Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times

Advertisements

How Do Conservatives View America’s Domestic Problems?...Problems? What Problems?

At any given time several threads deal with certain domestic situations (healthcare, jobs, economy, employment, immigration, etc).
Following the posts by conservatives I have compiled a brief summary of how conservatives respond:
*everything in America is going just great. All those who disagree are America haters and should move to other countries.
*everything in America is going just great. It’s the liberal media (that evil, sinister “liberal agenda”) that wants to see America fail.
*if any problems exist, all problems are caused by liberals, minorities, or non-citizens.
*various statistics, facts and figures to give America a low ranking in any public services compared to other modern nations are done by conspirative America-hating groups. All such findings and studies should be wholly rejected as worthless anti-American propaganda.
*there are only two ways to do everything in the universe; the conservative way or the wrong way.
Problems? What problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,219 times
Take everything you said on substitute "liberal" for "conservate" and this post would work perfectly when Clinton was president, also.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:45 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
There is a basic fundamental difference to problem solving between Liberals and Conservatives. Liberals want the Gov't to solve peoples problems, while Republicans push for personal responsibility. Given that the Gov't is pretty lacking in problem solving, but very good at spending my tax dollars on fruitless attempts in said problem solving, the choice is easy for me.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
There is a basic fundamental difference to problem solving between Liberals and Conservatives. Liberals want the Gov't to solve peoples problems, while Republicans push for personal responsibility. Given that the Gov't is pretty lacking in problem solving, but very good at spending my tax dollars on fruitless attempts in said problem solving, the choice is easy for me.
I would only correct you by saying that conservatives, rather than Republicans, push for personal responsibility, etc. Our current crop of Republicans in government are not what I would consider conservative.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
I would only correct you by saying that conservatives, rather than Republicans, push for personal responsibility, etc. Our current crop of Republicans in government are not what I would consider conservative.
By god Dunkel we agree on something.
I agree the guys that call themselves conservatives are not by my definition anything close to being a true conservative.
True conservatives believe in fiscal managment. Ie we run the country like we would our own check book. We don't spend money we don't have. To balance it we first look inward. Whats wrong with america now? Whats going to be wrong soon? And whats going to be wrong in the long term? Then work to solve the issues.
True conservatives are not against helping the small guy out. Things happen things go wrong. Help the person out.
I am for personal accountability and responsibility. Welfare people are not all bad people. Most no doubt are average joe's. The ones I condem are those who keep making babies with absolutely no concern about who is going to pay for them. Contraception is free. Go to planned parenthood the options are out there.
Nation building? No true conservative is an advocate of nation building.
Wars should be the last resort. Fought to defend America... Not police the damn world.
Foreign aide? How can we afford foreign aid if even 1 american citizen wants to go to college but can't afford it? If even 1 american citizen is living on the streets at no fault of their own? If our spending is more than our revenue?
No the guys in office who claim to be conservative are anything but.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Although I am not exactly a conservative, I do have some right-wing leanings and I'd be willing to give this a shot.

Quote:
*everything in America is going just great. All those who disagree are America haters and should move to other countries
It depends on how much they are complaining and what they are complaining about. I think that if you want to change everything about a country that makes it unique, I think you should probably consider moving elsewhere. I'm by no means a "love it or leave it" kind of person, but when someone whines about the politics, the people, the food, the television shows, and absolutely everything else under the sun, maybe they should think about moving to another place that is obviously so much better.

Quote:
*everything in America is going just great. It’s the liberal media (that evil, sinister “liberal agenda”) that wants to see America fail.
While the "liberal media" thing is both annoying and not exactly true (FOX News anyone?), I think you'd be hard pressed to not admit that the media hypes everything. How else could have crime being going down during the Clinton years, yet the media was covering more crime than ever? How come the news media goes on about the millions of uninsured, yet forgets to mention that a healthy percentage of those earn enough that they could pay for a vast majority of procedures and operations without insurance? I don't think it is a liberal or conservative thing, I think it is lousy journalistic standards.

Quote:
*if any problems exist, all problems are caused by liberals, minorities, or non-citizens.
Depends on the problem. I don't like lumping liberals into one group because there are a number of different kinds of liberals, both in what they believe and how they act. Liberal can mean the American version of a social democrat, a welfare statist, a nanny-statist, a fiscal moderate who is libertarian on personal and social issues, a PC liberal, etc. Some problems are caused by some of them, most are not. I think the PC liberal is responsible for speech codes on a number of campuses which restricts debate in the name of tolerance. I think the hysteria about obesity and smoking is the fault of nanny-statist liberals. But that is pretty much about it and not to say that there aren't conservatives causing problems (but that is a different thread ).

And when you say minorities, it also depends on what you mean. Certain problems are more common in minority areas and are caused by people who belong to those minorities. Now, the racial or ethnic group doesn't cause the problems, but the problem is mostly restricted to those groups. For instance, there are white gang members, but a majority of the gang problem is concentrated in Black and Hispanic communities. While I am inclined to agree that racism and poverty add fuel to the fire, a lot of it is the result of plain anti-social behavior and should be treated as such by those who commit the crimes.

Quote:
*various statistics, facts and figures to give America a low ranking in any public services compared to other modern nations are done by conspirative America-hating groups. All such findings and studies should be wholly rejected as worthless anti-American propaganda.
Once again, it depends. The WHO healthcare systems' rankings are based heavily on how much government involvement in healthcare there is. I think it is fair enough to state that America is rated lower than many of those countries not because of flaws with the medical care itself, but rather by how much government involvement takes place. When live births, life expectancy, and quality of care are taken into account, the over all result is much less dramatic. Also, most of America's slightly lower life expectancy rate is the result of a higher homicide rate (which is a different issue all together) and a higher accident rate.

Another issue is crime. Not saying that crime isn't a problem, but you can also view it in perspective. America is about average for the global homicide rate, many other nations rank higher than the US, often with more than quadruple the murder rate and at one time the Netherlands had almost twice the homicide rate as the US (I believe that was 1995). Also, most Western nations have higher rates of other crimes, Canada has a higher rate of rape, Australia has a higher rate of car theft (last time I checked), you are more likely to be assaulted in New Zealand (ditto), etc.

It is not about America not having flaws, there are many, many flaws, but overall America is a pretty decent place at worst.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,768 times
And then you have us pesky Constitutionalists, who believe that our federal government should be bound by restrictions placed upon it when this republic was founded. Things like healthcare and education are non-issues at a federal level because there's no power granted to the federal government to regulate such issues. Although we want the government to actually follow its own laws, we'd settle for a free pass on their laws every time they ignored the Constitution.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
If conservatives are all for "personal responsibility," then why are they making such a big deal out of gay rights? That seems to be a prime example of conservatives and/or Republicans encouraging the government to meddle in the personal affairs of indviduals, a trait I thought was "LIBERAL." I'll gladly accept personal responsibility for my same-sex civil union on my Judgment Day, but I can't because the "conservative" Republicans who believe that the government shouldn't be involved in personal affairs also feel as if love is something that should be regulated. Hypocracy, anyone?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
If conservatives are all for "personal responsibility," then why are they making such a big deal out of gay rights? That seems to be a prime example of conservatives and/or Republicans encouraging the government to meddle in the personal affairs of indviduals, a trait I thought was "LIBERAL." I'll gladly accept personal responsibility for my same-sex civil union on my Judgment Day, but I can't because the "conservative" Republicans who believe that the government shouldn't be involved in personal affairs also feel as if love is something that should be regulated. Hypocracy, anyone?
This is why the linear political scale is broken.... it's really based upon X and Y axis, not just X.

There are Liberals, Conservatives, Libertarians, and Statists. Those of us who lean libertarian feel that personal responsibility means personal and economic freedom. So the government should stay out of my bedroom, and my wallet.

World's Smallest Political Quiz

Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Well, said.

I'm a libertarian, not a conservative. Although I do consider myself a conservative in that I dislike things like out wedlock births (not on moral grounds, but rather that it usually causes a child to be brought up in an unstable household) and generally distrust "progressives" who give themselves credit for every bit of progress.

But I have no problem with gay marriage. I wish gays well in regards to gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies