of all U.S. births are paid for by Medicaid? And then those babies/children/mothers remain on Medicaid.

http://publichealth.gwu.edu/content/...-united-states

Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Most of it? No. Have you forgotten that nearly half of all births are paid for by Medicaid? And then those babies/children/mothers remain on Medicaid.

http://publichealth.gwu.edu/content/...-united-states

I don't care if you end Medicaid. Just remember that seniors are huge participants of Medicaid. And they remain on Medicaid...well....

Old 03-17-2015, 03:53 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
I'm a Democrat but I will vote for whatever reduces Medicare. So in this instance they've gained a vote.
You weirdo you!

<LOL>

What's your reason?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter, looks like Republicans are working on privatizing anyway. Medicare could be very different by the time you do retire:

House Republicans released a 2016 spending blueprint Tuesday that fulfills the GOP goal of balancing the budget within 10 years, but only by slashing Medicare and other safety net programs, while dramatically boosting military spending.

The annual budget, at $3.8 trillion this year, revisits the GOP's past ideas for shrinking government -- including its signature proposal for overhauling Medicare with a voucher-like private insurance option.

House GOP budget cuts Medicare, repeals Affordable Care Act - LA Times

I love this so much.
Why do you continue to post about things that you know absolutely nothing about?

Medicare Advantage plans are offered only by private health insurance companies.

There are 2 other options re Medicare in addition to the Advantage plans but your ignorance in this area is too overwhelming for me to go further.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You weirdo you!

<LOL>

What's your reason?
You'd have to read this whole thread. My position is seniors have paid very little into Medicare (like seriously little, like $25,000 little, even over 50 years) and are collecting these massive Medicare benefits, which those that are younger have to supplement. Sounds good in theory except they also are the biggest opponents to the ACA/Obamacare. Their position is ACA participants are "takers" but they deserve it.

Now Republicans are going after Medicare. Since seniors typically vote Republican, I consider this sweet justice.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I don't care if you end Medicaid. Just remember that seniors are huge participants of Medicaid. And they remain on Medicaid...well....
Huge? Over 50%? Prove it.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Why do you continue to post about things that you know absolutely nothing about?

Medicare Advantage plans are offered only by private health insurance companies.

There are 2 other options re Medicare in addition to the Advantage plans but your ignorance in this area is too overwhelming for me to go further.
I don't care. Republicans are going for vouchers again so they can start Medicare privatization. By the time you retire, you get a voucher.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Huge? Over 50%? Prove it.
Did I say 50%? If so, my error. That particular article says two out of three are elderly or disabled. So..what if it's 40%? Doesn't matter, seniors are big Medicaid users.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:06 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
You'd have to read this whole thread. My position is seniors have paid very little into Medicare (like seriously little, like $25,000 little, even over 50 years) and are collecting these massive Medicare benefits, which those that are younger have to supplement. Sounds good in theory except they also are the biggest opponents to the ACA/Obamacare. Their position is ACA participants are "takers" but they deserve it.

Now Republicans are going after Medicare. Since seniors typically vote Republican, I consider this sweet justice.
Too many pages!! <LOL>

Medicare by its very nature will always be a serious subsidy for the aged. Assuming we remain a liberal and caring society.

And the reason has to do with the drastically accelerating HC needs and costs as one ages.

So we will all eventually need help and partake of the largesse.

Future HC costs will be enormous no matter what path we take moving forward. And any way you cut it, there will have to be huge central subsidies, including new money creation to help fund the monster. So not all moneys will have to come directly from the young and healthy.

I would recommend that you just ignore the 'Keep your Gov't hands off my Medicare!' crowd. Confusion and cognitive dissonance runs high there.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Did I say 50%? If so, my error. That particular article says two out of three are elderly or disabled. So..what if it's 40%? Doesn't matter, seniors are big Medicaid users.
No.

Quote:
Adults with annual family incomes of less than $30,000 are about three times as likely as those earning $100,000 or more to have received help from Social Security or Medicare.
A Bipartisan Nation of Beneficiaries | Pew Research Center

Those who pay the least get the most.

That's what we've been trying to tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies