Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:53 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times

Advertisements

First of all, from my experience liberals are not happier than conservatives. I have a lot of both liberal and conservative friends and I've noticed a couple of things that interest me...

1. My liberal friends tend to complain more. With them, there is always some outside "force" preventing them from being happy, successful, content, etc... I can't help but think of a friend of mine who has a BA, a MA, a JD and a PhD, who is constantly telling me how hard it is to get ahead in America today. He's 30 and his wife has a BA and JD as well. I'm going with they are already ahead. But he's very liberal, convinced that life is unfair and that there is very little opportunity for people who weren't born wealthy. For some inexplicable reason he is unable to monetize his educational success. I truly believe it's his mindset, but that's just my opinion.

2. My conservative friends tend to just take ownership for their situations and accept that it's up to them to determine whether or not they will be happy, successful, content, etc... On this side of the fence, I have a friend who only has a BS and has gone on to become a VP in the largest real estate brokerage company in the World. He lost a fortune on a real estate deal when the recession hit in 2007, but it didn't slow him down. He bounced right back and is now killing it. He's in his 50's and just charges forward every single day of his life. I also believe it's his mindset, but again, that's just my opinion.

I talk to both these guys all the time. They are both extremely intelligent, and in my opinion each are successful in their own right. But I can assure you that my real estate buddy is a lot happier than my professor buddy. I point out these guys by way of example, but in fact I know many, many people who fall into these categories. And almost to the person, my conservative friends are happier than my liberal friends. I personally lean a little left on most social issues and probably a little more center right on most fiscal issues. The fact that my conservative friends are almost always happier than my liberal friends bugged me, so I started doing a little research on this topic and here is what I found:

Most studies show conservatives are generally happier:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/op...-all.html?_r=0

The best of both World's is to be a conservative living in a liberal country:

The Surprising Reason Conservatives Are Happier Than Liberals

Any other articles, or more importantly scientific studies, that you guys can point out would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Spot; 03-21-2015 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
You're generalizing from only two friends of yours.

A casual cruise of the threads and posts in this POC forum could yield a better sample of political happiness. The amount of daily Obama-bashing threads alone would lead to a different conclusion.

Carry on.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,337 times
"that conservatives are more likely to rationalize inequality".

I really think that conservatives have an ability to rationalize better than liberals.

"conservatives are more likely to be married and to identify as religious"

Maybe believing in an afterlife is a factor as well.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 AM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
I think liberals are happier under Obama, as now they don't have to complain about Bush policies, because Obama is the one enacting those Bush policies. Also, Obama's scandals target other people, so it is easier for them to push aside these scandals as phony - Fast and Furious is killing mostly Mexicans - so the typical Obama supporter says not my problem.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 AM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
"that conservatives are more likely to rationalize inequality".

I really think that conservatives have an ability to rationalize better than liberals.

"conservatives are more likely to be married and to identify as religious"

Maybe believing in an afterlife is a factor as well.
There are surveys and studies where conservatives are more likely to take ownership of their mistakes and problems. Whereas liberals are more likely to see themselves as a victim and blame their mistakes and problems on others.

It is probably happier to be the captain of your own ship instead of a helpless victim.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
First of all, from my experience liberals are not happier than conservatives. I have a lot of both liberal and conservative friends and I've noticed a couple of things that interest me...

1. My liberal friends tend to complain more. With them, there is always some outside "force" preventing them from being happy, successful, content, etc... I can't help but think of a friend of mine who has a BA, a MA, a JD and a PhD, who is constantly telling me how hard it is to get ahead in America today. He's 30 and his wife has a BA and JD as well. I'm going with they are already ahead. But he's very liberal, convinced that life is unfair and that there is very little opportunity for people who weren't born wealthy. For some inexplicable reason he is unable to monetize his educational success. I truly believe it's his mindset, but that's just my opinion.

2. My conservative friends tend to just take ownership for their situations and accept that it's up to them to determine whether or not they will be happy, successful, content, etc... On this side of the fence, I have a friend who only has a BS and has gone on to become a VP in the largest real estate brokerage company in the World. He lost a fortune on a real estate deal when the recession hit in 2007, but it didn't slow him down. He bounced right back and is now killing it. He's in his 50's and just charges forward every single day of his life. I also believe it's his mindset, but again, that's just my opinion.

I talk to both these guys all the time. They are both extremely intelligent, and in my opinion each are successful in their own right. But I can assure you that my real estate buddy is a lot happier than my professor buddy. I point out these guys by way of example, but in fact I know many, many people who fall into these categories. And almost to the person, my conservative friends are happier than my liberal friends. I personally lean a little left on most social issues and probably a little more center right on most fiscal issues. The fact that my conservative friends are almost always happier than my liberal friends bugged me, so I started doing a little research on this topic and here is what I found:

Most studies show conservatives are generally happier:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/op...-all.html?_r=0

The best of both World's is to be a conservative living in a liberal country:

The Surprising Reason Conservatives Are Happier Than Liberals

Any other articles, or more importantly scientific studies, that you guys can point out would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Your subject title states the opposite and I was going to agree with it. Lol. I think of conservatives as grouchy people.

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Your title says that liberals are happier.... post content says conservatives are happier.

Liberals are more emotional , conservatives are more logical.... simple answer. Liberals always see some worldly 'plight' that need to be taken care of... perhaps liberals are more selfless in this regard where as conservatives just want to live their lives and be successful.. more selfish.

There's nothing wrong with that.. it is what it is. Be honest about it. As long as said liberal doesn't pass some legislation banning this, or banning that, 'for my own good' they can live their lives as they wish.

Both have the capacity to be happy or miserable. Your thoughts ultimately create your reality, combined with random events and good/bad DNA makeup and upbringing, etc. Luck of the draw... if you are lucky enough to be well socialized, well adjusted, and happy as a kid those traits will usually maintain themselves into adulthood...

I find women are typically less happy than males... they are also more emotional and less secure of themselves... it's that insecurity that is the main drive of their unhappiness... a man is more likely to be happy just being himself.. women are more likely to need gratification from others and be competitive with other women, whereas men are more likely to not give a crap about sizing up/competing with other men (again a generalization here)

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahah!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Your subject title states the opposite and I was going to agree with it. Lol. I think of conservatives as grouchy people.
I put the opposite in the subject line for a reason. People tend to believe that liberals are happier, more accepting of their circumstance, and friendlier, etc... But in fact that's not true. It turns out that conservatives are happier. Why is that?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahah!
Thanks for the useful articles that explain why it's fact that conservatives are happier. Your input is greatly appreciated as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies