Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull View Post
When ever I see a white woman with a black I just think Future single mom.
Not necessarily. I work for a Fortune 500 company and my Black male coworkers are all married to White or Hispanic women. No divorces that I know of.

Now, in my life with friends that are not so well to do, many Black, White and Hispanic women who have no or little involvement from their child's fathers do fit the negative statistics.

Don't want to be poor and deserted with a child, don't get knocked up before getting married

"Men who become fathers outside of marriage are more likely to be poor. These men were 70 percent to 90 percent more likely to be poor compared to men who never had children before marriage. Their risk of poverty varied with the age at which they became fathers."

Marriage and Poverty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 12:21 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Well those statics are somewhat misleading because their parents are still together but not married.
Yeah, keep believing that.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Look, you can call it want you want. If absentee or abandoned are exaggerations, go with less-involved in a child's life. There is no doubt, none, that the % of black fathers who don't reside with their child is much higher than the % of other races. It's also a fact that fathers in residence have far, far more constant and consistent influence on the child.

If you want to argue that it's better if a rotten father isn't around a child, the same could be said for mothers. A silly, desperate argument.

"We can't simply write these problems off to past injustices. Those injustices are real. There's a reason our families are in disrepair ... but we can't keep using that as an excuse." ...

Says white supremacist prez Obama.
I'm not calling anything any other names.

I answered the question of the OP.

I also stated that being born OOW or having a single parent does not mean that a child has an absentee father.

I spoke nothing of "injustices" of the past. You and people like you may have a fascination with believing that blacks are blaming everything on whitey, but I only said that statistics do lie and don't tell the exact truth. I used my own self as an example being my parents shared custody of me. Yet I was born OOW. My father was and still is an active participant in my life as he was for all 5 of his children.

It is very rare that a black man completely abandons his child or remains "absent" on a regular basis.

Being "more involved" and being "absent" are two totally different things.

Also, in the case of my own dad, who had partial custody of me and my older brother, he took care of us 100% the days we were with him. I am a married woman with a husband and 2 children and I can honestly say that my father was "more involved" as a single dad than my husband is with our children. He doesn't do as much for them or with them as I do. This is the case for the majority of married individuals. The woman bares the brunt of childcare. Men for the most part "help out here or there." So many husbands are not actively involved in their children's lives anyway. And FWIW, my husband is a good dad. But he doesn't get our kids up and dressed for school every day. He doesn't make all of their meals and snacks every day. He doesn't do laundry. He doesn't act as a chaufeur as much as I do. He does help out with homework. He doesn't ensure the kids get their baths everyday. He is around though and he does fun stuff with them like sports and takes them to the library and takes them fishing when he goes and various other "fatherly" things, but my dad, who was not married to my mom, did all of those things and took care of all my day to day needs for half of the year by himself.

So the point was, that you and others like you confuse out of wedlock statistics with absenteeism or abandonment on the part of black fathers when that is not true at all. I provided you information about how it is a myth. (For those who missed it look up - "The Myth of the Missing Black Father"). You dont' want to accept that information for some reason and seek to continue to claim some sort of deficiency on the part of black fathers.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:24 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,502 times
"The Myth of the Missing Black Father" puh-lease, do you know how much $$$ the American taxpayers (black/white/Chinese) have to shoulder to house, feed, and school children of blacks and Hispanics because da-da splits...or ma-ma "splits"? Numbers don't lie no matter how match you chant "we are the world".

Old 05-15-2015, 01:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
"The Myth of the Missing Black Father" puh-lease, do you know how much $$$ the American taxpayers (black/white/Chinese) have to shoulder to house, feed, and school children of blacks and Hispanics because da-da splits...or ma-ma "splits"? Numbers don't lie no matter how match you chant "we are the world".
Even tho more Black or "Hispanic" kids out of 100 have fathers that don't stay compared to anglo white kids out of a 100; in total numbers there are MORE anglo white kids in that kind of bad situation because there are 6 times as many of us out there.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:38 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah, keep believing that.
Some of them are still together or they split up later on then might they left their children behind.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
You should read the book and study.

It was discovered that black non-custodial parents were more likely to pay child support and provide for their children financially than white men.

Just because you like to stay mirred in decades old stereotypes built upon the assumption of black inferiority doesn't mean that the info in the book and study is not based in reality.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Statistics, as you speak of them, are a percentage of an isolated group. In this case that is black people,
but as a percentage of the entire population, there are more absent white fathers than black.
Proper context can only be viewed by percentages.
The black population has a bigger problem with it's absent fathers, than the white population has with it's absent fathers... statistically.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Proper context can only be viewed by percentages.
The black population has a bigger problem with it's absent fathers, than the white population has with it's absent fathers... statistically.
the question was whether or not it was a problem for other groups, not who had the biggest problem.

So in context, it is indeed a problem for multiple races, not just blacks.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:46 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
These policies(provided by the government) help perpetuate this dysfunctional cycle that exists within the Black family. As long a Black women(or any women) have all these safety net liberal polices that encourages them to make bad choices and decisions in life, it will never change. While there is fault on men who leave their children, women have to take responsibility for their actions as well. If you keep on choosing to sleep and have children with bad men then at some point you have to be an adult and own up to your bad decisions in life. As long as these liberal feminist policies exists, this dysfunctional cycle in the Black community will never change.

Women can't brag about "not needing a man to raise a family" then complain when there is no man in the family". You can't have it both ways. Realistically, this issue goes far beyond just the Black community and is really an American cultural problem.
I agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies