Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:41 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Liberals do not think about the long term effects of their decisions, everything with them is a quick fix.....but I'm starting to feel the same way about repubs....
I'm on the fence, so......

and, when I hear someone say they have more empathy for the criminal then the victim, that makes me crazy....and I want to tear my stuffed teddy bear apart...but then I think, "Who would I have to talk to".

Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Far too many conservatives on CD are nasty, mean trolls... My experience with conservatives in real life is the complete opposite, they may disagree with me on issues, but I find them to be thoughtful caring people who are quite capable of having a real debate on issues that we don't agree on. Most of my conservative friends are quite liberal on social issues, whereas on CD it seems that about 90% of cons think that people on welfare are dirt bag drug addicts who deserve to die, and we should somehow round up 11 million undocumented people and either arrest or deport them.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Far too many conservatives on CD are nasty, mean trolls... My experience with conservatives in real life is the complete opposite, they may disagree with me on issues, but I find them to be thoughtful caring people who are quite capable of having a real debate on issues that we don't agree on. Most of my conservative friends are quite liberal on social issues, whereas on CD it seems that about 90% of cons think that people on welfare are dirt bag drug addicts who deserve to die, and we should somehow round up 11 million undocumented people and either arrest or deport them.
you are absolutley right...what really gets me, is when people come in here and generalize....about all repubs or all liberals, as if they all came out of the same exact mold....

but my thoughts on welfare is this....
everyone at some time or other needs help....but when one doesn't help themselves, and lives off of welfare, well, welfare breed welfare....excluding people who cannot work for health reasons....
there comes a time, when it is actually stealing from the nation, your neighbor, etc....
I come from a time when most people were to proud to collect any kind of welfare....excluding people who needed help or starve from time to time...but this country this government has made people dependent on others, and that shouldn't be....

and I've never heard of anyone saying that people on welfare should die...but I myself, knew people on welfare, who shouldn't have been collecting it....and you do to, probably....that is what upsets people....people that do drugs and collect welfare and have no intention of getting a job...or women who have more children just so they can collect welfare...those are the dirt bags. And their kids will probably turn out doing the same...welfare breeds welfare.

and that is a fair and just statement...but saying people should die, no, that is wrong.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:04 PM

698 posts, read 587,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
CD attracts a lot of people from Stormfront and Free Republic, two places not exactly known for intellect and decency.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
CD attracts a lot of people from Stormfront and Free Republic, two places not exactly known for intellect and decency.
oh, that was sweet......no one has to tell you to "use your words".

Old 04-24-2015, 12:20 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think you are right.

I am the only conservative artist, all my artist friends are liberals. I dated two engineers, both are conservative.

My own theory is this, In recent years, the dividing point has become open-mindedness, which suggests conservatives are, unflatteringly, defined by being closed-minded. So many artists believe they are liberals. (hence, trendy) It is not politically correct for me to say, but.. oh well, I know this is the truth. Many artists (especially the very successful ones) are closet conservative, although they will NEVER admit it.

when you really think about it, “To conserve” means “to save.” Nothing wrong with it.

"engineers, both are conservative. "
I can confirm that. As an Engineer for a large Aerospace firm most all of my colleagues identify as conservative. They are not Necessarily as the left categorizes who a Conservative is, all are very educated, many are not very religious, and most are accepting or indifferent to gay marriage.

Many artists (especially the very successful ones) are closet conservative, although they will NEVER admit it.

Do you mean financially successful?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM

752 posts, read 566,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
"and liberals tend to go on "feelings" rather than real evidence."
Pure projection. Do y'all really think you're qualified to dispute the scientific consensus on evolution, climate change, etc.? Seriously -- does it ever occur to you to walk into an operating room and try your hand at brain surgery? No? Well then what's the basis of the skepticism? I'll tell you: because you deeply, desperately want something to be true that just ain't so.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:42 PM

People are people, and I don't believe you can throw a group of people into one generalization, it is foolish to do so....some liberals want what others do not...same with Repubs....not one of us agree 100% on all issues, and neither does a group of people....

There are conservatives that are liberal, and visa versa, and to think otherwise, is just plain stupid.

Sorry but it is....and I think honestly, the OP knew where this was going and it gave others a simple chance to slam their opponents...thats all, nothing more, nothing less....

Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
People are people, and I don't believe you can throw a group of people into one generalization, it is foolish to do so....some liberals want what others do not...same with Repubs....not one of us agree 100% on all issues, and neither does a group of people....

There are conservatives that are liberal, and visa versa, and to think otherwise, is just plain stupid.

Sorry but it is....and I think honestly, the OP knew where this was going and it gave others a simple chance to slam their opponents...thats all, nothing more, nothing less....
Well said, for 90% of the population having a foot on both sides of the divide is true. Overall people pull more faith into their tribe and adamantly say they are a conservative or a liberal when it isn't the case.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:54 PM

39,227 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"engineers, both are conservative. "
I can confirm that. As an Engineer for a large Aerospace firm most all of my colleagues identify as conservative. They are not Necessarily as the left categorizes who a Conservative is, all are very educated, many are not very religious, and most are accepting or indifferent to gay marriage.

Many artists (especially the very successful ones) are closet conservative, although they will NEVER admit it.

Do you mean financially successful?
Uh huh

Both my exes are like that. One graduated from MIT, the other one Cornell. Both are conservative, pro gay marriage, not sure about the religious part.

My rich artist friends, Closet conservative.

I don't care for far left or far right, both are annoying as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies