Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I do see a strong moral difference between a historically persecuted minority preaching group pride and a member of the dominant group. Most people that preach white pride are ignorant racists.
It would be "Most people who preach white pride are ignorant racists." If you're going to accuse people of ignorance you should learn basic grammar. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 03:29 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
IF I was serious about going to Turkey; yes I WOULD do the things you've just said. Just like I'd expect YOU to follow OUR ways of doing things in the US assuming you were a legal alien. Period.
Hmmm, one of the things stated above was "proud to be an American". I see.

I am glad that you would be a model immigrant in a Muslim country like Turkey, and assimilate immediately and fully. I don't believe that for a second, but whatevs.

I am sure the irony of the posts here would not be lost on the Native Americans.

Mick

Old 04-18-2015, 03:30 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
It would be "Most people who preach white pride are ignorant racists." If you're going to accuse people of ignorance you should learn basic grammar. Just saying.
In that case, you ought to capitalize "F" and "L" in your username, too. Silly, ain't it?

Mick

Old 04-18-2015, 03:35 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

I am glad that you would be a model immigrant in a Muslim country like Turkey, and assimilate immediately and fully. I don't believe that for a second, but whatevs.

I am sure the irony of the posts here would not be lost on the Native Americans.

Mick
There was no USA back then and there were no Native Americans. The so-called natives migrated here just like the Europeans did. They didn't just sprout up out of the ground like corn.

Who in the hell is demanding that "immigrants" assimilate immediately? Unfortunately, though there are those who have been here for decades and still haven't assimilated. Learn to know the difference.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

Mick
Just stop it please. This is 2015, NOT 1492. NONE of us in 2015 owe the Indians a thing except the SAME rights as any other US citizen here in the US.

Too; the American Indians came to what's the US and so on at different times in history AND they had their share of wars with each other which would count as war crimes in 2015. I'm 100 percent sure the losers; IF they weren't all murdered, were accepted into the winning tribe/nation.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Unless they're belittling another race, it's about the same as any other celebration of things that happened to you by accident of birth. I have brown eyes. Where's my magical month? Among other groups, my dark hair and eyes kept me out of the Aryan race. I'm offended. Do I get to celebrate now?

I stand by my point. Celebrating race (in the way that it's portrayed in the case I was referring to) it utterly pointless.

I also wouldn't say this example in Europe is even so to close to an issue of white supremacy. It's no different than celebrating any other heritage. And that's my point. We attack meaning to people who celebrate their being white, but apply a completely different logic to everyone else and we do this pretty much regardless of where it's happening. I guarantee that is white people started holding up signs about how great it is to be white in Saudi Arabia, they'd be called racist but if a group of Saudis celebrate their being Saudi in France, it's representing their heritage.

So my point stands: celebrating something that you had absolutely no say in being a part of is pointless. I was born white. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it. It just is.
We're going to have to agree to disagree. Celebrating heritage is a natural form of human expression. Most conservatives see these types of expressions and they long for the same expressions celebrating white supremacy…

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree. Celebrating heritage is a natural form of human expression. Most conservatives see these types of expressions and they long for the same expressions celebrating white supremacy…
Cultural heritage and race are not the same thing. White people do not necessarily all share a common culture. They are diverse, just as any other race.

To celebrate one's heritage, while still rather silly in my opinion, does not bring the same negativity that celebrating one's race does.

And understand: when I say celebrating one's heritage, I don't mean not taking part of it. If your heritage has certain traditions you want to carry out they may not be typical 'American,' do them and do them happily. By celebrate, I mean the public display of them. To form parades over the celebration of an entire race makes no sense to me. Aside from vague geographic location and skin tone, people of the same race may very well have nothing truly in common. It's the equivalent of celebrating having blue eyes. It's fine to be enjoy them, but be reasonable about the impact they truly have on your life.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:56 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,960,205 times
Interesting topic! Although I'm not sure I completely understand, I do believe that if someone were to stand up and celebrate blue eyed natural blonds, shades of Hitler would seep in, and that would be the end of that - although the blue eyed blond female, commonly identified as a bimbo, can be celebrated. Do people celebrate being black ... kind of like "gay pride"?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Interesting topic! Although I'm not sure I completely understand, I do believe that if someone were to stand up and celebrate blue eyed natural blonds, shades of Hitler would seep in, and that would be the end of that - although the blue eyed blond female, commonly identified as a bimbo, can be celebrated. Do people celebrate being black ... kind of like "gay pride"?
Agreed even tho Hitler was NO blond.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:06 PM

428 posts, read 344,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

To celebrate one's heritage, while still rather silly in my opinion, does not bring the same negativity that celebrating one's race does.
But your heritage happens in a thousand small ways, I can't say that it's silly. If you harken back to the original founding of the country (implying mostly English roots), there are subtleties to holidays, things as simple as nursery rhymes (Mary Mary quite contrary), traditional music, books (Chaucer or Shakespeare), famous early historical figures. It isn't all some version of Highland games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies