Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 05:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That you claim to be a conservative Republican doesn't mean beans. For all anyone knows, you could be George Stephanopolous.
Yes, you MUST think a certain way to be a Republican. @@

Quote:
After 5 years eh? Too bad the murdered don't get their life back after 5 years decomposing in a coffin.
If society says that you've paid your debt after a 20 year prison sentence, then that should be it.

Quote:
Now there is a thought but since the dead b=can't be brought back to life after 5 years how about the next best thing? :

Take the murderer and sit them down in a chair. Then get the next of kin to the murdered person and in turn allow them to decide what to do with the murderer. If they all agree to expunge the record, ok. If not, they get the choice of what happens next. On a table, a selection of means are available. Each next of kin gets to take a turn.

Hows that grab you?
^^^This is what I meant in one of my previous posts. Supposedly sane, lucid people come up with really foul and disgusting ways to hurt other human beings.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I don't want a law that says people have to hire anybody they don't want to hire for any reason.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I have made it 38 years without murdering anyone. Everyone I know has also gone a great number of years without murdering anyone.

It's a one step process.

Step 1: DO NOT MURDER ANYONE.

It's pretty simple really. None of these stories I read show a necessity to murder for survival.

Murders and violent criminals get whatever they get, they are of no use to society and are lucky that people give them any chance whatsoever.

I'm curious can anyone point me to a story about a murder who has improved society, perhaps some humanitarian work, invented life saving technology?

Tookie Williams? Not really in my opinion.
You would be surprised at how normal, law abiding citizens can suddenly be murderers.

Off the top of my head...

-A man killed another man who had been harassing him and his wife, calling their employers and making outlandish threats and claims, stalked the couple etc until one night the man couldn't take any more, snapped and shot the stalker

-A man accidentally killed his sister while showing her his gun

-A man got into a fight in a bar with another man, punched him and the man died

None of these were done intentionally, with malice or forethought. They were the results of bad decisions but it doesn't mean the people who committed the crime are forever damaged, unable to live productive lives after serving their sentences.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 AM

57 posts, read 99,956 times
Id say tough luck. Your a convicted felon, you did the crime and now you do the time!

1 year or 18 years, doesnt matter.

-error

Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
But isn't the criminal past wiped out by serving the time? Also, why do you have a right to know other people's business, so you can play judicial system with their lives? If the judicial system said they're free to go, that's good enough for you.
I think if you put yourself I'm the Employer's seat you might feel differently.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post

I'm curious can anyone point me to a story about a murder who has improved society, perhaps some humanitarian work, invented life saving technology?

Tookie Williams? Not really in my opinion.
Dr. Paul Wood

Daniel Manville

Jimmy Boyle

Albin Matthews

Why do these people have to improve society through humanitarian work or inventing life saving technology? Isn't it enough to just lead a productive life like the rest of us? What have you done in the same vein you are expecting of others?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 AM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, for all those that think once you've done your time and paid for your crime(s) it's still not enough here's something to think about.
Here's a person who committed murder, served her time and has changed her life around yet she still can't get away from the paranoid public who've taken to investigating everyone and everything to death and judging someone just by what they've read.

She
I'm torn on this, in the wake of the GermanWing tragedy.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
It's up to the person who does the hiring. Really, these are the things people should think about before they commit their crimes. Life is much harder when you have a violent criminal record.
So, what you're saying is that a person who made a (huge) mistake, admitted that mistake (she turned herself in and pleaded guilty), served her sentence, and improved herself is never any better than that moment when she fired the gun? Wow. I guess there's no reason for people to even try once they've been convicted of a crime.

And no one says the employer is required to hire her; the point is that she is very qualified, but is not permitted to live a normal life 18 years after release. That employers are going back 30 years in background checks - hell, if we did that for presidents, GWB and BHO (and probably most others) would have been eliminated from eligibility.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 AM

29,516 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I think I'll assume that all the judgmental people on here have never experienced sexual abuse before.

Especially the kind that goes on for years and years when you were a young person, the kind of abuse that people ignored when you went to them for help, the kind of abuse that was never acknowledged or dealt with any in any shape or form from a legal standpoint.

I haven't, but I certainly understand how it destroys someone inside, especially when the perpetrator never received punishment for it. And laughs in your face when confronted with their abuse years later, with not an ounce of remorse. The depression, shame, anger, it never goes away, or can be pushed aside but can resurface years later.

Anyone that scoffs at such victims of abuse, or thinks it's something that should be minor as catching a cold ("get over it"), I feel sorry for them.

It's no surprise the victims of sexual abuse can in turn become abusers themselves one day. That's how devastating it is.

So if that was the reason for what she did, then I do have some sympathy for her.

I also wonder those who are hating on her, what about situations where people have guns and attacked or killed others, like a homeowner that goes out of his way to confront someone outside the property with a gun, or a person involved in a road rage, etc.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
All I'm going to say is this: if you are truly concerned about the issues you brought up, educate yourself. Educate yourself on criminology, psychology, abuse, etc.
Thanks but no. I don't do crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies