Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical question. Would the world be better off if Nuclear weapons were never created? I know if we didn't create the first nuclear weapon someone else would have. But lets assume they were never created by anyone. The one big scenario that comes to mind if this was the case is extending World War 2 because we would have never nuked Japan. Is it worth having nuclear weapons in the world because they helped end the last world war? Just so we stay focused on nuclear weapons and not get side tracked and start talking about nuclear power lets just assume the world still created the ability to use nuclear power.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
The world is a better place since we have has nuclear weapons.

Answer may change based on future events.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
I commented in the thread about Iran & the bomb that nukes are an excellent deterrent factor, and using the argument that "an armed society is a polite society" every country should have them.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
it wasnt just the end of world war two that is the reason for nuclear weapons, understand that every war since has been a limited conflict in scope. chances are that if no nuclear weapons existed, we would have fought world war three at some point in time, probably during the vietnam war.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
I commented in the thread about Iran & the bomb that nukes are an excellent deterrent factor, and using the argument that "an armed society is a polite society" every country should have them.
EVERY country? Even the countries that are bat-**** crazy? I don't really think peaceful countries having nuclear weapons is a huge issue but that isn't the case. When something as powerful as a nuclear weapon exists everyone wants one, and everyone will get one if they want it bad enough. Which brings back the main question. Is it worth having nuclear weapons in the world knowing that there are crazy people out there who will get their hands on them and want to use them? Or would the world be better off if they were never created?

Old 03-16-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it wasnt just the end of world war two that is the reason for nuclear weapons, understand that every war since has been a limited conflict in scope. chances are that if no nuclear weapons existed, we would have fought world war three at some point in time, probably during the vietnam war.
Maybe. I don't really feel super comfortable though knowing that if a particular weapon got into the wrong hands it could bring about nuclear war. People may say no one is stupid enough to start a nuclear war but then I would say to that I bet you would be surprised.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
EVERY country? Even the countries that are bat-**** crazy? I don't really think peaceful countries having nuclear weapons is a huge issue but that isn't the case. When something as powerful as a nuclear weapon exists everyone wants one, and everyone will get one if they want it bad enough. Which brings back the main question. Is it worth having nuclear weapons in the world knowing that there are crazy people out there who will get their hands on them and want to use them? Or would the world be better off if they were never created?
If the concept that "an armed society is a polite society" holds water then yes - every country, as I stated. I'm unaware of any "peaceful" country with nukes today that doesn't have a history of war; therefore the very argument that they're somehow "peaceful" is just as shaky as the aforementioned concept.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:21 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Hypothetical question. Would the world be better off if Nuclear weapons were never created? I know if we didn't create the first nuclear weapon someone else would have. But lets assume they were never created by anyone. The one big scenario that comes to mind if this was the case is extending World War 2 because we would have never nuked Japan. Is it worth having nuclear weapons in the world because they helped end the last world war? Just so we stay focused on nuclear weapons and not get side tracked and start talking about nuclear power lets just assume the world still created the ability to use nuclear power.
1. Nuclear weapons did not end ww2. That was more the Russian army wiping out the Japanese in Manchuria. Nukes role in WW2 is more hype than anything. We could have firebombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki and done as much damage.

2. They prevented WW3 in europe and still do to this day. Europe 70 years without a major war, that speaks volumes.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:31 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
I'm going to say yes.

Maybe in a world of relatively stable nation states they act as a deterrent, however the problem is that relatively stable nation states don't always remain that way, and when that happens it's only a matter of time before someone uses one in a non-deterrent fashion.

I can't really say whether WWIII would have happened without nukes or not because I'm not sure if people really understood what it would have meant until later. I'm pretty sure that the lingering effects of WWII were at least a kind of deterrent.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Maybe. I don't really feel super comfortable though knowing that if a particular weapon got into the wrong hands it could bring about nuclear war. People may say no one is stupid enough to start a nuclear war but then I would say to that I bet you would be surprised.
i recognize that there are countries that would start a nuclear war. mostly unstable countries like iran whose governments want to see the twelfth imam arise in the midst of the chaos. and it wouldnt surprise me if pakistan and india went to war, and one of them popped a nuke to prevent being over run by the other.

but most countries have seen what a small nuke can do, and recognize that the much large yield weapons of today can do far worse. and they dont want to unleash the mutually assured destruction protocols that have been in place since the 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies