Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:06 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,044,230 times

Advertisements

In the wake of all the high profile police/civilian interactions (NY, MO, SC) where the civilian ended up dead, it seems as though if the person had simply complied with the cop, done as they were asked, etc, then they'd be alive today.

Instead, in all of these cases, these guys decided to fight back, resist, run, and it cost them their lives.

So, should you always comply with cop, regardless of how wrong you think he/she is, regardless of their powertrip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 08:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
In a sense yes, because getting s****y with them is just going to make matters worse. Don't get me wrong, I don't blindly follow or worship authority, because there are a lot of bulls*** laws that we could stand to eliminate. But there are ways to handle it via proper legal channels if the cop is out of line! We're hearing more and more stories of rouge cops acting above the law, so the way I see it is live to fight another day! If you want to change the the corruption within the ranks of the police then you need to make that change at the top, meaning vote their bosses out that allow any of the shadiness that goes on with no accountability, or legislate laws that you don't agree with!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 AM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
Yes. Comply, always.

A person can file a complaint against the officer later if he/she has potentially abused his/her power.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:32 AM

45,613 posts, read 27,230,182 times
If there is an issue - politely state what you believe the truth to be. Do what you can to keep the adrenaline level as low as possible.

It's really a lack of self control that causes people to run or fight back with the authorities.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
No. You can't change things if you are not harmed. ie: Those who were arrested for filming police officers. If they simply put their camera's away there is no case. No harm done. Unfortunately they had to get arrested to have a case.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,259,088 times
Yes. They have every right and power to get you to comply. Resisting is illegal.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:35 AM

30,449 posts, read 19,211,902 times
A good question. In almost every case, the answer is yes, you should comply even if they are telling you something that is incorrect becasue you cannot reason with most cops...they expect and demand your capitulation. You can alwaysgo back and file a omplaint or lawsuit.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Yes. They have every right and power to get you to comply. Resisting is illegal.
But what if you arent under arrest? For example, say they come to your home and want to come in to "talk"..

HELL NO.. You step outside and talk.

Want to search the vehicle, again HELL NO..

I dont have anything to hide, I just value my privacy.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:37 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
In the wake of all the high profile police/civilian interactions (NY, MO, SC) where the civilian ended up dead, it seems as though if the person had simply complied with the cop, done as they were asked, etc, then they'd be alive today.

Instead, in all of these cases, these guys decided to fight back, resist, run, and it cost them their lives.

So, should you always comply with cop, regardless of how wrong you think he/she is, regardless of their powertrip?
Preface - nobody on this forum loathes our government from top to bottom more than I do, and I am on record numerous times referring to the police as centurions, agents of tyranny, attack dogs of the oligarchy, etc. In almost every case, I will believe that the incident would never have even occurred were it not for the naked tyranny of our oppressive government, and I almost always side with the individual, their freedom and natural rights, etc.

That said...yes, you should comply with police. If they are wrong, we have courts, lawyers, the ACLU, the SPLC, the media, etc to sort all that out. Arguing with someone who is armed, already sees everyone and everything as a potential threat, and has both authority and legal precedence on their side in any confrontation is foolish. Be polite, be compliant, yes/no sir/ma'am, even, calm tones, no quick movements, etc. And again, this from a guy with an anarchy "A" tattoo who refers to the government as Leviathan.

I HATE THE GOVERNMENT, I HATE OUR POLICE STATE, I HATE EVERY POSSIBLE ABUSE OF MY NATURAL RIGHTS....but I am not stupid, and I know that the proper time and place to settle an argument with law enforcement is inside a courtroom or a lawyer's office, where the cop and I are on equal footing. It is not on the street where the cop has every advantage possible and all roads lead to my physical harm up to and including death.

"Damn the man" is a wonderful philosophy, and I am all about it, but a wise man knows not to protest looking down the barrel of a gun. Read the law, hire a lawyer, take it to court. You'll live longer.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
A good question. In almost every case, the answer is yes, you should comply even if they are telling you something that is incorrect becasue you cannot reason with most cops...they expect and demand your capitulation. You can alwaysgo back and file a omplaint or lawsuit.
I had a very similar conversation with a lawyer, who explained to me that if you comply with a cops request, you cant sue and your ability to complain is diminished since they only asked, and you voluntarily complied to the request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies