Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times

Advertisements

For those who complain expecting the producers to pay more, you need a reminder.

You could have all of the money in the world in 1900 and not be able to watch television, avoid polio, or lessen the risk of dying from infection. You couldn’t fly anywhere in the world. You couldn’t pick up the phone and call family and friends, or, for that matter, hop onto Facetime and see them live or talk to people from all over the world.

Because of capitalism... people are encouraged to invent and produce, and by taking risks and IF "SUCCESSFUL" they contribute to society. I'd say that capitalist have contributed to making our lives better with modern day conveniences and nice things yet the complainers want these people who already contribute to give more and more. Now how do non-producers, people who with their hands out contribute to society? How do they make the rest of society better? Why do we give them a pass, letting them off the hook for even paying their own way in life while ranting against those who make our lives better?

Why don’t people ever stop to think about the absolute riches and modern day convenience we have in our lives because of capitalism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
I do pay more. Even with all the money I am able to divert away from the tax man thru expert tax advice throughout the year I still pay more than all my employees put together.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:31 AM

We live in a world full of conveniences and these are not considered the basics but because people hopped on the "I hate the rich" hedonic treadmill, people quickly lose the comparison to what we might have had if we were living a mere century ago or in a society (propagated by the left) that demonizes people who took risks, became successful because they invented, provided things or services of modern day and because they serve other people well they became wealthy. There is nothing wrong with that.

I would rather they become wealthy and I am able to enjoy conveniences instead of giving into the mentality that discourages people because it does not pay to risk.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the criers.
Poor people don't run the government. Rich people do.
Expansion of welfare is what they toss to the multitudes, not pay increases.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We live in a world full of conveniences and these are not considered the basics but because people hopped on the "I hate the rich" hedonic treadmill, people quickly lose the comparison to what we might have had if we were living a mere century ago or in a society (propagated by the left) that demonizes people who took risks, became successful because they invented, provided things or services of modern day and because they serve other people well they became wealthy. There is nothing wrong with that.

I would rather they become wealthy and I am able to enjoy conveniences instead of giving into the mentality that discourages people because it does not pay to risk.
No one's saying they have no right to become wealthy but as long as corporations are going to be considered 'people' they can pay their fair share to support the infrastructure, highway system, air-traffic control system, military defense, et al they take advantage of and use as much as anyone else.

This desire to place companies on a pedestal as some modern day Baal is mind-boggling.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
Quote:
For those who complain expecting the producers to pay more, you need a reminder.

You could have all of the money in the world in 1900 and not be able to watch television, avoid polio, or lessen the risk of dying from infection. You couldn’t fly anywhere in the world. You couldn’t pick up the phone and call family and friends, or, for that matter, hop onto Facetime and see them live or talk to people from all over the world.

Because of capitalism... people are encouraged to invent and produce, and by taking risks and IF "SUCCESSFUL" they contribute to society. I'd say that capitalist have contributed to making our lives better with modern day conveniences and nice things yet the complainers want these people who already contribute to give more and more. Now how do non-producers, people who with their hands out contribute to society? How do they make the rest of society better? Why do we give them a pass, letting them off the hook for even paying their own way in life while ranting against those who make our lives better?

Why don’t people ever stop to think about the absolute riches and modern day convenience we have in our lives because of capitalism?
No. Because the people who shout the loudest -- namely journalists and university professors -- are in positions that have zero bottom-line awareness. The average newsroom is hemorrhaging cash. The average university professor has zero awareness of the school's balance sheet. All they do is talk about the way things should be rather than live in the world of how things are.

More to the point, I've noticed a strain of condescension in some of those arguments, a notion that somehow the people bringing in the big bucks aren't deserving. You hear this a lot when it comes when it comes to discussions of executives. "Why they do nothing all day but go to meetings and tell people what to do." Ummm, no. They make huge, wrenching decisions every day. It's the equivalent of walking a tightrope. One bad move and you're toast. Ever sat in a shareholder's meeting with profits run dry? It's not a pretty sight.

Or athletes and entertainers. Never mind the ephemeral nature of success in those businesses. Lots of athletes and entertainers were on Easy Street at one time, and now have to scratch out a living like the rest of us.

The other thing is that the complainers don't understand the concept of investment and why it's so critical. These are the people who, for example, love to whine about capital gains tax rates being low. Well, the reason for that is simple. With a high capital gains tax, there's a much lower return on investment. In turn, that means far fewer are going to invest. Fewer investment dollars means that company run out of cash. In other words, take a look at the stagflation of the 70s. That's what happens when you choke off investment by denying decent returns.

And, finally, they never seemed bothered by the fact that the top earners in this country pay taxes in far, far higher percentages than their share of income. Yes, they earn a lot. But they pay even more.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I still pay more than all my employees put together.
Cry me a freaking river.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,451,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I do pay more. Even with all the money I am able to divert away from the tax man thru expert tax advice throughout the year I still pay more than all my employees put together.
Good for you, do you feel better now?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No one's saying they have no right to become wealthy but as long as corporations are going to be considered 'people' they can pay their fair share to support the infrastructure, highway system, air-traffic control system, military defense, et al they take advantage of and use as much as anyone else.

This desire to place companies on a pedestal as some modern day Baal is mind-boggling.
Without capitalism you wouldn't have a need for a highway system, air traffic control. Fair is when you pay the same percentage as the next person. They contribute in money and making your life better and I'd rather get a check from them than you. It's not their fault that you didn't take risks or didn't improve your marketable skills, no you made those decisions and in the U.S. you are free to make that decision but you reap what you put in.

I'd rather they get rich and me live with modern day conveniences of the here and now and of the future than what people like you offer society. We'd still be cutting logs for the fireplace, using candles for light, riding horse and buggy, going to the out house using leaves if the United States did it your way.

Last edited by petch751; 04-15-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 10:56 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Without capitalism you wouldn't have a need for a highway system, air traffic control. they contribute in money and making your life better. I'd rather they get rich and me live with modern day conveniences of the here and now and of the future than what people like you offer society. We'd still be going out to the wood shed to get logs for the fireplace, riding horse and buggy, going to the out house using leaves if the United States did it your way.

Another advocate for SOCIALSIM! and WELFARE! , let's coddle these producers we allegedly couldn't exist without, eh?

Corporations exist to make a profit, to believe they exist to make our lives better is delusional. You tell us they make our lives so much better, they couldn't exist without us, consumers, either. They should be treated no different than the average working man, they should pay for what they get/use.

Typical trickle-down lies, pee on peoples' heads and tell them it's raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies