Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that "Black racists don't matter"?
No, I don't agree 50 86.21%
Yes, I agree 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Black people don't have the money/power to discriminate against whites. In order for a black man to deny a white guy a job because he's white requires that black man to be in the position of being a boss in the first place.

How about when the black guy is government and whitey need not apply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 05:38 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Black people don't have the money/power to discriminate against whites. In order for a black man to deny a white guy a job because he's white requires that black man to be in the position of being a boss in the first place.
So there are no black men in the position of power in the United States in 2015?

Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,041 times
I think the Black Racists do matter just as the other colors do. I'm not an educated person, but I have grown up where my parents to an extent were racist, yet they liked some black people. I guess you can say that I'm a white racist to an extent.

I lived through the riots back in the 70's when my school merged with schools that had more blacks in their districts.
I had black friends growing up and they were "black" people that came from good homes.

I don't understand today's "racism" because in the 80's, whites lost their jobs due to the filling of black and female quotas for jobs. My husband was one of those whites. My next door neighbors were black and I loved them and I've worked with many black people just because of the areas I've lived in.

Blacks have worked so hard to get rid of the stereotype whites put on them many years ago. I feel bad for all of the black people that have busted their butts to make a better life for themselves, yet the racist blacks refuse to do the same and pull out the race card.

I don't understand through all this work, how that ONE word is so popular amongst black people now, but if a white person says it, we're racist. It took how many years to get rid of that word (and believe it or not, some of us whites did quit using that word).

I learned when I worked in a call center with many black co-workers that the blacks that are here today that came from Africa or Jamaica want very little to do with the "lazy" American blacks. This was something I had no idea about.

Some whites are privileged and were born privileged. My ancestors came over here from Ireland (on a boat) and took low paying jobs as janitors, laborers or maids. My ex's came from Croatia and his grandfather would stand outside of the steel mills being called a Hunkey, as he'd wait to get a days work. That term Hunkey or ****** is still being used by black people.

Yes, the whites made lives for themselves here and there are still the "white trash" that won't get off their lazy butts and get jobs.

I used to love the speeches that Bill Cosby would give to the graduates of black universities because he had it right.
It's time we ALL move on from this racist mentality that's used as an excuse.

Black racists have to get over that mentality and show the world that they are equal. White racists need to accept there's a difference between blacks that are and have been working versus the lazy blacks to abandon that stereotype. They need to show us "crackers" they're better than that.

I'm sorry that the good blacks have to deal with racial profiling. There's also racial profiling for other "people of color".

I know what I've done to try to stop being a racist, but I still am when it comes to the lazy blacks not taking responsibility for making a better life for themselves and pulling out the race card.

Why is that ONE word acceptable among some black people. I think it's just undoing all the work that's been done over the years to rid that word from some of our vocabularies. It boggles my mind to hear it used so freely today.

I wish we could have a politically correct slang term for all lazy people of all colors that abuse our welfare system. Yes, I do realize there are people that are disabled or unemployable that truly need it.

I think the educated blacks need to educate the uneducated.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:26 AM

267 posts, read 311,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Tell me how a black racist has ruined your life.

Don't worry I'll wait.
Black people are racist with one another too. This has been well documented. Darker skinned blacks are looked down upon by lighter skinned blacks (vice versa). This has been an issue in the black community for years. Tag onto that the idea that if a black person does well, makes money, never been in trouble with the law, don't speak in ebonics, dating someone outside their race, living in a good neighborhood, and becomes successful. They are a sell out, an oreo, black on the outside and white on the inside. Blacks have a significant problem in their own community (group) with prejudice amongst themselves which is sad.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus64 View Post
Black people are racist with one another too. This has been well documented. Darker skinned blacks are looked down upon by lighter skinned blacks (vice versa). This has been an issue in the black community for years. Tag onto that the idea that if a black person does well, makes money, never been in trouble with the law, don't speak in ebonics, dating someone outside their race, living in a good neighborhood, and becomes successful. They are a sell out, an oreo, black on the outside and white on the inside. Blacks have a significant problem in their own community (group) with prejudice amongst themselves which is sad.
And if they dare to proclaim they will pull the wrong lever in the voting machine, then the hatred really starts.

You make a good point. People who are racist also tend to express their racist attitudes towards people who have their same skin color as well.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
are you telling me that I am richer and more powerful than the president of the united states?

how odd.

in any case, you clearly need to go look up a word, so I'll leave you with that.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
So there are no black men in the position of power in the United States in 2015?
You are getting at a point that is subject to some debate and discussion. While I think your framing is utterly flawed, I do think it's true that the contours of power are constantly shifting and dependent on specific circumstances and situations. I would suggest that there are contexts in which black people have power--but those contexts are not necessarily the same as an individual being in power.

But we should also, as a nation, take a step back and realistically evaluate the landscape. Study after study confirms the power of racial bias in contemporary America.

http://defiant.ssc.uwo.ca/undergradu...%20dilemma.pdf
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/...racialbias.pdf
Police Chief Magazine - View Article
Test That Found Widespread Unconscious Racial Bias Validated -- ScienceDaily
STUDIES: Racial Bias Among Jurors in Death Penalty Cases | Death Penalty Information Center
Looking Across the Empathic Divide: Racialized Decision Making on the Capital Jury by Mona Lynch, Craig Haney :: SSRN
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/up...abt=0002&abg=1

A claim that black racism doesn't matter overstates the case, but there is no doubt about where the vast majority of the impact really is today. In fact, vast majority is an understatement of the case.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Learn the definition of the word racism, first.

So where does the definition of racism have anything per se to deal with power dynamics?

Instead, the definition posited asserts that such governmental polices ARE racism. Not that it is necessary FOR racism to exist.

IN fact, the other definitions presented make no mention of power relation vis-à-vis any groups involved.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, what year do you live in?

So no black people hold positions of power? None have hiring authority anywhere? No black people at every.single.level.of.government?

No black judges? Police officers and police chiefs? No black elected representatives? No black people in the military? No black business owners? Retail store managers? Restaurant owners? No black bankers?

Very interesting perspective. A wrong one. But interesting nonetheless.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
It's odd how vehemently internet posters will try to ignore the difference between "popular" racism and "institutional racism," although this post is admittedly more trolling than genuine vehement ignorance.

Institutional racism is now an old concept--the "old equation" of power + prejudice. It is in this context that I expect the poster referred to by the OP was saying that "black racists don't matter." In the same sense, I would suggest that the white homeless man who yells an epithet at me "doesn't matter," and my version is probably a little more on point than that of the poster referred to by the OP. This is the concept first put forth in academic literature in the 1970s.

I would differentiate between institutional racism and the popular culture's use of the term, which tends to ignore power entirely. At least some theorists would say that ignoring power is a mistake because growing up in this culture means that one cannot be untainted by prejudice--i.e. most everyone has bigoted thoughts from time to time. Such a theorist is likely more concerned about enshrining that private bigotry into the halls of power, whether tacitly, overtly, or even unconsciously.

It's odd how vehemently internet posters peddle in tautology. Give yourself a hand.

Further congratulations, sir/madam, for explaining institutional racism vs. private or situational racism.

However you and others fail to take it one step further. Everytime some white person is racist it is not an expression of institutional racism. It's actually usually the same sort or inter-personal prejudice that you claim blacks engage in as opposed to "true racism" (which you think is only present with power).

The vast majority of racism expressed is almost always private/an expression of prejudice.

Private and situational racism, however, affects people in very real ways. On an individual level, such interactions between people are "more real" in every day ways that the specter of the "man" or "the system" keeping everyone down.

The fact that police "kill a black person every 28 hours" (which also includes justified homicides, btw, and not all incidents like the NC case) actually is less important and real for the average person than the likely more frequent incidents and chance of being touched by non-institutional violence motivated by race.

Last edited by TriMT7; 04-08-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies