Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

This is a follow up to... Amazon now thinking about testing drones for delivery. RIP 4th amendment

-----------------------------------------

Amazon tests delivery drones at secret Canada site after US frustration

Amazon is testing its drone delivery service at a secret site in Canada, following repeated warnings by the e-commerce giant that it would go outside the US to bypass what it sees as the US federal government’s lethargic approach to the new technology.

The company wants to offer its customers the ability to have packages dropped on their doorstep by flying robots within 30 minutes of ordering goods online. With innovation in the drone sector reaching lightning speeds, Amazon said it was not prepared to curtail its ambitions because of what Misener said was a lack of “impetus” on the US side of the border.

The federal agency recently published its guidelines for commercial use of small drones. The new rules will take at least two years to come into effect, a delay which Amazon finds unacceptable.

The FAA argues that the US has a uniquely difficult job in safeguarding the nation’s skies. It emphasises that it is responsible for the largest, most complex airspace in the world, which, unlike other countries’, is used by a large general aviation fleet.

The FAA has stated bluntly it does not believe that drones can be flown safely under their own autonomous control, and is insisting that humans must keep them within eyesight at all times. That is a deal-breaker for Amazon Prime Air, which could only function if drones were able to fly well beyond visual line of sight.

This story is so juicy and has so many angles to be explored.

1- The prior thread mentions the 4th Amendment issue
2- Heavy regulations slow down business and technology
3- Will this open up the possibility of attacks by people who want to do harm?
4- Will the heavy regulation and slowness of government cause more businesses to leave the country?
5- If this technology proceeds forth, how will jobs be affected? UPS/FedEx would take a big hit.
6- Is this technology safe for people on the ground?

For me, technology is great, but I don't want too much of it. I probably will prefer the old delivery service instead of Prime Air. Wireless home security is great technology and makes things easier. But if I can control my system by wireless means, so can someone else. No thanks.

As far as drones flying around by various companies for various purposes - I don't know. I am still processing all of the angles. I guess I am where the FAA is - still contemplating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies