Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Totally agree. I have the same issue where certain minerals are too high in my ground water and purchasing a full house filtration system plus the materials needed monthly far exceeds the $4 for each case of 24 bottles of drinking water.
Depending on where you buy it, you can get it a lot cheaper than that, too. I usually pay about $3.50, and in summer, it's usually on sale (at our local IGA store) for under $3.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most of my zip is on private well and septic. I live within the village and it's treated water from a public well. I don't care for it and buy water for drinking purposes.

If I lived in the adjacent town, just south of me I would have Lake Michigan water which is delicious.
Oh, no! They're draining the lake! (being facetious).

Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
The tap water where I am now tastes horrible and has excessive levels of trihalomethanes. You don't really want to drink it here.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
I have a reverse osmosis filter I use for drinking water in my home.

Some bottled water tastes ok, but most companies still add industrial waste fluoride and if you don't drink right away toxins from the plastic bottle can dissolve into the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
For around $120 you can get a 3 stage reverse-osmosis, under-sink system. Change the filters out once a year or so depending on your water quality, and the ro membrane maybe once every 3 yrs. You can even use a faucet adapter if you live in an apartment and can't tap into the water line. Easy, cheap, and it works on even the worst water. It takes our TDS 800+ ppm to below 20 ppm, ie virtually pure. Yet people will still blow big $$$$ on bottle water.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
North Texas isn't known for having the best-tasting tap water, but I drink it and it tastes fine to me. I use a Brita pitcher to filter water for my coffee maker and I do drink filtered (not bottled) water when there are algal blooms that make the water smell funny.

Bottled water is ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:04 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
You said Tap water is "FREE" ??? Why do I keep paying that quarterly water bill ? Are you saying I don't need to? WOW thanks.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The following is the latest in a new series of articles on AlterNet called Fear in America that launched this March. Read the introduction to the series.

The biggest con job perpetrated on the consumer is not some shady operation selling bogus cures through TV infomercials. America’s biggest snake-oil salesman is actually the beverage industry, or Big Bev, which resells the simplest and most vital product for thousands of times its value. That product is drinking water.

Bottled water is a scam: PepsiCo, Coca-Cola and the beverage industry’s greatest con - Salon.com
Guess how long it's been since I've bought a bottle of water?

Probably be guessing for awhile because I don't remember. It's been years.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The following is the latest in a new series of articles on AlterNet called Fear in America that launched this March. Read the introduction to the series.

The biggest con job perpetrated on the consumer is not some shady operation selling bogus cures through TV infomercials. America’s biggest snake-oil salesman is actually the beverage industry, or Big Bev, which resells the simplest and most vital product for thousands of times its value. That product is drinking water.

Bottled water is a scam: PepsiCo, Coca-Cola and the beverage industry’s greatest con - Salon.com

You people are just now figuring that out?

04-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Pavlov.

You know, ring the bell and the dog salivates, right?

Well, this is just Pavlovian conditioning to get people accustomed to purchasing water from a corporation.

Why? Because the corporations have gained control of water rights in many other countries, but they're having a difficult time in the US.
Even the kids wearing football helmets on the short bus got it figured it out.

Some are just slow...

Mircea

Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I can go to Costco and pick up a 40 pack of 16.9 oz Kirkland Signature waters for $3.99. The municipal water here in Indianapolis doesn't taste very good. I'll cook with it, etc, but don't like to drink it. I can get by on two of those cases of water a month, and I also have the convenience of being able to take it with me. Is it expensive? Yes, but it's relatively expense given that the cost is overall negligible. It's not expensive absolutely.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I can remember the beginnings of bottles water in England........ all drinking water came from the tap when I was a kid. Then, about 35 years ago, I saw my first billboard ad for bottled water. It was for the French brand 'Perrier'. "Nice green bottle" I thought to myself, and laughed. The idea of bottled water for sale, when it came free from a tap seemed ridiculous to me.
Well, shows you what I know. They DID manage to sell something that comes free from a tap. Go down the water aisles in supermarkets........ lots of different brands of bottled water. Water from the tap here in England, is pure, and perfectly drinkable, but these companies with their campaigns have managed to convince folks their product is better. Ads showing mountain springs, and such......... just shows you. Ice can be sold to Eskimos........
Sounds like my Los Angeles experience were I grew up drinking from a garden hose then came the Gulf War and the USAF flying bottles of water to Saudi Arabia. Now to get the individual serving sized bottles which governments are trying to ban the water budget is as high as the gasoline budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies