Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Addressed them with incorrect assumptions and untruths masquerading as facts, sure. I'm not calling him/her a liar; I'm just saying they are regurgitating things that are untrue.
Which would amount to the same thing as calling me a liar no?

My credentials are already in the thread, had you bothered to check it.

What is untrue precisely?

That Infosys and Tata do not have a branch in Rosemead? Is that untrue? No you can find that out quite easily.

That the salary data is not defined to inform what data it is? it just says median and mean salary for what? For all employees, for all US employees, for all US employees with H1B's, for all US employees who are in IT, for all US employees with H1B's who are in IT? Where does it say in the report what their people are? Are you saying that in 2000 Microsoft was not paying below median and mean salary for Santa Clara County? Are you saying that living expenses for Santa Clara County in 2000 were less than Seattle/Eastside in the same period?

That employers have no requirement to pay for green card processing? That the method we currently have for using H1B's as a means to a green card seems archaic? That congress cannot correct the issue?

That the skills taught in colleges for IT do little to prepare candidates for employment in the field? Really?

Or is it merely the fact that given that "everyone you've shown it to" it resonates, makes you think that correctness is determined by popularity? You understand that religion resonates with billions of people, and that of all religions at least one of those religions is wrong.

If that's the best you got, I'm not surprised you're afraid of some newly graduated H1B holder taking your job.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That the salary data is not defined to inform what data it is? it just says median and mean salary for what? For all employees, for all US employees, for all US employees with H1B's, for all US employees who are in IT, for all US employees with H1B's who are in IT? Where does it say in the report what their people are? Are you saying that in 2000 Microsoft was not paying below median and mean salary for Santa Clara County? Are you saying that living expenses for Santa Clara County in 2000 were less than Seattle/Eastside in the same period?
You must never do any research into this issue. It is an accepted fact that H1Bs are paid less than US citizens or green card holders for the same job title.

Quote:
That employers have no requirement to pay for green card processing? That the method we currently have for using H1B's as a means to a green card seems archaic? That congress cannot correct the issue?
Seems archaic? Only if you think we need MORE immigrants here, which I disagree with. Congress can, and should, correct the issue by abolishing the H1B system altogether.

Quote:
That the skills taught in colleges for IT do little to prepare candidates for employment in the field? Really?
Irrelevant bunk. I have a liberal arts degree. My university did NOTHING to prepare me for a job in I.T. I'm self-taught.

Quote:
Or is it merely the fact that given that "everyone you've shown it to" it resonates, makes you think that correctness is determined by popularity? You understand that religion resonates with billions of people, and that of all religions at least one of those religions is wrong.
LOL, wrong again; people who work in this field on a daily basis know exactly what the landscape looks like. We know we're being lied to and screwed.

Quote:
If that's the best you got, I'm not surprised you're afraid of some newly graduated H1B holder taking your job.
Spoken like an H1B apologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:02 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
You must never do any research into this issue. It is an accepted fact that H1Bs are paid less than US citizens or green card holders for the same job title.
It was an accepted fact that the world was flat to.

Quote:
Seems archaic? Only if you think we need MORE immigrants here, which I disagree with. Congress can, and should, correct the issue by abolishing the H1B system altogether.
So you clearly didn't reexamine my prior statement.

The whole complaint in the report was that companies do not utilize the path of converting H1B's to Green Cards. My point was that the current system has an extra step that
1) Permits people who are not eligible for US citizenship to live and work in the US for 6 years on an H1B visa
2) By default people who have proven they can meet the bar for their positions are required to leave with the skills and knowledge gained at US expense at the end of the visa period.

Neither has any sense.

Quote:
Irrelevant bunk. I have a liberal arts degree. My university did NOTHING to prepare me for a job in I.T. I'm self-taught.
So why are the arguments that we have X Million graduates who can do the job used all of the time to explain why we do not need H1B's?

Quote:
LOL, wrong again; people who work in this field on a daily basis know exactly what the landscape looks like. We know we're being lied to and screwed.
How am I wrong? Give me the data that what was in that report was valid. Giving your opinions about how you feel about your position tells me a lot about you and your position, but nothing more than anecdote.

Quote:
Spoken like an H1B apologist.
I'm not an apologist, I'm just less sympathetic to the entitled freeloaders who think that because they were born American they're owed a living. You're not, get over yourself. You earn everything you get.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
It was an accepted fact that the world was flat to.

I'm not an apologist, I'm just less sympathetic to the entitled freeloaders who think that because they were born American they're owed a living. You're not, get over yourself. You earn everything you get.

These two sentences are why I'm not going to waste more time arguing this issue with you. You aren't being open-minded about it at all and will obviously refuse to see my point of view since I'm merely an "entitled American" who thinks I'm owed a living. You're out to score points, nothing more.

I worked my ass off to get where I am today, and being female I had to work HARDER than the men did. Certainly harder than any H1B had to. I code rings around these people. They are rank amateurs compared to me. None of my coworkers would ever describe me as "entitled" or a "freeloader."

I guess you'll just have to deal the race card next.

I'm out.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 PM

258 posts, read 157,595 times
Quote:
Well, you can certainly argue that they might expect that public policy is setup to favor them over foreign nationals, but I'm afraid that's a mindset that died long ago.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
You must never do any research into this issue. It is an accepted fact that H1Bs are paid less than US citizens or green card holders for the same job title
I've done a bunch of research into this. It's not accepted fact. Can you find any research that proves your point? What may be true is that the abusive companies modify job titles so they can justify lower salaries. But this is not what you're saying.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
These two sentences are why I'm not going to waste more time arguing this issue with you. You aren't being open-minded about it at all and will obviously refuse to see my point of view since I'm merely an "entitled American" who thinks I'm owed a living. You're out to score points, nothing more.

I worked my ass off to get where I am today, and being female I had to work HARDER than the men did. Certainly harder than any H1B had to. I code rings around these people. They are rank amateurs compared to me. None of my coworkers would ever describe me as "entitled" or a "freeloader."

I guess you'll just have to deal the race card next.

I'm out.
Gungnir was referring to freeloaders. You're not a freeloader; why would you take personal offense at what he said? If anything, he is encouraging people to work as hard as you did to earn what they deserve, as opposed to asking for things that they feel entitled to.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:

So that's where your position stands. As a citizen of the United States, I feel that my governments responsibility is to it's citizens first, with the prerequisite to do as little harm to the rest of the world as possible.

The government is not doing what's best for it's citizens by constantly undercutting existing labor here with H1b's on the middle to top end, and looking the other way at illegal immigration on the bottom end.

This has nothing to do with being owed a living, that's just rhetorical BS on your part. If I pay taxes here and pay for my kids college education, my government should not be undercutting his ability to get a job by allowing companies to hire H1b's who can be exploited because they don't know any better.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So that's where your position stands. As a citizen of the United States, I feel that my governments responsibility is to it's citizens first, with the prerequisite to do as little harm to the rest of the world as possible.

The government is not doing what's best for it's citizens by constantly undercutting existing labor here with H1b's on the middle to top end, and looking the other way at illegal immigration on the bottom end.

This has nothing to do with being owed a living, that's just rhetorical BS on your part. If I pay taxes here and pay for my kids college education, my government should not be undercutting his ability to get a job by allowing companies to hire H1b's who can be exploited because they don't know any better.
Well said!

Old 06-18-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

There are a few problems with this:

1. "It's" is not the same as "its".
2. "Governments" is not the same as "government's".
3. "Kids" is not the same as "kid's".
4. H-1B workers pay taxes and pay for their kids' college education too. In return, they get no social security benefits. Reasoning your way, they may actually be more advantageous.
5. What you consider exploitation may not be what they consider exploitation. Do you think illegal Mexican immigrants are exploited because they don't know better or do they know everything but don't regard it as exploitation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies