Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
There are things other than the Constitution that people live by. One of them is manners. No matter how you cut it, racial slurs are in poor taste. And there isn't truly freedom of speech. If people said what they wanted to say, all of the time in society, there would be mayhem. Some things are better left unsaid. People have the right to engage in speech like that with like minded people. People can't say what they want to say all of the time. They CAN, but they'll face consequences for doing so.
What consequences? To be beaten senseless for expressing their (albeit politically incorrect, possibly ignorant) opinion? Is that really the country you want to live in?

And last I checked, the Constitution was the supreme law of the land, not manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
What consequences? To be beaten senseless for expressing their (albeit politically incorrect, possibly ignorant) opinion? Is that really the country you want to live in?

And last I checked, the Constitution was the supreme law of the land, not manners.
if that was true, we wouldn't be paying income taxes right now.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Haha, good point. However, that doesn't mean we have to give up on all of it just yet.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Well damn if you are not correct. Many like to hide behind the freedom of speech deal. I agree with freedom of speech. But more than that I believe in consequences for your actions.
For example if I walked up to a very large football player looking guy and began insulting his wife. Using vulgar terms, and insinuating that she is most likely a woman of ill repute. I would expect to get a ride in an ambulance to a hospital...
Soooo Regardless of my opinion of the individuals wife. I keep my opinions to myself. Not because I fear a beating. But because I understand that I would deserve the beating in the first place.
I have practiced Karate since I was 18 years old. I have no love of violence and try to avoid it at all costs. I draw the line at my family. I will not allow them to be abused mentally or physically.
I make it a point to watch my language around women and children or in general most all the time. I make it a point not to intentionally slander others or make insulting statements. Its called having a little class or good manners.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well damn if you are not correct. Many like to hide behind the freedom of speech deal. I agree with freedom of speech. But more than that I believe in consequences for your actions.
For example if I walked up to a very large football player looking guy and began insulting his wife. Using vulgar terms, and insinuating that she is most likely a woman of ill repute. I would expect to get a ride in an ambulance to a hospital...
Soooo Regardless of my opinion of the individuals wife. I keep my opinions to myself. Not because I fear a beating. But because I understand that I would deserve the beating in the first place.
I have practiced Karate since I was 18 years old. I have no love of violence and try to avoid it at all costs. I draw the line at my family. I will not allow them to be abused mentally or physically.
I make it a point to watch my language around women and children or in general most all the time. I make it a point not to intentionally slander others or make insulting statements. Its called having a little class or good manners.
Was it rude? Sure. Was it deserving of a beating? Are you serious? We can justify physically harming someone for expressing opinions?

Damn..we are further down the road to ruin than I thought...

Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
I think I need to clear up a few points that may not have been obvious from my original post:

1. I didn't START with a promise of violence, that came after several, increasingly pointed REQUESTS that he stop the boorish behavior. I started by ASKING that he stop.

2. The promise of violence came after several minutes of his trying to justify, excuse, and make clear his preference for his actions.

3. I didn't SPECIFICALLY threaten him, he said; "how about if I talk the way I like and you don't listen?" My response was; "I have a better idea, you keep talking that way and I'll beat you senseless." Maybe not the exact words but anyone who knows me that I have a great talent for recall of details.

BTW, later when the subject came up from some others in the larger group, no one was suprised by his actions. Apparently he is a member of one of the "border watch" groups and has expressed views that led this other party to express a complete lack of suprise at this behavior.

Most of my close friends who were attending this out of town event were shocked, as they know me as a generally calm and caring person. Althought one or two expressed the opinion that I always struck them as someone who "anyone would want as a friend, and no one would want as an enemy".

Interesting that there is such a range of opinions. I guess I'm not suprised that even on this forum people still think it's OK to talk this way.

golfgod

Old 01-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I think I need to clear up a few points that may not have been obvious from my original post:

1. I didn't START with a promise of violence, that came after several, increasingly pointed REQUESTS that he stop the boorish behavior. I started by ASKING that he stop.

2. The promise of violence came after several minutes of his trying to justify, excuse, and make clear his preference for his actions.

3. I didn't SPECIFICALLY threaten him, he said; "how about if I talk the way I like and you don't listen?" My response was; "I have a better idea, you keep talking that way and I'll beat you senseless." Maybe not the exact words but anyone who knows me that I have a great talent for recall of details.

BTW, later when the subject came up from some others in the larger group, no one was suprised by his actions. Apparently he is a member of one of the "border watch" groups and has expressed views that led this other party to express a complete lack of suprise at this behavior.

Most of my close friends who were attending this out of town event were shocked, as they know me as a generally calm and caring person. Althought one or two expressed the opinion that I always struck them as someone who "anyone would want as a friend, and no one would want as an enemy".

Interesting that there is such a range of opinions. I guess I'm not suprised that even on this forum people still think it's OK to talk this way.

golfgod
Ah, well, he was a member of a "border watch group" and he used racial slurs. Enough said...let's string the bastard up.

And yeah, I understand...you didn't threaten him with violence...you just said you'd beat him senseless.

Ok, you've cleared it all up...you handled it perfectly fine. Sorry to have questioned you.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Was it rude? Sure. Was it deserving of a beating? Are you serious? We can justify physically harming someone for expressing opinions?

Damn..we are further down the road to ruin than I thought...
Some times words are worse than a beating.
Group humiliation for example. When the outcast is made fun of for the amusement of others.
Born with a cleft of the pallot and lip I experienced a great deal of such abuse by my peers. I promise you I would have rather taken a beating than endured that harrassment. Pain is temperary and pride is forever. Its easy to look down at your toes and pretend not to hear it. But you did, and it will echo in your ears for some time. The group will say oh but it was all in fun. For some maybe it was, but for many it was meant to be what it was, mean.
My wife is thai she stands 5 feet tall. She is a true lady. I have never heard a foul word, or a word of hate come from her mouth. As the only asian at that party there could be no doubt who the words were aimed at. There was no doubt what the purpose was.
Yes we could have left without a word, or retaliation. But then the ignorant redneck would have kept his pride, would have owned the moment. I chose not to allow him that reward. I fully accepted that potentially he could sue me, have me arrested or what ever other hardship could be imposed. I can live with the above. What I could never live with is allowing my wife to be abused as I was in my youth. Thats called love.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I guess I'm not suprised that even on this forum people still think it's OK to talk this way.
I read through the entire thread and didn't see a single post that suggested what he said was OK.

I don't see what difference it makes that you didn't start with the "premise of violence." I think people lose credibility when they make comments like you did. Even a simple, "Fine, I'm not going to listen to whatever bigoted things you say because I think you're ignorant and a moron" would've gotten your point across, IMO.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some times words are worse than a beating.
Group humiliation for example. When the outcast is made fun of for the amusement of others.
Born with a cleft of the pallot and lip I experienced a great deal of such abuse by my peers. I promise you I would have rather taken a beating than endured that harrassment. Pain is temperary and pride is forever. Its easy to look down at your toes and pretend not to hear it. But you did, and it will echo in your ears for some time. The group will say oh but it was all in fun. For some maybe it was, but for many it was meant to be what it was, mean.
My wife is thai she stands 5 feet tall. She is a true lady. I have never heard a foul word, or a word of hate come from her mouth. As the only asian at that party there could be no doubt who the words were aimed at. There was no doubt what the purpose was.
Yes we could have left without a word, or retaliation. But then the ignorant redneck would have kept his pride, would have owned the moment. I chose not to allow him that reward. I fully accepted that potentially he could sue me, have me arrested or what ever other hardship could be imposed. I can live with the above. What I could never live with is allowing my wife to be abused as I was in my youth. Thats called love.
Oh no...he would have "owned the moment"? God forbid. So he would have gone back to his friends and say "hey, I really showed them"...and you'd have gone home with your wonderful wife and...well, then what? You would have dwelled on it for the rest of your life, wishing that you could have taught that guy a lesson?

Wow...that's pretty pathetic.

Ya know, one of these days, you're going to try to teach someone a lesson for the heinous crime of sending offensive vibrations through the air...and you're going to get your clock cleaned. Then I guess you'll still have your pride to keep you comfort in ICU...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies