Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

#1 - Story About First Business to ‘Publicly Vow to Reject Gay Weddings’ Was Fabricated Out of Nothing

ABC-57 reporter Alyssa Marino’s editor sends her on a half-hour drive southwest of their South Bend studio, to the small town of Walkerton (Pop. ~2,300). According to Alyssa’s own account on Twitter, she “just walked into their shop [Memories Pizza] and asked how they feel” about Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Owner Crystal O’Connor says she’s in favor of it, noting that while anyone can eat in her family restaurant, if the business were asked to cater a gay wedding, they would not do it. It conflicts with their biblical beliefs. Alyssa’s tweet mentions that the O’Connors have “never been asked to cater a same-sex wedding.”

What we have here is — as we called in journalism school jargon — “no story.” Nothing happened. Nothing was about to happen.

In other words, Memories Pizza didn’t blast out a news release. They didn’t contact the media, nor make a stink on Twitter or Facebook. They didn’t even post a sign in the window rejecting gay-wedding catering jobs. They merely answered questions from a novice reporter who strolled into their restaurant one day – who was sent on a mission by an irresponsible news organization.

At that point, the story was about the social media backlash.

So in other words, nobody was ever rejected. The business did not send out a press release. They simply accommodated a press person and this is what they get. This is why people have problems with major media.

-----------------------------------

#2 - Tons of people are donating money in support of the Indiana pizza place that won't deliver pizzas to gay weddings

But lots of people stand in support of Memories Pizza — a GoFundMe page set up for the O'Connor's business has raised a staggering $56,000 in the last 18 hours, and the couple is being applauded for their "stand for faith."

"I wish we had more to give. We can't let a small group of militant haters determine the morality of the nation. Thank you for standing up, I'm sorry it cost you so dearly," a man named Dan Neuman commented on the GoFundMe page. He donated $10.

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. In the end it's how you lived your life. In the end it's all about Christ," donor Stephanie Dickerson wrote along with a $15 donation.

Currently over 4,400 people have donated almost $130,000 to the business.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Good for them if they are turning a quick buck on this story.

But they could have simply said we have never refused anyone catering. If they have financial harm because of their stated beliefs, then that is their fault for opening their mouths.

People who own businesses have to think about public opinion when they speak.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
I'm not big on these sort of set ups either...and I'm not sure it was an intentional set up. But they gave an interview and said their feelings. It might have been best to shut up. Most of us know better than to spout our politics at work. I hope this family can recover as they didn't do anything...but they did say they will. They certainly don't deserve harassment, but I'd think twice about doing business with people who said they would mistreat others.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

But they could have simply said we have never refused anyone catering. If they have financial harm because of their stated beliefs, then that is their fault for opening their mouths.

They did say that.

I do agree that they could have been a little more savvy about it - but it's small town Indiana - they are probably not used to dealing with major media types.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

They are closing their doors due to the backlash they received following their comments.

Indiana Pizzeria That Refused To Cater Gay Weddings Forced To Close (VIDEO)

It's hard to believe that in this day and age, anyone could be so naive as to not think there would be repercussions to the kind of comments they made.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
They are closing their doors due to the backlash they received following their comments.

Indiana Pizzeria That Refused To Cater Gay Weddings Forced To Close (VIDEO)
From what I understand - it's temporary at the moment.

The thing is that the overwhelming majority of people who are causing the chaos probably will never even be within 20 miles of that town.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
How often do pizza places cater weddings anyway? Surely them saying they wouldn't is hardly a big deal. They probably were never going to get asked to do one in the first place.

That said, if you're a business owners and someone asks you a question like that, the smart answer is 'I keep politics out of my business.' Boom! No controversy. Everyone wins.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They did say that.

I do agree that they could have been a little more savvy about it - but it's small town Indiana - they are probably not used to dealing with major media types.
"we have never refused service to anyone, but we would"
is not the same as
"we have never refused service to anyone"
in the eyes of the public.

How many people who don;t support discrimination will now re consider where they spend their money?
It may be a short term gain for the shop with the donations, but it may cause long term harm with loss of business.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - Story About First Business to ‘Publicly Vow to Reject Gay Weddings’ Was Fabricated Out of Nothing

ABC-57 reporter Alyssa Marino’s editor sends her on a half-hour drive southwest of their South Bend studio, to the small town of Walkerton (Pop. ~2,300). According to Alyssa’s own account on Twitter, she “just walked into their shop [Memories Pizza] and asked how they feel” about Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Owner Crystal O’Connor says she’s in favor of it, noting that while anyone can eat in her family restaurant, if the business were asked to cater a gay wedding, they would not do it. It conflicts with their biblical beliefs. Alyssa’s tweet mentions that the O’Connors have “never been asked to cater a same-sex wedding.”

What we have here is — as we called in journalism school jargon — “no story.” Nothing happened. Nothing was about to happen.

In other words, Memories Pizza didn’t blast out a news release. They didn’t contact the media, nor make a stink on Twitter or Facebook. They didn’t even post a sign in the window rejecting gay-wedding catering jobs. They merely answered questions from a novice reporter who strolled into their restaurant one day – who was sent on a mission by an irresponsible news organization.

At that point, the story was about the social media backlash.

So in other words, nobody was ever rejected. The business did not send out a press release. They simply accommodated a press person and this is what they get. This is why people have problems with major media.

-----------------------------------

#2 - Tons of people are donating money in support of the Indiana pizza place that won't deliver pizzas to gay weddings

But lots of people stand in support of Memories Pizza — a GoFundMe page set up for the O'Connor's business has raised a staggering $56,000 in the last 18 hours, and the couple is being applauded for their "stand for faith."

"I wish we had more to give. We can't let a small group of militant haters determine the morality of the nation. Thank you for standing up, I'm sorry it cost you so dearly," a man named Dan Neuman commented on the GoFundMe page. He donated $10.

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. In the end it's how you lived your life. In the end it's all about Christ," donor Stephanie Dickerson wrote along with a $15 donation.

Currently over 4,400 people have donated almost $130,000 to the business.
They have never catered anything, he said. He was asked about it only, and he said he wouldn't do it. That's all, and that started a firestorm! Ridiculous!

Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
How often do pizza places cater weddings anyway? Surely them saying they wouldn't is hardly a big deal. They probably were never going to get asked to do one in the first place.

That said, if you're a business owners and someone asks you a question like that, the smart answer is 'I keep politics out of my business.' Boom! No controversy. Everyone wins.
I seriously doubt any wedding reception would call a pizza house to provide the food.

This was nothing more than people with a political agenda fabricating a story to further a personal agenda.

This whole issue is silly, where business owners are refusing to provide food to a gay wedding, whether it's food for the reception, or a cake. By the time the guests get around to cutting the cake or eating dinner, the wedding has already taken place. You are not taking part in an event if it already took place an hour or more earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies