Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times

Advertisements

Cable Franchise Agreement Debate; Producers Want Channel Moved Back

Cable Franchise Agreement Debate; Producers Want Channel Moved Back

even if cox channel 109 was moved back to basic,

these guys would still complain people aint paying attention to them

cox channel 109 has shows that arent even local and are part of the msnbc wannabee channel called FREE SPEECH TV

so technically channel 109 aint a local public access channel with all those FSTV shows on there.

give FSTv it's own channel and drop the shows off channel 109

in fact when it was on channel 23, more than half the shows werent local. they were either FSTV shows or shows from other channels

================================================== =======================

Font Size: Every city has a version of Wayne's World -- public access cable shows with locals producing the program. On Tuesday, some of Omaha's hosts went before the city council to demand changes in the next cable franchise agreement.

Johnny Carson gave Eddie Weldon his first television break in Omaha when he was 13. He's still going strong. "I brought Jerry Lee Lewis back. I'm 75-years old and I can still do this," says Weldon who jumped up and showed the council members acrobatic moves.

A few years ago, Cox Communications, with the city's permission, moved his program and all the others on channel 23 to digital channel 109. Arthur Pfeifer plays piano, accordion and organ in his show. "Since I've been put on 109, the old people in the nursing home can't see me anymore."

Those with cable access programs call their new home digital Siberia. Cox Communications points out that there just isn't a big audience for public access and the niche programming. "It's declining throughout the years," says John Barrett with Cox.

Cox and Qwest and the city of Omaha will soon start negotiating a new franchise fee agreement.

There are several things on the table. While some people want their channels moved back, the city is asking the cable companies to invest more than $3-million in equipment and production so it's easier for neighborhood associations and civic organizations to produce shows.

The city points to a recent scientific survey with what were called surprising results with public access channels in the basic tier.

"The survey did show that 28% of people watched the Knowledge Network -- an educational channel," says Omaha Deputy City Attorney Tom Mumgaard. "12% had watched Channel 22 which is a minority channel."

And who wouldn't want to see Eddie Weldon and his energy again?

"If I did that," says Council President Garry Gernandt, "I'd have to see my chiropractor!"

Omaha receives millions -- 5% of the annual revenue generated by local cable companies. That won't change. Everything else will be part of the negotiation. The last agreement, counting extensions lasted 20-years according to city officials.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/90805439.html

Last edited by billiefan2000; 04-14-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 AM

btw:

if the so-called religious programs want to be back on basic

demand they be moved to cox channel 2

where 2 local church's air their shows on the network on a mostly paid program lineup

Kountze Memorial Lutheran Church airs on sunday mornings and I think the other one is Faith Temple COGIC

I am still waiting for Daystar Daystar Television Network - Home to come to Omaha on KOHA channel 48

some of the so-called religious/christian programs on channel 109/23 pushed false teachings

Barry Vennard of Unity Church

and the St. Luke UMC of Omaha show and that weird guy who had the weird Toy Box Ministries show were suspect to say the least

btw

only shows I really ever saw on channel 109 (when it was on 23) that were any good were

Reagan wilson 's straight talk pro-life show

E! Production studios

and Video Diversity

Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
I used to enjoy calling in to heckle Ernie. I once asked him why he was so racist.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I used to enjoy calling in to heckle Ernie. I once asked him why he was so racist.

I think more people should call ernie on his show and ask him that

ask him why he attacks any black people who are actually trying to stop the gang problem in north omaha would be worth asking also

Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I think more people should call ernie on his show and ask him that

ask him why he attacks any black people who are actually trying to stop the gang problem in north omaha would be worth asking also

He told me he wasn't racist though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: