Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I have no idea if the OP will agree with my sentiment, but I'll answer this despite not being directed at me.

Taxation in and of itself is not necessarily completely unjustified. The founding fathers waged war against England for it's unjust taxation, but even they knew that taxes were how a government would remain funded. But the issue isn't necessarily the taxes themselves but how they are used or how extensive they are. Many taxes seem excessive and many government actions necessary.

But picking the better of the two options doesn't mean the option you chose was good. I'd rather be punched in the face than kicked in the face, but that doesn't mean I should be expected to enjoy the punch simply because the alternative was worse.

I don't agree with the OPs view on anarchy. It sounds nice, but unfortunately, organization is inevitable. I'd rather have a say in what that organization is that get rid of one entirely and just see what happens. But government now works from the top down. This is a dangerous gamble. Government should be a bottom-up system. The people have far more freedoms that way.
I agree with you on some things, but see my previous post if you want a better idea of my views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
So paying taxes is now the same as slavery....yeah, I am not buying that. How exactly are we suppose to do things like pave roads and have a military for defense?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So paying taxes is now the same as slavery....yeah, I am not buying that. How exactly are we suppose to do things like pave roads and have a military for defense?
I told myself I'd stay on topic, so I won't go into the practical solutions. As I said in my last post or two, you may say it's a necessary evil (and I'd disagree), but my goal was to get people to at least see the evil in it.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:37 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Well, military is a valid question, but you don't seriously think that government is the only organization that could possibly handle the construction of roads, do you?

Frankly, we don't even need paved roads. Dirt and gravel roads are fine. Yeah, they're loud to drive on and a bit dirty, but they work just as well and require less effort to maintain and produce. That could easily be handled without a government.

As for military... well, let's look at an historical example. Prior to big national governments, things were often run by city-states. They basically payed mercenaries to defend and fight for them. The modern term for that is a PMC. PMCs are often contracted by the federal government. If there were no federal governments and communities simply formed with a collection of people who worked together without having the state require it, they'd likely have people who live among them who defend themselves. How would this work at a multinational level? I don't know. I'd imagine similar to how war like the crusades were fought.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:17 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
TheDusty, I find far more to agree with in your posts than in the OP's. Debate over how much government is inevitable, realistic, and even healthy. Suggesting that people could co-exist through a system of cooperation without any organized structure is naive, it's navel-gazing at best.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
TheDusty, I find far more to agree with in your posts than in the OP's. Debate over how much government is inevitable, realistic, and even healthy. Suggesting that people could co-exist through a system of cooperation without any organized structure is naive, it's navel-gazing at best.
Would you at least say that government is a necessary evil, acknowledging that it is a milder form of slavery, but we need it? That's as far as I'm pushing in this topic.

I do believe people can coexist without a centralized force controlling them, but I'll leave that for another time.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Would you at least say that government is a necessary evil, acknowledging that it is a milder form of slavery, but we need it? That's as far as I'm pushing in this topic.

I do believe people can coexist without a centralized force controlling them, but I'll leave that for another time.
Paying taxes isn't really the same as a centralized force controlling people.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Paying taxes isn't really the same as a centralized force controlling people.
Right, I was talking about government in general...that one person or group has the right to rule other people (which includes taxation). That's why I liken it to slavery.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Right, I was talking about government in general...that one person or group has the right to rule other people (which includes taxation). That's why I liken it to slavery.
Depends on the government, in slavery you are not electing representatives to do the governing. Those that work in government also pay taxes, so this is why I don't buy this analogy that taxation is slavery.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Depends on the government, in slavery you are not electing representatives to do the governing. Those that work in government also pay taxes, so this is why I don't buy this analogy that taxation is slavery.
I always say that voting is just choosing your master. I'd rather be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies