Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,111,637 times

Advertisements

And this is why these topics are always polarized...because people would rather argue the most extremes than anything else. Iaskwhy and 2mares...have fun on your road to nowhere.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM

36,791 posts, read 31,062,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
No, what you are implying is more like well since vapor cigs are still bad for you why not just smoke regular ones? Why be aware of the problems with tobacco at all? And since we can't go back to prohibition why even regulate alcohol now? Why have a drinking age? And driving while under the influence, why bother to think about that?

Again, some of us are trying to be conscientious of what is going on with producing animal products because it is in OUR best interest to do so. I like knowing that my food, including meat, was processed in a way that is good for the animal because it is also good for me.

And BTW, you can eat whatever the heck you want as far as I am concerned. What you put into your body is not my problem.

Please don't put words in my mouth and tell me what I am trying to convey. That is almost as bad as telling me what to eat. No meat eater here is advocating inhumane treatments. If you have read this thread you must have seen post by those who raise their own livestock or buy from local farms. We are all for stopping inhumane practices. We are on the same page there. The difference is some of you calling for making meat consumption illegal as though that is going to make a significant difference in the lives of animals, humans or the environment in the grand scheme of things.

I really didn't expect that you held any concern for my specific diet, as it should be.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
So you are saying it would have just been better to kill off all the slaves? Aren't you a lovely person.

Where in the crap do you get this stuff. I cant stop laughing.

No honey, I'm saying the abolition of slavery did not stop human suffering. It actually created a whole different level of suffering for blacks for a long time. And low and behold we still have forms of slavery such as human trafficking, sweat shops, child labor, etc.

You put the analogy out there. Ending meat production will go about the same way.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM

18,162 posts, read 15,680,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
You just don't get it. You don't live in a bubble, your choices and what you eat affects others. If I owned slaves or practiced cannibalism would that affect you? If it didn't affect you directly, would you still have a problem with it?
I don't think I'm the one who thinks they live in a bubble. You haven't answered ANY of the things I threw back at you. Yet, you claims the high ground and said you had me in a "tight spot". Yea..sure. Your "arguments" , you claim, are based on ethical grounds. I actually conceded those grounds, as to treatment of meat animals. Nobody else has done less, meat eater or not, here. We ALL agree that meat animals should NOT be abused, tortured, mistreated in ANY way. Yet, you insist, the ethics lie in simple consumption of meat, which , by your logic, condones abuse and mistreatment of animals, raised for food. Sheesh! I'm willing to bet, as I said earlier and it wasn't answered, that you are "pro choice" and support Roe v Wade, ( and I do too..BTW) and also support , at least, decriminalization of certain "drugs". See the contradiction here? Or , do you need a logic class from a Vulcan teacher?

I am an omnivore. I WILL survive. I, also, LIKE meat. I'm , maybe, not so far removed, from my primal roots, as your , "enlightened", highness. (Bows in Mock reverance) You and I have gone round and round before Mon Ami. I still craft my own arrows , and take wild meat , to supplement what we raise. You are a vegan. Or whatever. You subsist on grazing and browsing. Fine. Whatever keeps you alive. Leave me n mine alone. We are predators as well as browsers. And, that doesn't effect you in the least. But, most rodent species are very sensitive to light, and not fond of open spaces. That's where the likes of cats, hawks, dogs hang out. Ahbb, but in the dark, owls, foxes the same cats, and all manner of other superior animals , hang as well.

Sheesh , Mon Ami, go graze. Nobody's stopping you. Quit trying to stop them that don't agree with you. Practice some of that "tolerance" your breed is, supposedly, famous for. Oh, by all means, pity us in our ignorance. But, also, leave us be. Don't poke the predator, and complain when you get bit.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It depends on where you live.

I think in some cases it was just fine for people to eat other people. (after they where all ready dead)
Yeah, the eating alive stuff that's kind of disturbing. Well unless its TWD.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
And this is why these topics are always polarized...because people would rather argue the most extremes than anything else. Iaskwhy and 2mares...have fun on your road to nowhere.
I have nothing better to do right now.
Arguing with Iaskwhy is practice for talking to my teenagers.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM

And there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that eating meat will ever be illegal. I would say it would be about as successful as prohibition.

So why argue it at all, let alone in a way that actually deters the conversation from the more moderate and beneficial discussion it could have been?

Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have nothing better to do right now.
Arguing with Iaskwhy is practice for talking to my teenagers.
What you chose to do with your own time is also not my problem, however, you are derailing a perfectly good topic for other people. Perhaps you two can make this "practice" a private one?

Old 04-03-2015, 02:21 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I don't think I'm the one who thinks they live in a bubble. You haven't answered ANY of the things I threw back at you. Yet, you claims the high ground and said you had me in a "tight spot". Yea..sure. Your "arguments" , you claim, are based on ethical grounds. I actually conceded those grounds, as to treatment of meat animals. Nobody else has done less, meat eater or not, here. We ALL agree that meat animals should NOT be abused, tortured, mistreated in ANY way. Yet, you insist, the ethics lie in simple consumption of meat, which , by your logic, condones abuse and mistreatment of animals, raised for food. Sheesh! I'm willing to bet, as I said earlier and it wasn't answered, that you are "pro choice" and support Roe v Wade, ( and I do too..BTW) and also support , at least, decriminalization of certain "drugs". See the contradiction here? Or , do you need a logic class from a Vulcan teacher?

I am an omnivore. I WILL survive. I, also, LIKE meat. I'm , maybe, not so far removed, from my primal roots, as your , "enlightened", highness. (Bows in Mock reverance) You and I have gone round and round before Mon Ami. I still craft my own arrows , and take wild meat , to supplement what we raise. You are a vegan. Or whatever. You subsist on grazing and browsing. Fine. Whatever keeps you alive. Leave me n mine alone. We are predators as well as browsers. And, that doesn't effect you in the least. But, most rodent species are very sensitive to light, and not fond of open spaces. That's where the likes of cats, hawks, dogs hang out. Ahbb, but in the dark, owls, foxes the same cats, and all manner of other superior animals , hang as well.

Sheesh , Mon Ami, go graze. Nobody's stopping you. Quit trying to stop them that don't agree with you. Practice some of that "tolerance" your breed is, supposedly, famous for. Oh, by all means, pity us in our ignorance. But, also, leave us be. Don't poke the predator, and complain when you get bit.
I can barely comprehend your drivel. When you eat meat and support the meat industry you are supporting the destruction of the environment in which I and everyone else live. You also support the slaughter of sentient beings which affects me just as much as a someone who murders another person affects me. Once again you do not live in a bubble.

There is no such thing has humane slaughter, just as there is no such thing as humane murder.

I am pro-choice up to the point that a fetus can feel pain or is sentient. I support legalization of all drugs. At the same time drug use should never be an excuse for criminal activity. I'm not sure how this is relevant though.

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 04-03-2015 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 02:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,670,574 times
Quote:
And there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that eating meat will ever be illegal. I would say it would be about as successful as prohibition.

So why argue it at all, let alone in a way that actually deters the conversation from the more moderate and beneficial discussion it could have been?
I actually wouldn't be suprised at all if it became illegal in next few hundred years. Look at how much ethical progress has been made in just the last 200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies