Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
These two sentences are why I'm not going to waste more time arguing this issue with you. You aren't being open-minded about it at all and will obviously refuse to see my point of view since I'm merely an "entitled American" who thinks I'm owed a living. You're out to score points, nothing more.

I worked my ass off to get where I am today, and being female I had to work HARDER than the men did. Certainly harder than any H1B had to. I code rings around these people. They are rank amateurs compared to me. None of my coworkers would ever describe me as "entitled" or a "freeloader."

I guess you'll just have to deal the race card next.

I'm out.
Yep. Since when are Americans who think they deserve a job over visa workers freeloaders? It would be the opposite. I'm also a self taught technology worker. This idea that Americans refuse to learn new skills is funny because I'm always learning new skills and receiving certificates. Yet I've often lost jobs to visa workers who aren't as skilled as me.

I can't remember which post but someone mentioned about a recent grad getting a H1-b visa. New grad would likely not be skilled so why hire them over an American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
There are a few problems with this:

1. "It's" is not the same as "its".
2. "Governments" is not the same as "government's".
3. "Kids" is not the same as "kid's".
4. H-1B workers pay taxes and pay for their kids' college education too. In return, they get no social security benefits. Reasoning your way, they may actually be more advantageous.
5. What you consider exploitation may not be what they consider exploitation. Do you think illegal Mexican immigrants are exploited because they don't know better or do they know everything but don't regard it as exploitation?
So what if visa workers pay for their kids to attend college? They aren't Americans, American workers should come first.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Seriously, you want to have a legitimate conversation by starting out with the first 3 d-baggy bullet points? I'm in finance, not an English major, and typing between doing things that are far more important than impressing your smug *** with flawless grammar on the interwebz.

Nothing that you said in any way changes what the responsibility of my government is to US citizens.

So you are another one who thinks US workers are an entitled, lazy bunch, who deserve to have their standard of living undercut using illegal and/or unethical labor practices by large companies with the aid of the government.

Your position is noted.
When pro visa people attack grammar that means they know they are wring and can't defend themselves.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yep. Since when are Americans who think they deserve a job over visa workers freeloaders? It would be the opposite. I'm also a self taught technology worker. This idea that Americans refuse to learn new skills is funny because I'm always learning new skills and receiving certificates. Yet I've often lost jobs to visa workers who aren't as skilled as me.

I can't remember which post but someone mentioned about a recent grad getting a H1-b visa. New grad would likely not be skilled so why hire them over an American?
In IT, young workers often have the new technology.

For example, data scientists of today are supposed to know statistics, machine learning, coding, and big data platforms (e.g. Hadoop MapReduce). Most of the workers having all those skills are young. Those positions often require a graduate degree and research experience too.

In old days, however, data scientists may only know traditional statistics, some SQL commands and very basic programming.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In IT, young workers often have the new technology.

For example, data scientists of today are supposed to know statistics, machine learning, coding, and big data platforms (e.g. Hadoop MapReduce). Most of the workers having all those skills are young. Those positions often require a graduate degree and research experience too.

In old days, however, data scientists may only know traditional statistics, some SQL commands and very basic programming.
But the reality is often recent Indian grads are getting jobs over American recent grads. There's no reason this should happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies