Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

There was a recent case of a Muslim group being denied a Mosque by the good people of a small city, the only thing that got their attention was a lawsuit.
Government discriminating and businesses discriminating are two separate issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 11:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
For some reason Arizona has a large percentage of Republicans when contrasted against the rest of the west. Many California Republicans moved out there it seems...
What we have is a larger percentage of idiotic Republicans in the west...and that's saying a lot because western state Republicans are some pretty dim bulbs. See Idaho and Wyoming to illustrate my point. Lol

Old 03-26-2015, 11:47 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
Private businesses should be allowed the FREEDOM to refuse service to anyone they choose.
We've heard that before.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
More smarter?

If he signs the bill that says a photographer can't be compelled to attend a gay wedding and shoot photos if he has a religious objection seems reasonable. Why should the freedom of the gay couple outweigh his freedom?

From a political standpoint, why is it dumb? All those gays who will abandon the Republican Party? The party stands to lose more people from restricting and not protecting religious freedom.... which I suspect is a big part of the current brouhaha about these kinds of policies. The left would love nothing more than to have religious conservatives form a third party. The Democrat drove out practicing Catholics and Baptists years ago and hope the Republicans do the same.

Any business owner should have the freedom to refuse to serve anyone he doesn't like for whatever reason.

You don't seem to understand history very well. The businesses that excluded blacks were not necessarily doing poorly financially. In many cases they were thriving businesses. The difference was that some businesses (restaurants and hotels) wanted to serve black customers, but could not either through codes or intimidation.

Freedom to exercise your religious beliefs is supposed to protected from government intrusion. It is sad that states are having to explicitly codify that in the face of the federal government to do so.

I think you have it backwards. A federal law can not prohibit something allowed by the Constitution. You need to amend the Constitution to change that.

Further, the federal government can not assume powers not delegated to it.

Yes, the marketplace should be where these disputes are settled.

I don't get why gay couples want to force someone who doesn't want to do business with them to do so.

If I went to engage a baking company to bake my wedding cake and found they didn't want my business because I was marrying Samuel not Susan I wouldn't want them either. I'd move on to a baker who did.

Why is that so hard to figure out?

The market didn't sort things out in the South during Jim Crow because there was not freedom to do so. There were laws against mixings in some cases and intimidation through the Klan in others. One of the reasons I supported federal intervention in the South was for the reason that there was not a free marketplace.
But southerners elected those local governments that implemented and enforced Jim Crow. They didn't want the freedom to NOT discriminate.

So my point still stands. I don't trust the free market to fix it. Not in the United States I don't.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What we have is a larger percentage of idiotic Republicans in the west...and that's saying a lot because western state Republicans are some pretty dim bulbs. See Idaho and Wyoming to illustrate my point. Lol
Liberal speak:

Idiotic Republican = people who believe in freedom.

It was the "idiotic Republican" governor in WY who signed the bill that gave women the right to vote.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:54 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But southerners elected those local governments that implemented and enforced Jim Crow. They didn't want the freedom to NOT discriminate.

So my point still stands. I don't trust the free market to fix it. Not in the United States I don't.
No broad brush there.

You don't believe in freedom period, let alone free markets.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:55 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Government discriminating and businesses discriminating are two separate issues.
True but when government passes laws accepting discrimination it's because it's representative of it's constituency.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
Idiotic Republican = people who believe in freedom

= straw man. BTW saying one believes in "freedom" is an empty statement.

Quote:
It was the "idiotic Republican" governor in WY who signed the bill that gave women the right to vote.
Wow, that's quite a trip back in time.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Man, 3% of the population sure get a lot of attention. Curious thing, that.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Liberal speak:

Idiotic Republican = people who believe in freedom.
Yes, idiotic republican = people who believe in freedom IF it is something they approve of.

For instance, every citizen should be free to patronize any place of business, yet here in this very thread there are idiotic republicans who oppose certain citizens enjoying that freedom.

They are for FREEDOM, but not for women, who, in some states, must endure a look-see into their uterine cavity before they can get medical procedures performed.

Their mantra is "Freedom for me, but not for people I don't like." What a crock!

Freedom, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies