Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How do small businesses survive the current cost of minimum wage employees? If raising the minimum wage is enough to put a business out of business, then there was something wrong with how they were managing their money regardless of how little they were paying their employees.

As for this gym, the average monthly membership is $55, that means they only have 227 members. Each Gold's Gym has about 5,000 members. It sounds like this gym needs to increase membership numbers or go out of business.
Hmmm... So every starting business has to start as large as a Golds Gym? I guess you don't want to see many small business start ups. As much as you know about running a small business, you should open one and be a roaring success. Make sure you invest all you have and mortgage your home to get the doors open. Then pay each and every employee your definition of a fair wage. I just know you will be a gazillionaire in weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Let all the burger flippers leave the burger joints ( that you personally own and deride your living off of their labor) and then tell me what their worth is.
Fire all those demanding more because there will always be someone else to take their place. And when able, I would automate. They are worth what I decide to pay.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:41 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
In 1968 Fast food workers had to know how to correctly count back change, had to get a order correct without a button that says Whopper, add cheese, add pickles.. etc. In 1968 young people were willing to actually work... So Yes indeed.
In 1968 there wasn't the glut of workers. There were even factories which competed for workers with fast food establishments. On the downside, however, many potential civilian workers were fighting in Vietnam.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:27 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
The minimal wage should be replaced with a living wage. The living wage should be calculated based on what a single person would need to make in order to live on his own in his area without falling into poverty. Of course the living wage would vary by region. Married men should receive a living wage based on what he would need to make to support his wife and each child the married couple has. On top of this we should get rid of welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing, and all other forms of government assistance except for ones for the elderly and the disabled.

The police, firemen, teachers, those in the medical field and other "higher skilled" workers, etc should also recieve pay increases. I don't understand the facaination with having to work like a slave and still be struggling or this obsession with getting a "marketable skill". I also don't understand why it seems like some people want to make things difficult for people. Some people also do not want a career and are content with working at McDonald's. Some people just want a simple job that pays their bills. Why is that wrong or bad? Some of y'all act like customer service workers are dirt beneath the dirt. Not everyone can get another job or even a second or third job nor should they have to.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i had to get a part for my truck yesterday, look up the part number gave it to the part house, who was the manager on duty, properly making 12 dollars a hour, with the part number he still got it wrong, so had to drive back up there, spend three dollar more in gas. so that an increase of six dollar over the price of the part (gas two trips). he was a manager, he had the correct part number and still could not complete the task correctly.

some people don't deserved $15 a hour. Some people don't deserve minimum wages. If you making minimum wages and using it has a livable wages, you are too stupid to be in the work force.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Hmmm... So every starting business has to start as large as a Golds Gym? I guess you don't want to see many small business start ups. As much as you know about running a small business, you should open one and be a roaring success. Make sure you invest all you have and mortgage your home to get the doors open. Then pay each and every employee your definition of a fair wage. I just know you will be a gazillionaire in weeks.
Well a small business start up gym might not have that many employees if it has a membership number that is too low. The owner would work more hours until business picked up to afford more employees. Small businesses that can't afford minimum wage shouldn't get a pass to hire employees for less than that. They should first focus on increasing revenue, in this case, increase membership before hiring new employees.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Its going to be real funny when the TPP is approved and the few remaining jobs left will make $15/ hr look good.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
How do small businesses survive the current cost of minimum wage employees? If raising the minimum wage is enough to put a business out of business, then there was something wrong with how they were managing their money regardless of how little they were paying their employees.

As for this gym, the average monthly membership is $55, that means they only have 227 members. Each Gold's Gym has about 5,000 members. It sounds like this gym needs to increase membership numbers or go out of business.
This is yet another example why liberalism is a mental disease.

Have you not considered what would happen to the workers if the said gym goes out of business? Why do I feel the need to tell you that the workers you couldn't care less would be making $0 v.s. previously $7.5/hour.

Even they want to follow your "advice" to increase membership, wouldn't they need money to do more advertisement or promotions? How would they get the money when their money was used to pay for the wage increase?

Old 04-19-2015, 09:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is yet another example why liberalism is a mental disease.

Have you not considered what would happen to the workers if the said gym goes out of business?
Said workers would find work at more success gym. That is why far right wing is a mental disease because they expect everyone to support failure.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Said workers would find work at more success gym. That is why far right wing is a mental disease because they expect everyone to support failure.
LOL. If they could find better work in a market literally having 300 million people who can the job, why would they need to work for the deadbeat gym to begin with?

Can this conversation become any dumber please? I thought Post #35 was rock bottom but Post #38 just extended the dumbness to another level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies