Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

It's an open secret among African-American men and boys that people are often afraid of them. This week, we've brought that conversation to the airways and social media.

We spoke with Paul Butler, a Georgetown University law professor, and Doyin Richard, a blogger at a parenting blog, Daddydoinwork.com, to talk about how these experiences have affected them.

Fear Of Black Men: How Society Sees Black Men And How They See Themselves : NPR

Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM

30,378 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Since black men are 6% of the population and commit 50% of the murders in the USA, you should at least be cognizant of where you are and who is around you. I grew up in a majority black community and learned early to be aware when multiple young black males were nearby. If they stopped committing these crimes, the issue would go away but until they do, you would be foolish to ignore reality.

In a way, I understand how they must feel as I'm 6´6" and athletic and often frighten people with my sheer size.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,836,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It's an open secret among African-American men and boys that people are often afraid of them.
Not so secret.

Even Jesse Jackson is afraid:
Quote:
“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

Jesse Jackson

Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Not so secret.

Even Jesse Jackson is afraid:
Yep, Movies play it up, the media plays it up, the music industry plays it up, people in the community play it up, no wonder why Jessie jackson said it. It is interwined into the social fabric of the world.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:24 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
It honestly doesn't bother me at all.

...let them be scared.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Since black men are 6% of the population and commit 50% of the murders in the USA, you should at least be cognizant of where you are and who is around you. I grew up in a majority black community and learned early to be aware when multiple young black males were nearby. If they stopped committing these crimes, the issue would go away but until they do, you would be foolish to ignore reality.

In a way, I understand how they must feel as I'm 6´6" and athletic and often frighten people with my sheer size.
And of those murders, the vast majority of the victims are themselves Black. By that fact, the group who should be the most afraid of Black men are Black men. Yes, 50% of the murders are committed by Black men. And it is conveniently forgotten that Black men are also 50% of the nation's murder victims.

And it is mostly underclass Blacks committing those murders. Black people like me get very upset about being treated like someone to be feared. I would because I've done nothing for someone to fear me.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Just who is supposed to be scared of them? I don't know anyone who is afraid of blacks.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:41 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It's an open secret among African-American men and boys that people are often afraid of them. This week, we've brought that conversation to the airways and social media.

We spoke with Paul Butler, a Georgetown University law professor, and Doyin Richard, a blogger at a parenting blog, Daddydoinwork.com, to talk about how these experiences have affected them.

Fear Of Black Men: How Society Sees Black Men And How They See Themselves : NPR
I can only speak for myself, I am not afraid of black men.

I am 5'7" and 118lb and I am a mixed white/asian girl. I always lived in a good neighborhood, my neighbor reminds me of Dr. Ben Carson. He is about the only black guy on my street.

My family owns several retail shops in the shopping malls, overwhelming majority of my black customers are very nice, overwhelming majority of my customers are nice.

My brother's best friend is a black guy, but he was a Marine.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:42 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
It honestly doesn't bother me at all.

...let them be scared.
I carry adequate protection around with me everywhere I go so I couldn't care less if I'm approached by a group of black males. They don't scare me in the slightest.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:56 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
I think its just people being cautious for legitimate reasons. If I see a tiger, I'll be cautious instead of assuming it's friendly. If I see a group of young white males with a certain look, I'll be cautious. If I see a group of young black males in an area known for crime, I'll be cautious. If I see Bill Cosby walking down the street, I won't think twice about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies