Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

someone wrote, that R is the lessor of two evils, I don't agree any longer, used to, yes, they do some things different, but I refuse to vote for Jebb Bush.....he won't change anything...and to settle is ludicrist....
I believe we've been going downhill for many years, and they have us right where they want us, therefore, I either won't vote, or I'll vote for an independent, but another Bush, no thank you.....

The lessor of two evils, how in the world can you settle like that, and that is exactly what they hope everyone will do, Obama isn't that popular, so we're going to vote another Bush in, he is just as corrupt as the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I used to be republican... but I can no longer vote for most of them either... I just do not support their version of the nanny state where nobody smokes, drinks, and lives like it's the 1950's.. along with tax breaks for the rich, a strong dollar, and continued outsourcing. Neither side is very appealing... but in some ways democrats are more appealing... republicans have have been dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age on many social issues and as a social libertarian social issues are important to me... social freedom, tolerance, social rights.. the democrats aren't that much better though... they are nanny state to the core. Better to have gridlock at the federal level where neither side can get too much power to implement their craziness.

Thankfully the democrats haven't gotten our guns like I thought they would have by now 15 years ago when looking forward. Now I don't see them getting them 15 years from now in 2030, but watch they'll end up getting them after all.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:16 AM

Here's is another fear.....most young people in College and lets say nearing their 40's do not know or remember how it used to be like us older folks, so they are unable to see how corrupt it's all become...

and they won't listen to the older folks, I know I didn't.....

I fear they are the ones who are loyal to this corrupt two party system

Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think, outside of the obviously corrupt election finance system, Washington suffers more from the Peter Principal (beaurocrats are always promoted to their level of incompetence) and the resulting paralysis than any rampant corruption. If you stay on a bureaucracy long enough you will eventually not know how to do your job but not realize it as well. Thus the job that was the reason for the bureaucracy is eventually not being done.

The Federal Agricultural Department is a good example. It was set up to help the small freehold farmer make a decent living through better education and specific subsidies. It has morphed into a system that drives small farms out of business and a welfare system for huge environmentally destructive agricultural systems that make huge profits for the fertilized, pest control, machinery and financial parasites profiting off the Federal Money.

The other bureaucracy that has lost its original goal of defending us from foreign invasion is the Defense Department. It is less concerned with defending the US than it is with defending its soppliers and political power. The DOD is now a cornerstone of our economy and will likely continue to do so no matter how contrived the reasons for going to War become.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:21 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby
My first sentence did reference the "ignorance" about how it all works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Sorry, but I glossed over most of your post when one realizes the one you are pointing fingers at, government workers that are comprised of the staff assistants, mail mans, teachers and so forth do not write policy.
I guess you just "glossed over" both posts , because both of them were crystal clear that I was talking about the HUGE number of FEDERAL workers ..... not teachers and mailmen.

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think, outside of the obviously corrupt election finance system, Washington suffers more from the Peter Principal (beaurocrats are always promoted to their level of incompetence) and the resulting paralysis than any rampant corruption. If you stay on a bureaucracy long enough you will eventually not know how to do your job but not realize it as well. Thus the job that was the reason for the bureaucracy is eventually not being done.

The Federal Agricultural Department is a good example. It was set up to help the small freehold farmer make a decent living through better education and specific subsidies. It has morphed into a system that drives small farms out of business and a welfare system for huge environmentally destructive agricultural systems that make huge profits for the fertilized, pest control, machinery and financial parasites profiting off the Federal Money.

The other bureaucracy that has lost its original goal of defending us from foreign invasion is the Defense Department. It is less concerned with defending the US than it is with defending its soppliers and political power. The DOD is now a cornerstone of our economy and will likely continue to do so no matter how contrived the reasons for going to War become.
makes a lot of sense, and something I've also been thinking about, but didn't know how to explain it...
before computers, and I don't know if you remember, we were much more accurate in our jobs....plus, there were specialized people who over saw not only where our tax money went, but also, how it was spent, and there was accountability....that no longer exists and also, why our systems are corroding....

Old 03-21-2015, 08:38 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
The only way to reduce the corruption is to take away their taxing power. If they can't tax, they can only spend for a short amount of time.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I'm not voting either side, this election....I'm done....the same bull goes on all the time
If Obama has his way, you won't be allowed to not vote.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If Obama has his way, you won't be allowed to not vote.
well, if that comes into fruition, then I'll vote for anyone other then the two party systems, b/c they are not working....

Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What's sad is that some go into politics thinking they can really make a change. But they quickly get caught up in the lobbyists and what they can do for them. All politicians are bought and they don't give a damn about us. I wish there was something we could do about this.
what about the independents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies