Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 08:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because that's the entirety of the OP. Did you read it?
Yes, but you are drawing a conclusion that this is effecting the competency of workers, which is obviously not the case when corporate profits and worker productivity are at record levels.

The workers are just not seeing the fruits of their labor, as wealth is monopolized and policies are legislated for the benefit of megacorporations detached from our nation and uninterested in it's future.

Corporations only care about having access to our consumer market, but as new consumers arise around the globe the less they need Americans, which is why nothing is being done about diminishing wealth, loss of jobs/whole industries and buying power in this country.

Of the 100 largest economies in the World today, there are now more nationless corporations than entire nations of people. This has never happened before, where our economy/way of life is dictated by private interests and our nation essentially is no longer sovereign.

They've sucked us dry and are moving on.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-16-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:59 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
I don't think it's designed to insult Millennials. I think that it points out a big problem in our society. And I see it all the time. We hire Millennials expecting them to have a mastery of basic skills, and they don't. And it's difficult to train people who don't even possess basic literacy and numeracy skills. This was one of the reasons why several decades ago, companies were reluctant to move to the South. Because the impoverished states had problems supplying qualified workers. And while that situation has been improving, the Millennial generation is now posing some of those same problems. I think it's important to discuss what's at the root of this problem, and how to address it.
Several years ago I was contracted to hire and train staff for a transcription company. We were looking for candidates who had good English/grammar skills. I couldn't get past the e-mail responses I received from many of the Millenials who applied. They were applying for a job that required basic writing skills and their e-mails were full of sentence fragments of Internet acronyms, no capitalization, no punctuation. The few that I took on had abhorrent or non-existent basic English skills and didn't last a week. It was very disheartening.

I'm not saying all Millenials fall into this category, but I saw enough to realize that education has truly suffered in this country in the last few generations. I responded to every one of them and advised them that if they wanted to be considered for employment in the future they needed to rethink the way they responded to help wanted ads. Many didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:03 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Several years ago I was contracted to hire and train staff for a transcription company. We were looking for candidates who had good English/grammar skills. I couldn't get past the e-mail responses I received from many of the Millenials who applied. They were applying for a job that required basic writing skills and their e-mails were full of sentence fragments of Internet acronyms, no capitalization, no punctuation. The few that I took on had abhorrent or non-existent basic English skills and didn't last a week. It was very disheartening.

I'm not saying all Millenials fall into this category, but I saw enough to realize that education has truly suffered in this country in the last few generations. I responded to every one of them and advised them that if they wanted to be considered for employment in the future they needed to rethink the way they responded to help wanted ads. Many didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

OMG so true lol. Idk why they would think it's acceptable.

I'm in a similar situation. I do some occasional review of technical documents and cringe at the writing.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:12 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I have huge sympathy for Millennials. Boomers scraped the cream off the 20th Century and now listen to their rhetoric.

Boomers were born post WWII and received the benefits of union wages and lifetime pensions.

Boomers lived in an era of US manufacturing, no threat of outsourcing.

Boomers had the ability to go to college without having to take on extremely expensive student loans.

Boomers were able go to university without competing against international students who can afford to pay the highest rates to attend. Universities that receive less funding now give higher placement to the student that pays the most, which is typically an international student. That was not the case for Boomers.

Boomers get to retire at 62 and get Medicare coverage for the rest of their lives based on obscenely small contributions.

Boomers then reach that age of retirement, enjoy all those benefits, then spend their aging years insulting those that are younger then they are who have to pay ten times as much for an education to compete for a job against literally other countries, pay the highest rates for health coverage in US history while also paying for the Medicare recipients medical coverage and fund their Social Security.

I'm not a millennial but I get it. I don't know how they are going to afford to have families when child care costs are huge and the cost of homes increasing every year.
Word! F Boomers!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yes, but you are drawing a conclusion that this is effecting the compentency of workers, which is obviously not the case when corporate profits and worker productivity are at record levels.

The workers are just not seeing the fruits of their labor, as wealth is monopolized and policies are legislated for the benefit of megacorporations detached from our nation and uninterested in it's future.

Corporations only care about having access to our consumer market, but as new consumers arise around the globe the less they need Americans, which is why nothing is being done about diminishing wealth, loss of jobs and buying power in this country.
Actually, your conclusion is faulty. Since worker productivity is a measure of all workers, but Millennials make up only a portion of workers, you cannot correllate Millennials' competency to worker productivity. Personally, I've worked alongside many Millennials. They all had issues in terms of literacy and numeracy. The gaps varied, from someone who could not perform basic math like addition and subtraction without a calculator, to another who had no geography skills (unable to find Minnesota on a US map, no idea how to determine how far Atlanta was from Boston, etc). Millennials aren't stupid, nor are they incompetent. And some issues are simply a matter of lack of experience. Just entering the workforce, they haven't developed workforce skills. But some gaps are much more problematic. For instance, after providing the employee whose math skills were lacking with a calculator, explaining that the numbers on two different forms are related and must match, was something the employee could not grasp, and eventually had to be fired because he couldn't perform the job.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
I am working with an Asian family to find them a house. The kids, 5 and 8, attend public schools. The entire time we spent looking at homes, mom drilled the kids on math problems, each more challenging than the last. The kids were expected to solve without a device and they did. It culimated with decimals. The 5 year old was struggling. The world stopped while this Tiger Mom explained. Again, these kids are 5 and 8 and attend a public school. They seemed to enjoy pleasing their mom with their skills.

While many here prefer to blame the schools, others take responsibility and make 24/7 education a priority. The school these kids land in, will benefit from their scores to help offset the kids who are parked in front of Honey Boo- Boo , during their down time.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Actually, your conclusion is faulty. Since worker productivity is a measure of all workers, but Millennials make up only a portion of workers, you cannot correllate Millennials' competency to worker productivity. Personally, I've worked alongside many Millennials. They all had issues in terms of literacy and numeracy. The gaps varied, from someone who could not perform basic math like addition and subtraction without a calculator, to another who had no geography skills (unable to find Minnesota on a US map, no idea how to determine how far Atlanta was from Boston, etc). Millennials aren't stupid, nor are they incompetent. And some issues are simply a matter of lack of experience. Just entering the workforce, they haven't developed workforce skills. But some gaps are much more problematic. For instance, after providing the employee whose math skills were lacking with a calculator, explaining that the numbers on two different forms are related and must match, was something the employee could not grasp, and eventually had to be fired because he couldn't perform the job.
Meh-personal anecdotes are meaningless; I have a few as well.

Compared to my co-workers who are older than me I know computers/technology better, respond to e-mails/phone calls quicker, complete tasks assigned faster, am more literate writing e-mails/comments on our computer system, get along with co-workers and clients more consistently, take less time off. Co-workers often blame old age on mistakes and tasks are re-assigned from these co-workers to younger ones with a roll of the eyes. I have also always been very good at math, but will concede that it seems younger generations rely too much on technology for basic math. The common core taught for math in schools today is also a disgrace.

But, my personal anecdotes seem to gel more with reality. A company today would much rather hire a millenial than a boomer, who often have trouble finding work in this economy. Many are being pushed out of long time positions as well, so what you are implying is simply not the case.

Of course there are incompetent people in every generation, so it is easy to state examples.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yes, but you are drawing a conclusion that this is effecting the competency of workers, which is obviously not the case when corporate profits and worker productivity are at record levels.

Corporations only care about having access to our consumer market, but as new consumers arise around the globe the less they need Americans, which is why nothing is being done about diminishing wealth, loss of jobs/whole industries and buying power in this country.

Of the 100 largest economies in the World today, there are now more nationless corporations than entire nations of people. This has never happened before, where our economy/way of life is dictated by private interests and our nation essentially is no longer sovereign.

They've sucked us dry and are moving on.
GE has about 310,000 employees, half of which are employed in the US. 60% of sales are outside the U.S. For example, 85% of US made aviation engines are exported overseas.

How many well paying full time US jobs are dependent upon continued offshore sales and export?

Sorry you don't see the value of multinational corporations expanding their global footprint and US work force to meet the growing needs of emerging economies.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Your lovely 88 year old gramma has been sucking up Medicare benefits for 22 years and she did not pay anywhere near what she's receiving.
Most 88 year old grandmas likely are benefitting from their husband's Medicare tax which he did not start paying till he was 39 years old, assuming he and his wife were the same age.

Grandpa likely paid Medicare tax for 15 years and he and grandma have thus far benefitted for 22 years.

Grandma came from a generation where many women able to attend college did so for a Mrs Degree. They were the last generation of mostly full time homemakers without earned income in their own right.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
GE has about 310,000 employees, half of which are employed in the US. 60% of sales are outside the U.S. For example, 85% of US made aviation engines are exported overseas.

How many well paying full time US jobs are dependent upon continued offshore sales and export?

Sorry you don't see the value of multinational corporations expanding their global footprint and US work force to meet the growing needs of emerging economies.

Well, when nationless corporations take every chance possible to fire American employees, move production/business out of our country, cheat and lie to consumers, cheat and bribe our Government, etc. I find it hard to believe that you DO see the value in having our economy and now even our Government be completely controlled by such piranhas that could not care any less if our country imploded. Why would you ever want a country to be controlled by foreign interests?

The only saving grace today is that America still has the largest consumer group on the planet, but the policies being implemented are ensuring that that will not be the case in the future, and as long as these pirate corporations have other markets to sell their slave products to, they could not care any less about what happens to this country. They are actually finding easier and more profitable markets to do business in everyday.

It's all about finding the country which will allow the cheapest labor (often by overthrowing an elected Government and installing an agreeable Dictator) while still having access to the largest consumer group on the planet.

Any supposed benefit to the masses is just propaganda. We have whole groups of Americans that consistently vote against their own interest, and do so with vindication-that is no coincidence.

The corporations that occupy Congress

The 147 Companies That Control Everything - Forbes

The Four Companies That Control the 147 Companies That Own Everything - Forbes

These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America - Business Insider

Which Corporations Control the World? - International Business Degree Guide

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-16-2015 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies