Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I've been run into by bicyclists while those fools were riding in the sidewalk with me walking, 1 rider I almost sent flying into traffic.

Bike riders NEED to be nailed by the cops when breaking traffic laws. Period.
Lol...you're from Bullhead, right?

Now how are they supposed to be chasing cyclists around when they're too busy chasing meth-heads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I
Plus the officer said that he was going to ask the cyclist where he was going and where he came from...two answers I NEVER give the police. Can't a man ride a bicycling through any public place or neighborhood?

Regardless, the cyclist is paralyzed for life...
Very unfortunate incidence.

In term of the bolded, I had a similar experience. I have many friends from different racial, economical backgrounds.

Three years ago, I drove to a poor Southern California neighborhood because my friend's son was battling with chickenpox. He was a single father and they had not left the house for days. I decided to drop some food by their door.

10:30PM and I was driving a BMWZ8 silver in color at the time. I was stopped by two officers and I didn't do ANYTHING wrong. (Maybe I drove too slow because I was looking for their address, but driving slow was not the reason why the officers stopped me) The officers asked me questions (where are you going? standard questions) and decided to let me go.

I joked with my friends "LOL, a mixed white/asian chick has been racially profiled. What is the deal? Do I look like a criminal to you?"

my friend said, "a young girl who drives a nice car in a poor neighborhood at night, they perhaps think you are trying to buy drugs."

I don't know if they had the right to stop me when I did nothing wrong. But this has been my experience. The bottom line is that in order to stay safe, I did everything they asked me to do. I answered all the questions because I sure didn't want to spend a night with the cops.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:05 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Lol...you're from Bullhead, right?

Now how are they supposed to be chasing cyclists around when they're too busy chasing meth-heads?
Why not? Many bike riders here ARE meth heads. Not all, but way too many.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Very unfortunate incidence.

In term of the bolded, I had a similar experience. I have many friends from different racial, economical backgrounds.

Three years ago, I drove to a poor Southern California neighborhood because my friend's son was battling with chickenpox. He was a single father and they had not left the house for days. I decided to drop some food by their door.

10:30PM and I was driving a BMWZ8 silver in color at the time. I was stopped by two officers and I didn't do ANYTHING wrong. They asked me questions and decided to let me go.

I joked with my friends "LOL, a mixed white/asian chick has been racially profiled. What is the deal? Do I look like a criminal to you?"

my friend said, "a young girl who drives a nice car in a poor neighborhood at night, they perhaps think you are trying to buy drugs."

I don't know if they had the right to stop me when I did nothing wrong. But this has been my experience. The bottom line is that in order to stay safe, I did all they asked me to do.
I do what I'm asked...but I NEVER tell them where I'm going or where I'm coming from.

All of my info is on my license, registration and proof of insurance. My father taught me this at a young age. Anything beyond that I'll only tell a lawyer.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I do what I'm asked...but I NEVER tell them where I'm going or where I'm coming from.

All of my info is on my license, registration and proof of insurance. My father taught me this at a young age. Anything beyond that I'll only tell a lawyer.
Yeah. But who knows what these cops would do to us if we don't answer their questions. So I told them what they asked to avoid troubles.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Why not? Many bike riders here ARE meth heads. Not all, but way too many.
LMAO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah. But who knows what these cops would do to us if we don't answer their questions. So I told them what they asked to avoid troubles.
True...but they're free to arrest me. Better that than to say something that could put me near where a crime took place and I fit the description. Lol

Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
LMAO!

True...but they're free to arrest me. Better that than to say something that could put me near where a crime took place and I fit the description. Lol
yeah

Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
I don't want to get into the details of the shooting....mostly because I already know what most people's opinion will be based on their politics. You can read the link and draw your own conclusions. That's not the part of the story that concerns me.

However, the officer alluded to this notion that the bicycle rider somehow didn't belong in the neighborhood, or was at least out of place. How does an officer determine something like that if a guy is riding a bike?

Plus the officer said that he was going to ask the cyclist where he was going and where he came from...two answers I NEVER give the police. Can't a man ride a bicycling through any public place or neighborhood?

Regardless, the cyclist is paralyzed for life...

here's the link:

Florida deputy stops black man on bike, shoots him 4 seconds later - Chicago Tribune
Florida deputy stops black man on bike, shoots him 4 seconds later
Yes, a man can ride a bicycle in a public space. The police should also be profiling if they're having problems with a certain demographic. I know I have a lot less trouble with cops at 44 y/o than when I was 18 y/o. Why? Because 18 y/o's cause a lot more trouble in my neighborhood than 44 y/o's.

Still, this issue of ongoing police shootings is troubling, more troubling still is why this has turned into an "ONLY Black lives matter" thing? Look at the title of the link. Why is his skin color important? More than twice as many White people are shot by police every year as Black people are. To consistently exclude the majority from the conversation, or worse yet, try to sell a phony narrative of "privilege", does nothing but play into the divide and conquer strategy that has kept the poor down for centuries. What the working class and underclass need are unifiers, not dividers.

MLK wasn't a threat to the establishment when he was leading marches of just Black people marching in Selma. The Government LOVED that because it terrified many White people and created division. When he led the 'March on Washington', where 200k+ White, Black, Yellow, Red and Brown people showed up and marched together, that's when he became dangerous because it was no longer a racial movement, but a social movement. Same with Malcolm X. When he was spewing his "blue-eyed devils" talk, the authorities LOVED him and he was o threat to anyone. It was just a racial movement among Blacks. After his pilgrimage to Mecca though, when he admitted his past mistakes and decided there was good in all races that he became a unifier and a threat, because now it was a social movement. Fast forward to today. "Black lives matter" is absolutely NOT about 'Social Justice', because it's just a racial movement among Blacks. It can more accurately be called a 'Black justice' movement. Some wise soul in our modern times will eventually figure this out & create a strong movement by including Whites, rather excluding and blaming Whites.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Yes, a man can ride a bicycle in a public space. The police should also be profiling if they're having problems with a certain demographic. I know I have a lot less trouble with cops at 44 y/o than when I was 18 y/o. Why? Because 18 y/o's cause a lot more trouble in my neighborhood than 44 y/o's.

Still, this issue of ongoing police shootings is troubling, more troubling still is why this has turned into an "ONLY Black lives matter" thing? Look at the title of the link. Why is his skin color important? More than twice as many White people are shot by police every year as Black people are. To consistently exclude the majority from the conversation, or worse yet, try to sell a phony narrative of "privilege", does nothing but play into the divide and conquer strategy that has kept the poor down for centuries. What the working class and underclass need are unifiers, not dividers.

MLK wasn't a threat to the establishment when he was leading marches of just Black people marching in Selma. The Government LOVED that because it terrified many White people and created division. When he led the 'March on Washington', where 200k+ White, Black, Yellow, Red and Brown people showed up and marched together, that's when he became dangerous because it was no longer a racial movement, but a social movement. Same with Malcolm X. When he was spewing his "blue-eyed devils" talk, the authorities LOVED him and he was o threat to anyone. It was just a racial movement among Blacks. After his pilgrimage to Mecca though, when he admitted his past mistakes and decided there was good in all races that he became a unifier and a threat, because now it was a social movement. Fast forward to today. "Black lives matter" is absolutely NOT about 'Social Justice', because it's just a racial movement among Blacks. It can more accurately be called a 'Black justice' movement. Some wise soul in our modern times will eventually figure this out & create a strong movement by including Whites, rather excluding and blaming Whites.
Ok...fine.

But I'm not really looking to talk about race per se...I just wanna know if I can ride my bike in a neighborhood that isn't my own without being "suspicious" or targeted because I don't look like I belong to the area.

I mean, cyclists ALWAYS ride in areas that they don't live in.

This guy supposedly broke a traffic law, but it's really hard for me to draw a straight line from innocently riding your bike (although you may not have been riding properly) and you have no weapons on you (except for a broken cellphone) with no apparent attempt to commit any real crime...and you're paralyzed for life by that evening.

That's a lot to take in. And I can't comprehend what can precipitate such an occurrence.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:33 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
MLK wasn't a threat to the establishment when he was leading marches of just Black people marching in Selma. The Government LOVED that because it terrified many White people and created division. When he led the 'March on Washington', where 200k+ White, Black, Yellow, Red and Brown people showed up and marched together, that's when he became dangerous because it was no longer a racial movement, but a social movement.
Except the march on Washington came before the march on Selma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies