Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:51 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
No one that has ever supported slavery could be considered a libertarian in any meaning of the word that I am aware of.
And yet LOTS of Libertarians openly sympathize with Southern slaveowners.

Libertarians are also roughly 95% white male. Coincidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:51 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
In America the government is your peer - it is always peering at you.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
There has never been a Libertarian nation for the same reason there has never been a Communist one( China, Russian etc are not really communist), it won't work.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:14 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
And yet LOTS of Libertarians openly sympathize with Southern slaveowners.

Libertarians are also roughly 95% white male. Coincidence?
I would not consider anyone who sympathizes with southern slaveholders a libertarian. And if they call themselves "libertarians" they should find a different name. "Free market racists" maybe but not "libertarians". By the way, there are people on the left who apart from economics could be considered libertarians. Well known jazz critic Nat Hentoff and comedian Bill Maher are a couple of examples. There is more to being a libertarian than believing in completely unregulated markets. Number one is individual freedom.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
I would not consider anyone who sympathizes with southern slaveholders a libertarian. And if they call themselves "libertarians" they should find a different name. "Free market racists" maybe but not "libertarians". By the way, there are people on the left who apart from economics could be considered libertarians. Well known jazz critic Nat Hentoff and comedian Bill Maher are a couple of examples. There is more to being a libertarian than believing in completely unregulated markets. Number one is individual freedom.
Please don't feed the race-baiters.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
When I take political quizzes, my test results are usually 'left-libertarian". And that makes sense since I'm a former Libertarian who moved left when I could no longer support the rigid ideology and thinly veiled racism of the movement.

If Libertarians were to drop the subtle racism and wealth-worship at the expense of ordinary people, I MIGHT reconsider them. But as it is- once you get past the rhetoric and posturing- Libertarians mainly fight for upward wealth redistribution and the right of the powerful to take advantage of the less powerful. That's it. Those are their priorities. I don't see how that appeals to anybody except the hateful and the billionaires. And of course the hateful billionaires.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:42 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
When I take political quizzes, my test results are usually 'left-libertarian". And that makes sense since I'm a former Libertarian who moved left when I could no longer support the rigid ideology and thinly veiled racism of the movement.

If Libertarians were to drop the subtle racism and wealth-worship at the expense of ordinary people, I MIGHT reconsider them. But as it is- once you get past the rhetoric and posturing- Libertarians mainly fight for upward wealth redistribution and the right of the powerful to take advantage of the less powerful. That's it. Those are their priorities. I don't see how that appeals to anybody except the hateful and the billionaires. And of course the hateful billionaires.
Explain the racism accusation of libertarian? That's one of the more bizarre straw men I've seen, and I'd like a more complete examination of that particular charge.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:

What are you talking about?

The Libertarian Party endorses completely open borders- no fences, no visas, nothing.

That would attact billions of the black and brown.

Hardly the desires of racist party.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Explain the racism accusation of libertarian? That's one of the more bizarre straw men I've seen, and I'd like a more complete examination of that particular charge.

Seriously? You're not aware of the fact that a huge chunk of Libertarians- including those on this site- are neoconfederates arguing in support of the slave-owning South? And themselves threatening secession movements? Arguing that people should be free to discriminate? Opposing the Civil Rights Act and even the 17th Amendment?

If you're somehow unaware of these... well then I don't think I can help you. Try Google.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Libertarians think that liberty is for all rational sentient beings.

Conservatives believe that black people are not rationally sentient beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies