Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 AM

52,829 posts, read 34,710,167 times

Advertisements

we've had heroin, meth, pcp, LSD, pot, crack, then 'bath salts' and 'krokodil.' coming next to a town near you is flakka:
Quote:
One man ran naked through a Florida neighborhood, tried to have sex with a tree and told police he was the mythical god Thor. Another ran nude down a busy city street in broad daylight, convinced a pack of German shepherds was pursuing him.

Two others tried separately to break into the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. They said they thought people were chasing them; one wound up impaled on a fence.

The common element to these and other bizarre incidents in Florida in the last few months is flakka, an increasingly popular synthetic designer drug. Also known as gravel and readily available for $5 or less a vial, it’s a growing problem for police after bursting on the scene in 2013.

Increasingly popular synthetic drug behind bizarre crimes - WTOP
stuff like the above is so dangerous that I can't see any justification for it every being legal.
pot, sure. maybe even LSD. but krokodil, meth, bath salts, flakka?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 AM

45,292 posts, read 26,541,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
we've had heroin, meth, pcp, LSD, pot, crack, then 'bath salts' and 'krokodil.' coming next to a town near you is flakka:

stuff like the above is so dangerous that I can't see any justification for it every being legal.
Yeah the government approved stuff doesnt make anyone do such things

Old 04-30-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah the government approved stuff doesnt make anyone do such things
right. I've never heard of government-approved drugs causing people to try to have sex with a tree.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:

The Baltimore rioters need something, and fast. They are getting tired. Meth or crack could keep them going for few more days.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,013,926 times
Quote:

End the war on weed, and people may not seek more dangerous substances.

Quote:
right. I've never heard of government-approved drugs causing people to try to have sex with a tree.

Hmmm.... if you take enough over the counter cough syrup from what I understand you can trip balls! Also, ever see someone jacked up on inhalants? INHALANTS for Christ sakes! Run of the mill stuff you can buy at the grocery store, or Home Depot! I watched an episode of Intervention where this woman was going through 10 cans of computer duster a day! You would have thought she was on meth or bath salts! Which leads me back to my point. With cannabis being illegal, people are seeking other ways to cop a buzz, and sometimes that leads to deadly consequences! Again, legalization of cannabis may deter people from seeking out other substances!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
End the war on weed, and people may not seek more dangerous substances.

Hmmm.... if you take enough over the counter cough syrup from what I understand you can trip balls! Also, ever see someone jacked up on inhalants? INHALANTS for Christ sakes! Run of the mill stuff you can buy at the grocery store, or Home Depot! I watched an episode of Intervention where this woman was going through 10 cans of computer duster a day! You would have thought she was on meth or bath salts! Which leads me back to my point. With cannabis being illegal, people are seeking other ways to cop a buzz, and sometimes that leads to deadly consequences! Again, legalization of cannabis may deter people from seeking out other substances!
yeah, I basically agree with you. if marijuana was more easily available, a lot of people would just be content with that.

but a certain segment of the population is always going to want something more dangerous and 'exciting' no matter how much it messes them up.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
yeah, I basically agree with you. if marijuana was more easily available, a lot of people would just be content with that.

but a certain segment of the population is always going to want something more dangerous and 'exciting' no matter how much it messes them up.

I know I am, and it's still illegal in my state. Oh don't get me wrong, I like having myself a couple of cold ones too, but I have never had the urge to try anything like meth, heroin, coke, or halucinogens! A) I'm just not that much of a risk taker, and B) I personally think it takes a special kind of stupid to do so! I do however feel that it should not be illegal for an adult to do so! If your action causes harm to another person....well... we already have laws in place for that! Or.... if you sell to kids too!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,014,967 times
Well, if they're always going to want it how will making them into criminals help them or anyone else? Frankly, if they want to ruin their lives, it's their lives to ruin; the rest of us can just keep away from them, all without the immense financial and human cost, not to mention the manifold damage drug prohibition has caused across the world.

People ruin their lives for all sorts of other reasons yet we don't have governments pass laws and fight wars against the means they use to ruin themselves and criminalize the users in a futile effort to reform those people at gunpoint; we just accept that it is neither a legitimate nor prudent object for the exercise of government power, do the best we can to reform them without using violence, and if we cannot we accept it and move on. Drugs shouldn't be any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I know I am, and it's still illegal in my state. Oh don't get me wrong, I like having myself a couple of cold ones too, but I have never had the urge to try anything like meth, heroin, coke, or halucinogens! A) I'm just not that much of a risk taker, and B) I personally think it takes a special kind of stupid to do so!
I agree with point B; anyone stupid enough to take such drugs has a bigger problem than just the drugs.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Well, if they're always going to want it how will making them into criminals help them or anyone else? Frankly, if they want to ruin their lives, it's their lives to ruin; the rest of us can just keep away from them, all without the immense financial and human cost, not to mention the manifold damage drug prohibition has caused across the world.

People ruin their lives for all sorts of other reasons yet we don't have governments pass laws and fight wars against the means they use to ruin themselves and criminalize the users in a futile effort to reform those people at gunpoint; we just accept that it is neither a legitimate nor prudent object for the exercise of government power, do the best we can to reform them without using violence, and if we cannot we accept it and move on. Drugs shouldn't be any different.

I agree with point B; anyone stupid enough to take such drugs has a bigger problem than just the drugs.

Trying to reform them at gunpoint truly is counter-productive! It only makes matters worse! Yet many still think that is the solution! "Let's lock 'em up, because of something they ingested! That'll show 'em!"......

Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,593,901 times
Quote:

Sure there is. Give the Darwin Award candidates a better method of taking themselves out of the gene pool before they spread their seed. It does the world a favor. It's not worth the money and effort to protect morons from themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies