Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes because calling people stupid, isnt hateful at all.
OK, now I get it.

You've mistakenly confused me with Gov Jindal (R-LA)

Those were his words, as I've already made clear.

Quote:
The link in the OP is nothing more than fear mongering. Do you really think educational spending is going to be cut 82%.. Really? Talking about stupid...
It would be stupid to contradict those figures in the linked articles w/o some backing info. Not to mention blindly hyperpartisan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
OK, now I get it.

You've mistakenly confused me with Gov Jindal (R-LA)

Those were his words, as I've already made clear.

It would be stupid to contradict those figures in the linked articles w/o some backing info. Not to mention blindly hyperpartisan.

No I mistakenly confused you with someone who was smart enough to understand that when you post nosensical information, you should expect someone to reply calling it as such..

If I cared about his words, i'd be calling him up, but its YOU here posting it

Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 AM

Talking Please stick to the topic

Quote:
No I mistakenly confused you with someone who was smart enough to understand that when you post nosensical information, you should expect someone to reply calling it as such..

If I cared about his words, i'd be calling him up, but its YOU here posting it
You're having a hard time discussing the topic of the thread.

I'm not it.

Carry on.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Louisiana's flagship university began putting together the paperwork for declaring financial exigency this week when the Legislature appeared to make little progress on finding a state budget solution, according to F. King Alexander, president and chancellor of LSU. Being in a state of financial exigency means a university's funding situation is so difficult that the viability of the entire institution is threatened."

LSU drafting 'academic bankruptcy' plan in response to state budget crisis | NOLA.com

"The state budget has gone from a nearly $1 billion budget surplus in 2007-08 to a projected $1.6 billion shortfall for the budget year that begins July 1. Jindal, who long ago took a pledge never to raise taxes, has cut higher education and resorted to unsustainable one-time remedies such as draining reserve funds and selling state assets."

Big tax cuts come back to bite states: Our view

Higher education faces an 82 percent cut in state funding in Louisiana due to Bobby Jindal's insane allegiance to Grover Norquist. The Louisiana governor is certainly doing his part to assure that the GOP--and everyone in Louisiana--remains part of "the stupid party."
really..you want to blame the GOP???

Ratings for LSU credit outlook lowered from positive to stable | State | The New Orleans Advocate — New Orleans, Louisiana

Moody’s Investors Service has lowered LSU’s credit outlook from positive to stable

“Years of slashing state funding for our public colleges and universities and raising tuition, which puts college out of reach for many of Louisiana’s kids, are catching up with us. We need to stabilize funding for higher education.â€

According to Moody’s, the revision “reflects limited prospects for sustained revenue growth due to potential reductions in state operating funding, tight state control of tuition pricing and pricing sensitivity limiting out-of-state enrollment revenue growth.â€

LSU borrows money for building projects. Moody’s assigned an A1 rating to $131 million in Auxiliary Revenue and Refunding Bonds, Series 2015, for student housing facility improvements.
----
WHAT COULD MAKE THE RATING GO UP

• Enhanced autonomy from state to control tuition price setting and benefit administration

• Improved operating surpluses leading to material and sustained growth in flexible reserves given thin liquidity

WHAT COULD MAKE THE RATING GO DOWN

• Decline in the state's credit profile or adverse changes to the state student grant program

• Deterioration of operating performance arising from enrollment, operating expenses, or state support pressures

• Material increase in leverage due to borrowing beyond expectations or use of financial reserves

• Substantial decline in liquidity cushion
https://www.moodys.com/research/Mood...m_medium=email

===========================================

LSU explores academic bankruptcy despite increasing SEC football related revenue

The topic of drastic cost cutting measures on the academic side while salaries increase on the athletic side is always a controversial topic.

The bottom line is that the trend of top-tier college athletics generating increasing amounts of revenues while college academic funding continues to be a challenge is likely to continue.

Interestingly, it’s not uncommon for university officials and administrators to double down on the athletic side of the equation while academic programs are cut. It can be justified when you consider the LSU football team playing a nationally televised game on Saturday night to be the best form of advertising that the university can present. This advertising, many hope, will help keep the students coming and the government backed student loan payments flowing.

This won’t be the last time we hear of a college football powerhouse university having financial difficulties

LSU explores academic bankruptcy despite increasing SEC football related revenue

hmmm...so its not about GOP policies

======================================

LSU hit with NCAA sanctions over recruiting violations involving Alabama signee

LSU is banned from signing early enrollees to financial aid agreements for the next two years, and has lost 10 percent of its recruiting evaluation days in 2015.

The inability to sign players to financial aid agreements for two years is a big blow to LSU. It has been an increasingly valuable tool as more and more recruits decide to forgo the second-half of their senior year and enroll early in college.

LSU hit with NCAA sanctions over recruiting violations involving Alabama signee | AL.com

let me guess...blame the GOP for that too

Old 04-24-2015, 08:37 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're having a hard time discussing the topic of the thread.

I'm not it.

Carry on.

Except you havent once.. All you did was post "Republicans are stupid" while at the same time buying into the claim educational funding is going to be cut 82%..

yeah, right..

Old 04-24-2015, 08:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Public universities are not businesses!

Unlike a business, shortfalls in university operating budgets are the result of CHOICES not the business cycle!

We choose to cut spending.

We choose to.... oh what is the point.
Ture. I recall Our public university estimates 25% of funding is from tuition. The remainder is from tax base, research grants, endowments,etc.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Ture. I recall Our public university estimates 25% of funding is from tuition. The remainder is from tax base, research grants, endowments,etc.
As I pointed out earlier, LSU has been one of the highest funded universities by a state at over 40% but of course, that will change based on oil revenues going down. But correct, you adjust with raising tuition, seeking more endowment funds, getting rid of wasteful spending, etc.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Except you havent once.. All you did was post "Republicans are stupid" while at the same time buying into the claim educational funding is going to be cut 82%..

yeah, right..
I didn't see any 82% figures in either of the OP articles. I just see it in the Op's narrative. I haven't addressed it. You have.

BTW, I live in your head.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Its easy to blame coaches' salaries, which are obscene,
The coaches salaries are easily paid for by the football program and that most likely includes every coach for every sport they have. The football/men's basketball programs at these large Universities often prop up the rest of the sports department that lose money.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Universities who can't afford to pay their bills based on their own tuition, shouldn't be in operation.... especially universities who try to use the media and "bankruptcy" to extort money from taxpayers...
Hogwash.

The American university system is a national treasure and the envy of the World. The systematic defunding of our colleges will haunt future generations and is nothing short of a tragedy.

Higher education will only continue to get more important with respect to maintaining economic competitiveness and our children and grandchildren will pay a heavy price for our generation's shortsighted stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies